Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDMI questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDMI questions

are HDMI needed in a starter receiver? will i be ok without them, or are they a must have?
Old 08-08-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you have HDMI on your TV? If so, do you have enough HDMI inputs (on your TV) to take care of all your components? If you do, then I wouln't say you NEED a receiver w/ HDMI but it really depends on what your connecting to it.
Old 08-08-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Well I think it depends are your equipment, wants and needs.

My H/K has no HDMI inputs as it is a couple of years old. I was going to upgrade, but really can't justify it at this point.

I'm a little old school and still think you should take the most direct route possible. Meaning DVD>TV rather then DVD>Receiver>TV. However you might want the HDMI on your receiver that can process audio. This can make hook up a little easier, and help with processing some of the newer audio formats. But there maybe other ways to getting those newer formats depending on your sourse.

Also I would still buy a high quality receiver w/o HDMI before I bought a cheapy, (read POS Sony, Technics or something) with HDMI.

So while I think HDMI should be considered. I would not put it number one of importance. If I were buying a receiver today...I'd probably try to get it. But not if it meant getting a crappy receiver. On the other hand, not sure I would upgrade just for that.
Old 08-11-07, 01:29 PM

ok, first as of now i have nothing, looking to piece one together on paper then start buying over next moth or 2, i'm really partial to pioneer but do really like the older h/k stuff, but had not really looked at any thing in a long time