DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

IKEA's 'Billy' Bookcases

Old 11-16-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IKEA's 'Billy' Bookcases

i was wondering if anyone here uses ikea's billy bookcases for dvd storage and if so just how many dvd's can you fit in one of the units. pictures would be appreciated. my collection is reaching 950+ and it's time for me to upgrade my current shelving units. the billy series seems like the most logical choice since it's fairly easy to add on to and is very customizable. the unit i'm specifically interested in is this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/83688210

if anyone owns one (or more) of these and would be willing to answer a couple questions, please reply.
Old 11-16-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you'd be wasting a lot of space with the Billy shelves. They work great for hard cover books, but there is a lot of space between shelves for DVDs/CDs/Paperbacks. They sell extra shelves but for some stupid reason they are glass. It's pretty annoying because they don't match perfectly and you can't put anything heavy on them (no books!) because they bend.
Old 11-16-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may not be in this part, but all the answers you are looking for are here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=498811
Old 11-16-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use the Billy bookcases and I'm very happy with how they've worked out. I have one tall unit on each side of my TV. Here's a picture of my current setup, if you want to get an idea how they might look:
Old 11-16-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
I think you'd be wasting a lot of space with the Billy shelves. They work great for hard cover books, but there is a lot of space between shelves for DVDs/CDs/Paperbacks. They sell extra shelves but for some stupid reason they are glass. It's pretty annoying because they don't match perfectly and you can't put anything heavy on them (no books!) because they bend.
actually they sell extra shelves in all the colors that they offer.
Old 11-16-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I use the Billy bookcases and I'm very happy with how they've worked out. I have one tall unit on each side of my TV. Here's a picture of my current setup, if you want to get an idea how they might look:

if you had an extra shelf you could fit more dvds in there? also how many dvds can you fit on a shelf?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 11-16-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
if you had an extra shelf you could fit more dvds in there? also how many dvds can you fit on a shelf?
Yeah, you could possibly add extra shelves. The middle shelf is locked in place so you can't adjust that one, but the others have a lot of flexibility. Each shelf holds around 50 single DVDs.

Here I took a close up of the shelves where you can see the different holes:
Old 11-16-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yeah, you could possibly add extra shelves. The middle shelf is locked in place so you can't adjust that one, but the others have a lot of flexibility. Each shelf holds around 50 single DVDs.

Here I took a close up of the shelves where you can see the different holes:

thanks for the pics man. so do you think it'd be possible to tighten up the shelves and add another one even with the one middle shelf being locked?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 11-16-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the pics man. so do you think it'd be possible to tighten up the shelves and add another one even with the one middle shelf being locked?
Yeah, it looks like you could, though you would have a big gap between the middle shelf and the one above it. It's hard to tell, though, without actually doing it.
Old 11-16-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

actually they sell extra shelves in all the colors that they offer.
If you can show me where I'd be a happy man.

Edit: ...for the 31" wide shelves. They sell wooden shelves for the 14" wide book cases, but we don't have those.

Last edited by Mordred; 11-16-07 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 07:55 PM

They do sell both the wood shelves and glass shelves - at least they did a couple years ago. I happened to buy glass shelves and replaced the wood shelves entirely (with the exception of the middle one, which is not adjustable). I think it gives a much more sleek and classy look.

I just counted 50 DVDs across x 8 shelves = 400 DVDs per shelving unit.

I have one for DVDs and one for CDs. I can get two additional shelves in the CD unit.

Here's my shelf setup:

If you can show me where I'd be a happy man.
In my closet - but I'm not taking you in there to show you anything.
Old 11-16-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually have six of them in my media room, along with some Benno towers. I have glass shelves on four of them, giving me 8 shelves per case. I bought the Bennos because they have a smaller footprint, work great to store my Blu-Ray/HD DVD/PS3/PSP media.
Old 11-17-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
I actually have six of them in my media room, along with some Benno towers. I have glass shelves on four of them, giving me 8 shelves per case. I bought the Bennos because they have a smaller footprint, work great to store my Blu-Ray/HD DVD/PS3/PSP media.
do the benno's shelves line up with the billy shelves?
Old 11-17-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They can. If you use the little joining clips they give you, you can align the front of them. One of the configurations I've seen is where two Bennos are between two Billys.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69831458

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 11-17-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm also using Billys ford dvds and hd-dvds. And another for books. They work really good for both things.
Old 11-18-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, for you guys who own these, what is the quality of this particle board material compared to something I'd buy in any store. Thinking of picking up a Billy this weekend at a local IKEA.
Old 11-18-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of it is like a particle board material, but much stronger. We've been using various Ikea shelving for probably 9-10 years now, and we've never had a problem. My advice is take your time with the assembly and make all your connections and joints secure. That seems to help with the structural integrity.
Old 11-18-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-07, 12:28 PM
Suspended

I am using 2 Docent bookshelves from IKEA. They are discontinued. I wish I could find a couple others.

The docent probably holds 350 each. It is double wide, not really great for DVDs. I use one side for my electronics, and the other for movies.
Old 11-19-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ikea had a really cool shelf a few years ago that just happened to match the existing furniture I have. It was like Billy, but shallower, and it had glass doors for the shelving. It looked really sharp. But by my calculations it only held about 80 DVDs (it was tall and skinny) and it was very expensive: $70-$100 if I remember. I was not about to buy a half dozen of them, as cool as they were.
Old 11-19-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had my Billys for more than 2 years. I moved from an apartment to a house in that period. Also, we just had an earthquake a few weeks ago (5.7), I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and they were able to handle everything.
Old 11-19-07, 02:38 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of these tomorrow, but I have one question does ikea still sell shelves for the 30" width ones? because on their site they only have the smaller ones.
Old 11-19-07, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by liquidevil
I'm thinking of getting one of these tomorrow, but I have one question does ikea still sell shelves for the 30" width ones? because on their site they only have the smaller ones.
Yea, they do. I just bought a 30" wide one this weekend - one of the shorter ones though, not the taller ones - and I picked up some extra shelves for it. I'm actually using it for a shelving unit for my PJ and my other home theater components, etc., and it works so much better than the old little printer cart from Target that I was using.
Old 11-19-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bensashi
Yea, they do. I just bought a 30" wide one this weekend - one of the shorter ones though, not the taller ones - and I picked up some extra shelves for it. I'm actually using it for a shelving unit for my PJ and my other home theater components, etc., and it works so much better than the old little printer cart from Target that I was using.
Glass shelves or wood?
Old 11-19-07, 04:03 PM

Glass shelves or wood?
Wood - I imagine they'd have the glass ones as well though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.