Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Extended Service Plans good or bad?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-26-07, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm picking up a Samsung 40" 1080 P tonight from best buy. I'm excited about the jump to hd especially since i just picked up a ps3. My question is this: is it worth the extra $200 to get a esp? I believe it's 4 years. I've heard good things and bad things about the hdtv's. A few of my friends had theres break so it's up in the air.
Old 11-26-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure of your opinion on Consumer Reports, but:

A study by Consumer Reports found that LCD and plasma TVs require few repairs during the first three years of use and warned buyers they would be wasting their money this holiday season if they bought extended warranties for the devices.

The consumer review firm's Annual Product Reliability Survey found that the flat-panel sets overall had a 3 percent repair rate. Rear-projection TVs, on the other hand, were found to be much more repair-prone than its two rivals.

Panasonic's 50-inch TH-50PZ700U plasma model was named Consumer Reports' best flat-panel TV ever tested and the company's LCD and plasma sets had a 2-percent average repair rate.

Among LCDs, Dell, which recently stopped selling its own brand of TVs, and Hitachi were among the less reliable brands, as were Philips plasma TVs. Aside from Panasonic, other brands with low repair rates included Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and JVC in LCDs; and Pioneer and Samsung in plasmas.

Among the tiny percentage of sets with problems, most repairs were free, presumably because they were covered by the manufacturer's standard warranty. The few respondents to the survey who paid for repairs spent an average of $264 on LCD sets and $395 on plasmas. "This new reliability data reinforces Consumer Reports long-standing advice that consumers skip the extended warranty when buying a flat-panel TV," CR said in a statement.

Among rear-projection TV vendors, Toshiba and RCA had the most repair-prone sets that were based on digital light processing technology. Hitachi had the worst record for repairs on sets based on LCD technology.

The report also found about a quarter of the repairs involved replacing the bulb, with many failures occurring early in a set's life and covered by the standard warranty. Respondents who paid for repairs spent $300 on average. Rear-projection sets overall had an average 18 percent repair rate.

Skip the extended warranty
Despite the relatively high repair rate, Consumer Reports still advised consumers not to buy the often expensive extended warranty and service contracts. Nevertheless, consumers who insist on buying an extended warranty for a rear-projection set should consider one if they want to buy a repair-prone TV because of its low price.

In addition, an extended warranty might be considered if the person plans to use the TV for 5,000hrs within the time covered by an extended warranty and it covers bulb replacement. Many bulbs have a life expectancy of 5,000hrs.

Finally, the warranty should not cost more than the $200 to $300 it costs for a new bulb or 15 percent of the TV's price, whichever is less.

Meanwhile, the survey also found that prices for HDTVs are expected to drop about 30 percent on average this year than in the 2006 holiday shopping season. Plasma TV prices are expected to shrink the most, with 42-inch models falling below $1,000 by the end of the year, and some 50-inch models selling for less than $1,500.
Old 11-26-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did get a 4-year Mack warranty, but that was because it was basically 6% of the purchase price for the 50" plasma I bought in March/April. It was worth it for 4 years of peace of mind for me. YMMV.
Old 11-26-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I felt they were a waste of money since 95% of the payment is pure profit for the company. I will admit though that a friend of mine had a Toshiba CRT RPTV that was a lemon and although it took a while and many fights with the insurance company, after 4.5 years they refunded his entire $3000 purchase price.
Old 11-26-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
IMHO it is all about piece of mind. It is very likely you will never use it. However it doesn't make you feel any better if 99% of time there are no problems if you are in the 1% that there is a problem.

From in insurance standpoint, they are overpriced. But then there really is no competition. Did you pay by CC? Maybe your CC offers an extended warranty.

I rarely buy them, but my wife really wanted one on the new car we bought, so fine (by the way your talking $200 for a HDTV for four years, the extended warranty on my wifes new car was like $450 for four years). Haven't used it and doubt I ever will.

We also keep renewing the home warranty on the house that we got a year of for free when we bought. We have used it a couple of times.

And finally we got a great deal on a refrigerator. The deal was "so good" he would only let me do it, if I bought the warranty which was like $75. Since I save right at a grand on the frige, I did it. And believe it or not, it paid off. We were having a little trouble with the ice maker. I think it just needed adjustment as it didn't seem to make a lot of ice. But once the guy say we had an extended warranty, he replaced everything, the motor, the computer board, the sensor, everything. He said it was easier to do that, then fix one thing and then come back in 2-3 days to see if it fixed it.

But again...I think it is a piece of mind issue.
Old 11-26-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I use Squaretrade exclusively. ~10% of purchase price for 3 years. Have the Wii, XBOX 360, PS3, XBOX HD-DVD Add-on, phone, digital camera, portable DVD player, desktop, laptop, DVD recorder, and of course the 46" Sharp through them. For most of them I've gotten 30-35% the 10%.

As an example, 3 years for the 46" Sharp HDTV was $84.49, 3 years of the $400 Toshiba laptop was $64.99 (with drop protection - I drop it, I pay $50, I get the laptop replaced/repaired... unlimited times, $50 per drop... if it breaks on its own it's a free repair/replace), $18.19 for 3 years for the dekstop, $31.19 for 3 years of the PS3, $15.59 for 3 years of the $200 Best Buy HD-DVD player.

BTW Mack warranties have bad reviews... Squaretrade seems to stand better behind their warranties.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-26-07 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread is probably more representative of how TVs are handled by Mack Warranties. Some of the camera-related gripes are more due to gray goods, or user-inflicted damaged that was submitted for warranty coverage and then denied coverage.

A comprehensive review of what Mack Warranties cover and don't cover.

Every provider of warranty coverage will have good and bad experiences/reviews, just hope it's more good than bad. And, as always, read what exactly is covered by a warranty, so you won't get surprised in the future when you try to claim coverage for situations that don't warrant coverage by the warranty.

Last edited by Patman; 11-26-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And my $280 phone just died... glad I paid $28. So, extended plans, good
Old 11-26-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I paid for more $28 for my last phone set. Then again, I'm still also using the answering machine I got in the early 1990s.
Old 11-26-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't think I paid for more $28 for my last phone set. Then again, I'm still also using the answering machine I got in the early 1990s.
That was my first and only Smartphone. Paid that much because I didn't want to renew my contract with the cell phone company. Now I'm on a month-to-month basis.
Old 11-27-07, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i decided to go with the 4 year esp. Anything goes wrong geek squad comes down and fixes it so i'm gtg!
Old 11-27-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a Samsung Portable DVD Player for as a gift from my Grandma (great ole' lady) and she bought the 4- year ESP from Future Shop. I thought it was a good idea.

It really is the "Peace of Mind" factor, which is why I'd buy an ESP.