Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do I dare say it...Bose?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do I dare say it...Bose?

Old 08-09-07, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I dare say it...Bose?

I have a Klipsch 6.1 setup right now that is about 4 years old...we are moving into a new house where someday I will get a theater in my basement. My wife would like to have a nice surround sound in our family room but she doesn't want my "big" Klipsch speakers. We went to a Bose store and they do sound dang nice...do you think they would do us justice in a medium sized family room?

Also...has anyone heard of Jamo? And if so...how do they compare.

Matt
Old 08-09-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mhinkley
. . . We went to a Bose store and they do sound dang nice...do you think they would do us justice in a medium sized family room?

Also...has anyone heard of Jamo? And if so...how do they compare.

Matt
Yes I have heard of Jamo although I have never heard them.

What did you compare the Bose speakers to? How big was the room you listened to them in compared to your room? What were you listening to or watching? Were you familiar with the material?

What is a set of Bose going to cost versus the Jamo or any other brand?

Here is my stock advice for anyone, take some cd's/dvd's to a local (or more than one if you are lucky) speciality audio/video retailer and spend some time listening.

Compare speakers to each other based on design, size and sound. You will be able to make the right choice, which in a nutshell is why I dislike Bose.
Old 08-09-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
I don't normally do this..well with Bose I do....but PLEASE, PLEASE don't buy the Bose. You cared enough to come and check, don't get BOSE. Period.

There are lots and lots of small systems that actually do sound good. You want small compact there are a bunch of choice,

A small KEF package has been on and off sale like at Circuit City recently
The NHT's are always a favorite
I've read good things about the newish SVS compact system (who argueably make the best subs)
Old 08-09-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Bose is basically either: overpriced for what you get or under-featured for what you paid.
Old 08-09-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mirage also makes a sub/sat mini system (like the Bose lifestyle (shudder) systems). I've heard a few, and would take that any day over the Bose, but it's really up to your ears.
Take in music that you're familiar with and listen to a lot of different speakers with various types of music. Pick whichever ones sound best to you and are in your price range.
If that's the Bose, fine. I just refuse to buy anything without being able to compare it to something else. (which is why I detest the Bose store)
Old 08-09-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, yea...good recommendation on the Mirage...forgot about them.
Old 08-09-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the KEF deal is back on at CC. Recommended, and highly recommended at the $500 price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/KEF-H...oductDetail.do
Old 08-09-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Second the Mirage NANOSATs ( ) over the Bose.
Old 08-09-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Time to put this link back up:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 08-09-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought some bose back in 1991. I bought 2 satellites, a passive sub, and a center speaker. I still have them in a setup of mine. I added a AR 12 inch powered sub to that setup. It still sounds great. I remember paying about $1,500 in 1991 for the 4 speakers. That is quite a bit of dough, but people are still amazed by the sound. Many say they hear things they didn't know were there, or don't hear on their setup. I should state that I have 2 Advents at the rear.
Old 08-09-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

I endure the painful sound of Bose highs in my Grand Prix every day. Don't do it. Don't let the store demos with the thousands of dollars in audio processing and carefully designed demo material fool you.

I listened to some fantastic Paradigm bookshelf speakers at an audio shop. They sounded great. You can do better without using huge speakers.
Old 08-09-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously....there is absolutely no reason to buy Bose. Just about everything sounds better, just about everything is built better, there are many that are just as compact and versatile, there are many that look just as good, and most are less expensive.
Old 08-09-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No highs, no lows, bose...
Old 08-09-07, 09:27 PM

Buy Other Stereo Equipment
Old 08-10-07, 08:46 AM

hahahah...you guys rock...I need to have the wife see this thread

Thanks for the info from everyone!
Old 08-10-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhinkley
hahahah...you guys rock...I need to have the wife see this thread

Thanks for the info from everyone!
Go easy with the wife.

Part of the appeal of BOSE with women is what we call the SAF (spousal acceptance factor), in that they (women) are more interested in the design and aesthetics of the speaker rather than the performance.

Bottom line is that you can get better sound quality than BOSE, you may just have to compromise on style or look.
Old 08-10-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bose
"Better Sound through Marketing"

Do you know why those Bose sounded good at the Bose store?

Because they design the whole darn store to be acoustically perfect so when you walk in and listen they sound the best they will ever sound.

Then they jack the price up 250% so they can pay the sound technician who came in to do the acoustics.

Then you take home your system and it sounds nothing like it did in the store and you realize you have been duped.

Then you poste a topic here that asks the question "Why do my Bose sound so tinny?"
Old 08-10-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Bottom line is that you can get better sound quality than BOSE, you may just have to compromise on style or look.
See that use to be the case. The one thing Bose had going for it was it looked cool. Now however, quality speaker makers have caught on and come out with nice looking, compact speakers. Heck, I think something like the Orbs are better looking then the Bose. The Mirage above are hot looking, imho. I like the looks of the KEF tho think they look better in Black.

And as you can attest to Brian...if you really want to make your speakers "disappear" then just do in-wal, in-ceiling. Something like the B&W's or KEF in wall speakers would blend with the room better then Bose and sound a ZILLION time better. And yes, I really do mean ZILLION.
Old 08-10-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After we're done with you, you won't be saying that brand ever again. Not even in your real life.
Old 08-10-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
And as you can attest to Brian...if you really want to make your speakers "disappear" then just do in-wal, in-ceiling. Something like the B&W's or KEF in wall speakers would blend with the room better then Bose and sound a ZILLION time better. And yes, I really do mean ZILLION.
Yes I am a fan of inwalls, however, not everyone is prepared to pull cable and cut holes. It is an easier choice if the room is being built, which is what I did.

And you are correct about there being other choices. All the more proof that marketing is the single biggest factor here, not audio performance.
Old 08-10-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
In the industry, "BOSE" is considered an acronym for "Buy Other Sound Equipment".
Old 08-11-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
No highs, no lows, gotta be a Bose. I do also love the "Buy Other Sound/Stereo Equipment."
Old 08-11-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Bose
"Better Sound through Marketing"

Then you take home your system and it sounds nothing like it did in the store and you realize you have been duped.

Then you poste a topic here that asks the question "Why do my Bose sound so tinny?"
See I disagree. If people did that, then eventually word would get out and they would not buy. To me that is the biggest "dupe" of all.

Hearing is a learned and adaptable. For the most part, people who own Bose, think they sound great. Why? They probably didn't listen to anything else AND even if the person thought it sounded a "little different" when they got home, they quickly adapted to it. They became use to the sound, and became comfortable with it.

Yes, there are few that seem to "see the light", but IMHO, most people who have Boss, get it home, think "it sounds fine" and never givie it a 2nd thought.
Old 08-11-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a fan of the phrase "Bose blows..."