Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

upconversion on onkyo 605 receivor: newb question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) First question.

Trying to make sense of all the specs, so thanks for your patience.

I am considering buying the Onkyo 605 receivor that has been highly recommended. The only negative reviews mention limitation on its upconversion.

If I have a dvd player (i.e. oppo 981HD) that performs upconversion of SD-DVDs to 1080p, the receivor should receive a 1080p signal from the dvd player, and pass that through to the t.v. in 1080p (assuming that my t.v. can accept 1080p), correct?

2) Second question: I think I'll jump on HD-DVD pretty quick, and I know that those dvd players also perform upconversion. However, I have many dvd's from other regions... as of yet, is there any region hack for the Toshiba HD players? I have looked, but haven't found anything.

Right now, I don't have an upconverting regionfree dvd player or an HD DVD player, and ideally I would only have to buy one machine: a dvd player that can 1) output HD DVD at 1080p (i.e. Toshiba HD-XA2), 2) upconvert SD-DVD to 1080p, 3) play region free. Does this exist?
Old 07-29-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) Yes.
2) No, probaby never in a Tosh. You'd need Oppo or someone to come out with an HDDVDp. Theoretically.

And no to the last 3 words.
Old 07-29-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your answers Spiky. I have been reading other threads where you have been very helpful as well.

I'm using the search feature as much as possible, but the learning curve for some of this stuff seems pretty steep. I'm sure I'll be around with a couple more questions... I really appreciate the forum's, and Spiky's, help.
Old 07-31-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only downconversion issue on the 605 you will get is that the analog stuff is only transcoded to digital and upconverted to 720p. If you try to send a 1080i/1080p signal over component video and you want to use the analog -> HDMI transcoding path, you're going to get 720p out of the HDMI out.

1080i component -> 1080i component and 720p HDMI

HDMI devices are passed through without tinkering - no OSD, no up/down conversion/etc - so 1080p HDMI -> 1080p HDMI

This isn't an issue for me as both my projector and LCD are 720p.

So your only worry is component devices, if you want to convert them to HDMI.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-31-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do you say you don't have an upconverting, region free DVD player? You have an Oppo, it's one of the best and easily region free.
Old 07-31-07, 02:39 PM

I have both the toshiba HDa2 and the oppo dvd player.. the toshiba cann't play other regions (only HD DVD, which are region free) or any pal dvds.

I would keep the oppo and still get the toshiba HD player.
I have been using the toshiba and have not even turned on my oppo since getting the HD player..

the HD player does a better job with the upconversion.

Jacob
Old 07-31-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Oppo 981 will do a much better job deinterlacing tricky material than the cheaper HD-DVD players. I'd advise keeping it for SD-DVD and region free unless you want to invest in a Reon-equipped HD-XA2.