DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Buying a new TV.

Old 11-27-07, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new TV.

Alright, I think I finally might be taking the plunge. I've narrowed down by list to following brands and models. I'm looking at spending around $3500 for a 1080P LCD or Plasma, I'm leaning towards a plasma. So the set will be 46"-52" within that price range. I'm in a transition phase so I am unsure of what type of room the TV will be placed in, most likely a living room situation with windows.

Plasma sets are Samsung FP-Txx84 and Panasonic PZ700U/PZ750U. (can't afford Pioneer)

LCD sets are Sony KDL-xxBR4/5 and Samsung LN-Txx71F/81F.

Are there any models I'm missing that I should take a look at. What are the differences between the Panny 700U and 750U?

What should I look for when I compare these sets at the store, besides price?

Thanks
Old 11-27-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you plan on spending a lot of money for little benefit. Any chance you could guess how far from the wall your seating will be?

Stores are horrible places to compare TVs. It's really hard to get a good impression of anything, esp the big box stores.

If you end up under 50", there is really no point to the 1080 models unless it will also be a computer monitor. You could save a bundle on a 720 plasma, perhaps. Put the rest towards audio or HD discs.

Mostly the people here at DVDTalk tend to say Panny makes the best plasmas, even though Pioneer's might cost more. Here is some serious discussion about the Panny's: http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=843093 Sounds like the main difference is advanced controls on the 750 series.
Old 11-27-07, 02:52 PM

Well I'm really eyeing the 50" Panny, and my viewing distance will be about 7'.
Old 11-27-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With your budget, you might be able to get a 58" plasma (1080p). The 750 series has a better contrast ratio than the 700 series for the Panasonic plasmas.
Old 11-27-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're getting an LCD, I don't think you can go wrong with a 52XBR4. I love mine and it has a very high wife acceptance factor as well. The Samsung's are pretty good, but I'd stay away from the 81s. They apparently look great in the sweet spot but even 15 degrees off axis and the picture starts to dim. Plus you have to deal with the ultra-reflective screen.