DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

IKEA's 'Billy' Bookcases

Old 11-16-07, 10:52 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
IKEA's 'Billy' Bookcases

i was wondering if anyone here uses ikea's billy bookcases for dvd storage and if so just how many dvd's can you fit in one of the units. pictures would be appreciated. my collection is reaching 950+ and it's time for me to upgrade my current shelving units. the billy series seems like the most logical choice since it's fairly easy to add on to and is very customizable. the unit i'm specifically interested in is this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/83688210

if anyone owns one (or more) of these and would be willing to answer a couple questions, please reply.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 12:43 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,170
I think you'd be wasting a lot of space with the Billy shelves. They work great for hard cover books, but there is a lot of space between shelves for DVDs/CDs/Paperbacks. They sell extra shelves but for some stupid reason they are glass. It's pretty annoying because they don't match perfectly and you can't put anything heavy on them (no books!) because they bend.
Mordred is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 12:45 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,160
It may not be in this part, but all the answers you are looking for are here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=498811
Superman07 is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 01:10 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
I use the Billy bookcases and I'm very happy with how they've worked out. I have one tall unit on each side of my TV. Here's a picture of my current setup, if you want to get an idea how they might look:
FinkPish is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 02:32 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Originally Posted by Mordred
I think you'd be wasting a lot of space with the Billy shelves. They work great for hard cover books, but there is a lot of space between shelves for DVDs/CDs/Paperbacks. They sell extra shelves but for some stupid reason they are glass. It's pretty annoying because they don't match perfectly and you can't put anything heavy on them (no books!) because they bend.
actually they sell extra shelves in all the colors that they offer.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 02:33 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I use the Billy bookcases and I'm very happy with how they've worked out. I have one tall unit on each side of my TV. Here's a picture of my current setup, if you want to get an idea how they might look:

if you had an extra shelf you could fit more dvds in there? also how many dvds can you fit on a shelf?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 11-16-07 at 02:42 PM.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 02:59 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
if you had an extra shelf you could fit more dvds in there? also how many dvds can you fit on a shelf?
Yeah, you could possibly add extra shelves. The middle shelf is locked in place so you can't adjust that one, but the others have a lot of flexibility. Each shelf holds around 50 single DVDs.

Here I took a close up of the shelves where you can see the different holes:
FinkPish is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 03:04 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yeah, you could possibly add extra shelves. The middle shelf is locked in place so you can't adjust that one, but the others have a lot of flexibility. Each shelf holds around 50 single DVDs.

Here I took a close up of the shelves where you can see the different holes:

thanks for the pics man. so do you think it'd be possible to tighten up the shelves and add another one even with the one middle shelf being locked?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 11-16-07 at 03:08 PM.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 03:09 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
thanks for the pics man. so do you think it'd be possible to tighten up the shelves and add another one even with the one middle shelf being locked?
Yeah, it looks like you could, though you would have a big gap between the middle shelf and the one above it. It's hard to tell, though, without actually doing it.
FinkPish is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 04:58 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,170
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
actually they sell extra shelves in all the colors that they offer.
If you can show me where I'd be a happy man.

Edit: ...for the 31" wide shelves. They sell wooden shelves for the 14" wide book cases, but we don't have those.

Last edited by Mordred; 11-16-07 at 05:02 PM.
Mordred is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 07:55 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 826
They do sell both the wood shelves and glass shelves - at least they did a couple years ago. I happened to buy glass shelves and replaced the wood shelves entirely (with the exception of the middle one, which is not adjustable). I think it gives a much more sleek and classy look.

I just counted 50 DVDs across x 8 shelves = 400 DVDs per shelving unit.

I have one for DVDs and one for CDs. I can get two additional shelves in the CD unit.

Here's my shelf setup:



Originally Posted by Mordred
If you can show me where I'd be a happy man.
In my closet - but I'm not taking you in there to show you anything.
shelland is offline  
Old 11-16-07, 08:04 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
RockyMtnBri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,169
I actually have six of them in my media room, along with some Benno towers. I have glass shelves on four of them, giving me 8 shelves per case. I bought the Bennos because they have a smaller footprint, work great to store my Blu-Ray/HD DVD/PS3/PSP media.
RockyMtnBri is offline  
Old 11-17-07, 09:44 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
I actually have six of them in my media room, along with some Benno towers. I have glass shelves on four of them, giving me 8 shelves per case. I bought the Bennos because they have a smaller footprint, work great to store my Blu-Ray/HD DVD/PS3/PSP media.
do the benno's shelves line up with the billy shelves?
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 11-17-07, 10:17 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
RockyMtnBri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 2,169
They can. If you use the little joining clips they give you, you can align the front of them. One of the configurations I've seen is where two Bennos are between two Billys.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69831458

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 11-17-07 at 10:21 AM.
RockyMtnBri is offline  
Old 11-18-07, 12:06 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,674
i'm also using Billys ford dvds and hd-dvds. And another for books. They work really good for both things.
Raul3 is offline  
Old 11-18-07, 12:30 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,407
So, for you guys who own these, what is the quality of this particle board material compared to something I'd buy in any store. Thinking of picking up a Billy this weekend at a local IKEA.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 11-18-07, 12:53 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,687
A lot of it is like a particle board material, but much stronger. We've been using various Ikea shelving for probably 9-10 years now, and we've never had a problem. My advice is take your time with the assembly and make all your connections and joints secure. That seems to help with the structural integrity.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 11-18-07, 06:05 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,407
Thanks for the info.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 12:28 PM
  #19  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
I am using 2 Docent bookshelves from IKEA. They are discontinued. I wish I could find a couple others.

The docent probably holds 350 each. It is double wide, not really great for DVDs. I use one side for my electronics, and the other for movies.
gimmepilotwings is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 12:58 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,790
Ikea had a really cool shelf a few years ago that just happened to match the existing furniture I have. It was like Billy, but shallower, and it had glass doors for the shelving. It looked really sharp. But by my calculations it only held about 80 DVDs (it was tall and skinny) and it was very expensive: $70-$100 if I remember. I was not about to buy a half dozen of them, as cool as they were.
The Bus is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 12:58 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,674
I've had my Billys for more than 2 years. I moved from an apartment to a house in that period. Also, we just had an earthquake a few weeks ago (5.7), I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and they were able to handle everything.
Raul3 is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 02:38 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 223
I'm thinking of getting one of these tomorrow, but I have one question does ikea still sell shelves for the 30" width ones? because on their site they only have the smaller ones.
liquidevil is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 02:45 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by liquidevil
I'm thinking of getting one of these tomorrow, but I have one question does ikea still sell shelves for the 30" width ones? because on their site they only have the smaller ones.
Yea, they do. I just bought a 30" wide one this weekend - one of the shorter ones though, not the taller ones - and I picked up some extra shelves for it. I'm actually using it for a shelving unit for my PJ and my other home theater components, etc., and it works so much better than the old little printer cart from Target that I was using.
bensashi is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 02:47 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,170
Originally Posted by bensashi
Yea, they do. I just bought a 30" wide one this weekend - one of the shorter ones though, not the taller ones - and I picked up some extra shelves for it. I'm actually using it for a shelving unit for my PJ and my other home theater components, etc., and it works so much better than the old little printer cart from Target that I was using.
Glass shelves or wood?
Mordred is offline  
Old 11-19-07, 04:03 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Mordred
Glass shelves or wood?
Wood - I imagine they'd have the glass ones as well though.
bensashi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.