Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Noob question about tv to dvd player setups.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-16-07, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in upgrading my el cheap-o dvd player. My question is I have a 32" LCD tv that has the hdmi input. I've read around, but I'm a little confused. A guy I used to work with said component hook ups were the best, but now I'm understanding hdmi is one up? is it just a one cable connection for both audio and video?
Old 09-16-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDMI is the best, but you have a 32" screen and you're watching standard def by the sounds of it. Component will be fine for you, especially with a 'cheap-o' DVD player.
Old 09-16-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you get an upconverting player it will probably not upconvert through component because of copy protection. In that case you would need a player with an HDMI connection (which does also carry audio).
Old 09-19-07, 06:19 PM

Fyi

Sorry Mr Salty, but that is incorrect.

Copyright protection has nothing to do with "Will it Pass" or won't it. A DVD with Macrovision encoding will pass through composite, component, HDMI as long as it is not routed through a recording device such as a VCR,DVR first.

It will still upconvert to 1080!

Last edited by trubiet; 09-19-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He wasn't talking about macrovision, he was talking about upconversion in the player. Only a couple players ever made will do upconversion and send the signal via component. This is because the studios don't want a high quality analog signal sent out. Which really makes no sense, but it is the facts.

In the scenario you mention, you would be using upconversion in the TV, which is certainly a possibility.
Old 09-20-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trubiet
Sorry Mr Salty, but that is incorrect.
Sorry trubiet, but I am correct, for the very reason the very wise Spiky has mentioned. Macrovision is not the only type of copy protection used by DVDs, and it's not what I'm talking about here.
Old 09-20-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you are just using your TV to listen to the audio from your DVD player, then HDMI is going to be the best option. But if you have a surround system with a receiver that doesn't have HDMI, you can still use HDMI to your TV for the video and then send optical or SPDIF to your receiver for the audio. This is the way I have my system setup now, and it works great. I have the Oppo 981 and the upconverted picture looks fantastic.
Old 09-20-07, 08:20 AM

I wasn't trying to "piss on you wheaties" there Salty.

What you posted was not in direct correlation to what you meant. So since you were talking about a different scenario.

I was trying to simplify things for the person that clearly said he was new/noob to all of this.

In that case, we are both correct!

My old (1 year) setup contained a 52 inch Tosh DLP with a Samsung HD-850. It did upconvert to 1080i through Component with anything and every DVD I own. Now I have gone PS3 Via HDMI to 1080P. I just didn't want the noob to take your reply the way that I read it.

Last edited by trubiet; 09-20-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trubiet
What you posted was not in direct correlation to what you meant.
Yes, it was. The OP wants to upgrade his DVD player to one that will make good use of his HDTV and is curious about component cables vs. HDMI. What I wrote is exactly correct: HDMI is the preferred connection because content protection generally prevents an upconverted image from being passed via component.

Perhaps to that I should add this piece of advice to the OP: Look for an upconverting player, which will "upconvert" the image from 480 lines of resolution to 720 or 1080 lines, whichever is best for your LCD TV (most likely 720p in your case). If you buy an upconverting player, it will have an HDMI output jack, which is what you'd want to use. Problem solved, case closed.

You could theoretically use component, but most players that offer upconversion through the component cables require some sort of hack or firmware update. Assuming you don't want to deal with that, and assuming your new TV has an HDMI input anyway, HDMI is the way to go.

My old (1 year) setup contained a 52 inch Tosh DLP with a Samsung HD-850. It did upconvert to 1080i through Component with anything and every DVD I own.
The HD-850 does not upconvert via component right out of the box. You have to apply a hack with your remote control using a special, not-so-secret four-digit code. It's easy enough to find out how to do this, but again, the OP is new to this and would have to know there is such a hack for his new DVD player before he bought it.
Old 09-21-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I hereby declare Salty the winner.