Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Mounting 50" plasma on apartment wall... easiest way?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Im buying a 50" Panny when the price comes down again and I was wondering the easiest way to mount it to a wall since im in an apartment. I guess it wouldn't matter..but can I even do it? How would I cover the hole(s) once I move? and what is the easiest way to get the cables through?

I was thinking of a tilting wall mount...as opposed to a straight on wall mount.. ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-24-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, that's pretty much it. You get a mount and put it up. Make sure the weight rating matches your TV, a 50" plasma is not all that light. Tilt is more expensive and just plain personal taste. They are more for people who mount them too high, which is a large percentage. You could also get a table mount if you don't want to fight with the holes and everything.

If you want to completely hide cables you are looking at more holes, and bigger. And it really depends on your layout for just what you need to do. If there's a cabinet below the TV, you could put a larger hole behind the TV and another near the floor and just run cables through. Or, you could just let the cables show, maybe wrap them in wire loom to hide them a bit.

To fix little holes from attaching a mount, use joint compound or just let your security deposit cover it. If you make bigger holes for the wires, there are little kits to patch those and instructions all over the place. Ex: http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/Hole.htm
I would probably not let a larger hole go through to the security deposit, they'll likely gouge you on a real repair. You could try just covering them with some sort of outlet cover, too. But that may not fly.
Old 11-24-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Good tips.
Old 12-07-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok guys...well, now that I have my plasma.. and its been sitting on the cabinet for a week, im beginning to wonder if I should still mount it. Take a look at thsi pic and tell me what you think. I think mounting it would be cool. However, sinec it's in an apartment, is there anything "construction wise" that I have to look out for? Does the mount have to be mounted to the studs? In which case what if mine arent close/far enough apart? Just wondering... Thanks!

Panny 50"
Old 12-07-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of wall mounting, because people almost always put the TV too high on the wall. But yeah, you definitely want to make sure you're anchored into wall studs for something that heavy.
Old 12-08-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a larger pic of my tv showing more wall. I think with that much above me it would be nice to have it mounted...

Panny 50
Old 12-08-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't let holes stop you from mounting. In addition to the excellent advise by Spiky, you can go to home depot/Lowes or any hardware store and get drywall "patch" kits. These are mainly for fixing holes from door knobs, but will work regardless of what caused the hole. Any they literally take minutes to fix.

If your walls are off white, you might not even need to paint. Most compounds dry an off white, and if you "flair" our the compound it is possible no one would even notice.
Old 12-08-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taking a look at my wall it looks like the studs are spaced every 1'4" apart (16") sound about right? For a mount I mean..
Old 12-08-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd say your plasma's top edge should be the same height as your thermostat's top edge:

Looks like maybe 6" higher than what it currently is.
Old 12-08-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dvd Polizei... nice drawing, thanks! Yeah that looks like a great height..after mounting it Id like to either get rid of the cabinet for something else and put a plant there or something since ill have extra room or I don't know..
Old 12-08-07, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalDuck
Taking a look at my wall it looks like the studs are spaced every 1'4" apart (16") sound about right? For a mount I mean..
Yeah the 16" spacing between studs is standard spacing. And I'm pretty sure the mount will be designed in consideration of 16" standard stud spacings. But I would invest in a studfinder (~$20) to help find the centers of the studs, as some slight variation from the 16" is possible. Or use a tiny nail or icepick as a test probe to feel out the studs before doing any drilling of larger holes. As has been said before, fixing holes is easy using spackling compound and a putty knife. Lastly (or firstly), think it through before getting constructive. Consider final placements of your cabinet, other components, cabling, cords, etc.
Old 12-08-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonny...yup, used a studfinder to determine the 16"
Old 12-09-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I have a question about this wall mount.. this seems to be the one that most people are ordering..

Monoprice mount

Question about it..are the two larger holes intended for cables? or is it just the design.. you would think you would only want to use one hole unless they provide two for location of the cables.

Anyway, this one looks like the one so I can tilt it..
Old 12-09-07, 01:21 PM

I agree about the big holes intended for cable routing. The reason for 2 instead of 1 is for the installer to have flexibility/options. I can imagine someone might be hesitant about routing signal cable and power cord through the same hole, for example. Or if one hole happens to be blocked by a stud or something inside the wall, the other hole will have access.
Old 12-09-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a good price for a wall mount. Yah got me interested in one.
Old 12-09-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha...just doing my part! Went and checked out a dry wall kit at Lowe's it was dirt cheap and looks like it will work.. just have to make sure the next people that live here dont try and hang something right there and poke a hole through the metal mesh..haha
Old 12-09-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, you really want the TV at the height of your eyes. Perfect would be eyes about 1/3 up the screen. But generally somewhere in the screen area. If it is too high, you'll be looking up, not great for the neck.
Old 12-09-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, so using Poliezei's guide as a good height, (which it is) im wondering what to do about the cabinet..I mean sure, i coudl leave it there...but id like to get rid of it.. also, looking at where it would be..its such a small distance from the tv to the bottom of the floor.. would it be worth it to run the cables? Dont get me wrong, I think its a good idea, but its only like 3 ft or something.....seems like a lot of work..
Old 12-09-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Take the time and run the wires. Yes, it likely will be a lot of work. But you only have to do it once. And running the wires in the wall will make the difference between and slick, professional looking set up and well NOT professional looking.

The cabinet is a tough call. If you got rid of it, where would you put the components? Do you have a closet or something near buy that you could put them in???
Old 12-09-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good idea, but no...at least not close enough to make it worth it..longer cables, range of remote etc... good idea though. Maybe a smaller one? I dont know..but yeah, running the cables would probably be best...once I get the mount Ill have to ask about the best way to go about that..I have a few ideas of mine, but im sure there is a default method.
Old 12-10-07, 12:52 PM

I say make an assessment of the final system layout regarding placement of plasma, cabinet, components, everything. If apartment-related issues prevent you from achieving a professional looking (NO visible cables) result, then aim at minimizing the amount of wall-altering you do and do some tricks to hide or camouflage or neaten up the visible cables. If it is possible to do a professional result, and you have the nerve/skills, and you're prepared to repair any alterations when it's time to move out, and you're comfortable with having a permanent layout, then go for it.