Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sharp 1080p LCD Deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Sharp 1080p LCD Deal

This should probably go in the deals forum, but I know a lot of people have been asking what tv they should buy recently. If you're considering LCD Best Buy is selling a Sharp 1080p LCD tv this weekend for around $1400. Crazy deal if you ask me.
Old 09-02-07, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size?
Old 09-02-07, 02:40 PM

If they have the horrible banding problems that plagued that series, it might not be worth it.

I usually dont believe half the nitpicks on AVSforum, but the 42 inch I saw at CC was terrible...very bad, and I tend to let things go. When the screen faded to black for the half-second between things on their loop, the screen looked striped, with varied shades of gray.
Old 09-02-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry about that - it was 42" and it's actually at CC, not BB.
Old 09-02-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
*caugh* I'll say it again, unless you are using as a computer monitor I'd save the $400 and get the Panasonic 720p Plasma. With that $400 you could get all the wiring you need, a HD DVD player and several movies.
Old 09-02-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
*caugh* I'll say it again, unless you are using as a computer monitor I'd save the $400 and get the Panasonic 720p Plasma. With that $400 you could get all the wiring you need, a HD DVD player and several movies.
Don't get me wrong - I still love the Panny at 720p. Granted this Sharp set may have some issues as addressed above, but I'm surprised to see a 1080p panel offered from a reputable manufacturer for such a reasonable price.

By the way, the ads this weekend are saying the Panny is now $100 less (non-sale price).
Old 09-02-07, 06:20 PM

I saw the ad for the Sharp TV and couldn't believe a 1080p 42" could be had for the price. I checked into it at AVSForum as well as CC's own reviews and there was mention that this model didn't have a good picture when you're not viewing it from directly in front of the TV. Also, with the banding issue that was mentioned (which are common in other brands also), does this make buying this TV a bad buy or are these faults acceptable given the price?
Old 09-02-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by consoleman
I saw the ad for the Sharp TV and couldn't believe a 1080p 42" could be had for the price. I checked into it at AVSForum as well as CC's own reviews and there was mention that this model didn't have a good picture when you're not viewing it from directly in front of the TV. Also, with the banding issue that was mentioned (which are common in other brands also), does this make buying this TV a bad buy or are these faults acceptable given the price?
I think you hit it on the head - are the fault acceptable given the price.

Honestly, if it was just the viewing angle I'd probably say yes (since I always like to sit straight on). However, if it was a general purpose tv for a high traffic area, and banding were and issue I think the answer would obviously be no.

Even if the tv is bad, in my mind this goes a long way to drive prices over the next 3-9 months for sets. I'll be very curious to see how plasma and 720p sets manage to stack up in terms of performance and price as next years' sets hit the shelves. Still another 4 or 5 months until we find out what those are though.

Still, to my eyes, plasmas are still the best.
Old 09-02-07, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I've been searching for the longest time on finding a good deal on a name-brand 1080p HDTV for a decent price. Looks like I'll be looking longer.

Funny how models from even the biggest names seem to have problems such as these. You would think, this late in the game as HD has been around for quite a number of years already, LCD (and plasma) technology would be as close to perfect as they can be already.