Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Trouble with HDCP and HDMI switcher

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I had my Sammy 5674 hooked up via HDMI to my cable company's cable box (Pace DC551P) and everything worked great (the screen went green every now and then, but I'm thinking that is the standard "gremlins" that come with cable company equipment, as I can turn it off and on and it usually works right away again).

I then bought the 3x1 HDMI switcher from monoprice and hooked up my cable company cable box (Pace DC551P) and my PS3. Every time I change the channel on the cable box, I get the "Your TV is not HDCP compliant". However, when I click settings and select 720P, the nag goes away and everything works as it did, so it seems it's something with the handshake. If I go from the PS3 back to the cable box, it keeps working (as I guess it's already negotiated the handshake and doesn't ping the TV again for it). Anyone know of anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I am really reaching here but I had similar issues with a pc connected to my projector and this device solved my problem.

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ext-dvi-edid.html
Old 08-16-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm a little confused as to how it works. Can you elaborate a little (I read the description on the product page and was still a little confused )
Thanks.
Old 08-16-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lampei
I guess I'm a little confused as to how it works. Can you elaborate a little (I read the description on the product page and was still a little confused )
Thanks.
In my case each time I would shut down my pc or change inputs on my hdmi switch, the projector would lose the edid of the pc.

This box stores the edid and sends it to the projector through the input so the projector always recognizes the pc.

Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds similar.
Old 08-16-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This is why I got the 5x1 from Monoprice even though I am not using two of the inputs. It's the only one without a ton of problems (especially from the PS3).
Old 08-16-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is why I got the 5x1 from Monoprice even though I am not using two of the inputs. It's the only one without a ton of problems (especially from the PS3).
I use the same switch.

The issue for me was between the pc and the projector. Because it was going through the switch, each time the pc was shut down or the projector changed input of was shut down, the edid was lost.
Old 08-17-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, the problem was not with the PS3, it's with the cable company cable box. That loses the HDCP handshake and can't figure out that it's still HDCP compliant. I may have to try the Geffen DVI detective. Is there any place with a good return policy if it doesn't work? There's a dealer not too far from my house, but I'm not sure if they would take a return of it, or even if they would sell it.
Old 08-17-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this and it doesn't look like the dvi detective will fix the problem
Old 08-17-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lampei
Yeah, the problem was not with the PS3, it's with the cable company cable box. That loses the HDCP handshake and can't figure out that it's still HDCP compliant. I may have to try the Geffen DVI detective. Is there any place with a good return policy if it doesn't work? There's a dealer not too far from my house, but I'm not sure if they would take a return of it, or even if they would sell it.
Hmm, not sure what to say about this and I just now saw your next post.

I ordered mine from the link I provided, they have a return policy minus a restocking fee. I was willing to try as a last resort, so it was worth it to me.

Clearly there are still many issues regarding compatibility to be worked out.