Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with BR players!!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-25-07, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! First of all, let me just say that I only have a 720p Panny 42" plasma, and a non-HDMI switching receiver. I have an HD-A2 which I flipping love, and a month or two ago I purchased a 60gb PS3 to go purple.

It's been kinda glitchy recently and since I have a PRP with Best Buy, I can exchange it for something. Here is the question.

I do not and will never play video games. I also do not like having a game console in my system. It is sort of loud and gets really hot in the space. I also wish for a tray instead of that automatic crap with the PS3. Should I exchange for another PS3? I know the 60gb are extinct but our store still has one, so I COULD get one. Or should I get the Sony BDP-S300. I like the whole $350 deal with 10 free blu-rays. This means I could even exchange for another 60 gig, or get $150 back and 10 Blu-Rays if I get the S300.

I like the look of the standalone, and I like the fact of having an IR remote, and a tray (haha... even if it is slow, I don't mind,) but I was reading some negatives about it.

Is it really not capable of using the new BR features? Is it something that firmware updates can fix or will it be extinct soon? Also, I read that it doesn't do the new audio tracks. I don't have HDMI capability on my receiver, in fact, I don't even know if it can do the whole TRUEHD or whatever. Here is the specs: http://yamaha.com/yec/products/produ...l?CNTID=200504

With that receiver can I even take advantage of the tracks I would be "missing out on?"

Lastly... picture quality. Is the S300 just as good as the PS3? Better? Worse? I really can not decide what to do here and I was thinking about switching it soon.

Please give me some opinions soon! I appreciate it!!!

Thanks
Shane
Old 11-25-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The PQ will be the same. 1080p. Can't beat it.

Let future tricks be in the future. If you switch to the S300, you'll have $150 saved for the next gen if it really becomes an issue. Frankly, these new features aren't all that great.

The audio will be the same as the PS3 with that receiver. Use the digital output to the receiver. Another player with better decoders might be better (Denon or Panny, etc), but you are comparing to the PS3, it essentially has the same faults as the S300.

The 60GB is important to gamers with older Sony games. Apparently this is not you.

Switch to the standalone model is my opinion.
Old 11-25-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
As a PS3 owner, if you are NOT a gamer and have no desire to be and would not use the other media features of the PS3, you should get a stand along player. No doubt.

I hate that I cannot use my Harmony 880 with the PS3. Yea, I have the PS3 DVD remote, but I centered everything around my Harmony. Also, the PS3 is not exactly "non-glitchy". When I first got it, it was the suck. The first firmware upgrade helped a lot. Then there were one or two FW upgrades that I couldn't really tell anything. Then one or two that did. Then the last major one made it so it would upconvert regular SD DVD's.

Also, I agree with you. The case design does not lend itself to matching the rest of your components and obviously you cannot stack things on it. And if you stack it on something else, you have the heat issue.
Old 11-26-07, 10:08 AM

Okay, I guess I have decided that I want to rid of the PS3.

Now I can not decide which stand-alone to get.

A) Sony BDP-S300 for $350 with 5 free instantly.
B) Samsung BD-P1400 for $300
C) Panny BD30 for $400

Lastly, is the Sharp BD-HP20U any good?

Anyways... like I said previously. I only have a 720P Panasonic TH42PX60U and a Yamaha 5240 receiver (Meaning no HDMI... I use optical)

I am sort of lost with the audio stuff. Can someone just try and explain what my receiver CAN do and with what hookup. And could you tell me which player would give me best audio tracks? I think that with my receiver they will all be the same, but I can't be positive.

And.. anybody have experience with any of the above three options. I like the price of the Sony of Samsung, but I definitely do not want any playback issues new releases.

Lastly, are the startup and disc loading speeds any different between the three?

THANKS!
Shane
Old 11-26-07, 10:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I hate that I cannot use my Harmony 880 with the PS3. Yea, I have the PS3 DVD remote, but I centered everything around my Harmony. Also, the PS3 is not exactly "non-glitchy". When I first got it, it was the suck. The first firmware upgrade helped a lot. Then there were one or two FW upgrades that I couldn't really tell anything. Then one or two that did. Then the last major one made it so it would upconvert regular SD DVD's.
This is the reply I got to a question regarding this issue on another forum...

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
So, are you stuck having to buy, and use that bluray remote, or can something like the harmony remote be programmed to control the PS3's bluray functionality instead?

A few companies like Nyko for example, sell little IR remotes instead of the blue tooth one from sony. it gives you a little usb IR receiver dongle you plug into the front of your ps3 and the remote sends commands to that. You can clone that little remote to work with your Harmony (this is what I do). It costs about 15 bucks to get the IR remote. (or less)

You dont have power on/off via the remote when you go this route though. Being that you need to get up to change discs its not a big deal to turn off the ps3 by hand or use the controller.

I own the bluetooth remote too.. just because I like how quick and responsive it is (plus that on off feature). I bought the ps3 bluetooth remote before I got my harmony 880, I wouldn't have bothered if I got my harmony 1st.
Old 11-26-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does your current receiver have a 5.1 analog audio input section? If so, and if you care for lossless audio, then you should pick the BD player that offers 5.1 (or 7.1) analog audio output so you could connect it to the receiver's 5.1 analog audio input section.

If you don't have have the 5.1 analog audio input section, then you'll be stuck with optical, and will have to rely on getting a downmix of the audio track from the BD player sent through its optical output to your receiver's optical input, or selecting the DD 5.1 audio track that should be on most BDs (and the BD player should be set to output the audio bitstream for DD 5.1).
Old 11-26-07, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Does your current receiver have a 5.1 analog audio input section? If so, and if you care for lossless audio, then you should pick the BD player that offers 5.1 (or 7.1) analog audio output so you could connect it to the receiver's 5.1 analog audio input section.

If you don't have have the 5.1 analog audio input section, then you'll be stuck with optical, and will have to rely on getting a downmix of the audio track from the BD player sent through its optical output to your receiver's optical input, or selecting the DD 5.1 audio track that should be on most BDs (and the BD player should be set to output the audio bitstream for DD 5.1).
Like I said, I am lost.... Could anybody check the specs of my receiver (Yamaha 5940... link above,) and let me know if it has "analog audio inputs?"

Also, I have been doing some research on the Sharp player and it looks like a winner. Also has 5 free instant at BBuy. Any opinions on it?!

Thanks again guys,
Shane
Old 11-26-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're in luck, your receiver does have the multi-channel 5.1 input section.

I'm pretty sure the Panasonic BD30A has the analog audio output for lossless audio, not sure about the other models.
Old 11-26-07, 11:21 AM

Okay Patman... what exactly does Analog Audio look like? And what cables hook it up?

Lastly... here is the player I am now leaning towards... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188561244565

Outputs says:
Outputs: HDMI, S-video, component video, video, analog audio, 5.1-channel, digital optical, digital coaxial.

Does this player have it?

Thanks
Shane
Old 11-26-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but it is my understanding that it still will not power your PS3 on and off. That using this "work around" only give you thinks for FF, RR, Chapter selection, but not power on or off.

This is the reply I got to a question regarding this issue on another forum...

So, are you stuck having to buy, and use that bluray remote, or can something like the harmony remote be programmed to control the PS3's bluray functionality instead?

A few companies like Nyko for example, sell little IR remotes instead of the blue tooth one from sony. it gives you a little usb IR receiver dongle you plug into the front of your ps3 and the remote sends commands to that. You can clone that little remote to work with your Harmony (this is what I do). It costs about 15 bucks to get the IR remote. (or less)

You dont have power on/off via the remote when you go this route though. Being that you need to get up to change discs its not a big deal to turn off the ps3 by hand or use the controller.

I own the bluetooth remote too.. just because I like how quick and responsive it is (plus that on off feature). I bought the ps3 bluetooth remote before I got my harmony 880, I wouldn't have bothered if I got my harmony 1st.
Old 11-26-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
Okay Patman... what exactly does Analog Audio look like? And what cables hook it up?
From the Product View link to the receiver, click on the Rear Panel link on that page.

You'll get a picture of the backside of the receiver, then look for the "Multi-CH Input" section along the top set of audio connections. You have 6 RCA-type connections (you can use simple audio cables, just get 3 pairs of 2-channel audio cable, don't need to spend a ton of money for them, $3-$5 for each cable or less), and you have to pair up the connections from the BD player's analog audio output:

Blu-ray player => Yamaha receiver Multi-Ch Input
front right channel output => front right channel input
front left channel output => front left channel input
front center channel output => front center channel input
surround right channel output => surround right channel input
surround left channel output => surround left channel input
subwoofer channel output => subwoofer channel input
Old 11-27-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sony will only decode DD+ and the basic DTS stuff for analog output. It will not decode high-rez audio for analog output.

I'm not sure about the others. About the only way to figure it out is user reports.
Old 11-27-07, 11:06 AM

I am in the exact same boat as DAVETHOMASOWNS and am looking for a blu-ray player other than the PS3.

How do the Panasonic Blu-Ray players compare? I have yet to see their name in this discussion.
Old 11-27-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually they were mentioned above as the only possibility for playing high-rez audio via analog outputs, for those without an HDMI receiver. They have the best player at this time, and it has been the best since it came out. Some players have been announced that should be superior, but announcements are only useful when you run out of toilet paper.
Old 11-27-07, 02:38 PM

Okay I just bought the Sharp. Load times weren't too bad... I could deal with them. And the PQ is awesome. BUT... I am still lost with the audio.

Just being in a hurry I hooked it back up through the Optical. The sound was very underwhelming on Spiderman 3. I checked and it was on TrueHD I think. I switched to 5.1 Uncompressed and it sounded a little better. Is that what it is supposed to sound like? I don't even know what Uncompressed and blah blah means. I have the analog cables. Should I hook those up? And if I do, what audio track should I always select?

Lastly... The menu for Spidey 3 was very laggy and glitchy. Is this the player? I never watched the movie on the PS3, but it lags greatly on this Sharp.

I am now even more confused.

Thanks for the help
Shane
Old 11-27-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hook up the 6-channels from the BD player to the receiver (described in post #11). Then, on the BD audio menu, pick 5.1 PCM when possible (or TrueHD), and on the receiver, select the Multi-Channel Input. That's about it. Play the BD, and the audio coming through should sound better than what's being sent through the optical connection.
Old 11-28-07, 01:59 PM

I brought the Spiderman 3 disc into Best Buy today to try on their Sharp. It did the same thing. I was told that it doesn't load the Java menus well. Okay... I couldn't live with myself if I paid $400 for a player that won't even load a menu. So for kicks I try the same disc in the Samsung...1400. The menu loaded fine this time but then I hit eject. The entire player freezes. I unplug and plug back in. The player once again freezes during the Spiderman symbol this time. That was enough of that playe so I move on to the Sony BDPS300. There was some sort of lock to prevent the tray being open, but either way I had read enough to not be interested in this one.

Lastly I lok at the Panasonic. I hit eject, put the disc in, and I was completely surprised by how quick it was. I can assure that the load times were considerably faster than the others. Then the menu played perfectly! I sort of like the simplicity of the look and it would go well with my Panny plasma.

So now I am stuck deciding between waiting for an upgrade to fix the Sharp, or forking out another $100 for the Panny!

Thanks
Shane
Old 11-28-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't new tech fun?
Old 12-01-07, 03:57 PM

I have the H/K AVR 247 and I love it. I want to get a Panasonic PAN DMPBD30K Blu-Ray and i am going to use Monster HDMI to connect it to my reciever. Do I need the reciever to be DTS-HD and DD-HD as well since the player has built in decoders? If so then I am going to buy an Onkyo reciever with the decoders though this is not my first choice. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-01-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know all the details of the new audio...but if you haven't bought the Monster HDMI cable yet, DON'T....

Go to Monoprice.com for all your cable needs. You are literally throwing your money away on the Monster. And even if you have the money to throw away, throw it at more DVD, not Monster.
Old 12-02-07, 09:56 PM

Are all HDMI cables the same? I have spent over $150 on monster cables in a month. If they are all the same then I feel like a jack ass.
Old 12-03-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, Monster's are the lowest quality I've seen that weren't free. You should stay away from Monster. Really. For all sorts of cables.
Old 12-08-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by davethomasowns
Now I can not decide which stand-alone to get.

A) Sony BDP-S300 for $350 with 5 free instantly.
B) Samsung BD-P1400 for $300
C) Panny BD30 for $400
Where can you get the Panasonic for $400?
Old 12-08-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott182
Where can you get the Panasonic for $400?
I see the BDP-BD30K for 430 free shipping from ValueElectronics via a special Avsforum web page
Old 12-09-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it me or what. But it seems the Ps3 is really the best Blu Ray player on the market. There are updates all the time and very few if any movie play back issues. Sony always updates the firmware and this is why there are so little issues when it comes to movie play back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.