Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My new (used) theater seats

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I made my first craigslist purchase today. I bought four seats out of an old AMC theater. For $50 each I think they are GREAT. Here are two that are built, I will be building the other two monday after I build the riser...

Old 07-28-07, 09:39 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You lucky bastard. I'd love to get a set of those for $50/each. Have you thought about how you're going to bolt them to the floor?
Old 07-28-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
You lucky bastard. I'd love to get a set of those for $50/each. Have you thought about how you're going to bolt them to the floor?

Vid I am going to build a riser.
http://www.diy-home-theater-design.c...-platform.html

I am going to have a love seat as a front row eventually.

BTW, the lady has 4 more in the central FL area. So if you are interested I can shoot you the email address.
Old 07-28-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Sounds like my set up. I bought mine used off ebay for $85, but w/shipping worked out to be about $125 I think. I bought 6. Here is a pick before I put a couch for the front row.

Little better pic...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-28-07 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sdallnct, how high is your riser? The Riser Calculator says that my riser should be 10" but that seems much higher than yours. If you put a sofa in front of the seats and can see fine I might try and go lower...
Old 07-28-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW I am impressed everytime I see pictures of your theater. I have a small room and I really don't like the color as a theater, but we had just painted it as a craft room and I am to cheap to repaint. I am slowly getting things done the way I like them though.
Old 07-28-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Sdallnct, how high is your riser? The Riser Calculator says that my riser should be 10" but that seems much higher than yours. If you put a sofa in front of the seats and can see fine I might try and go lower...
No, go the 10" or higher or what the calculator says.

I built my riser when I knew very little what I was doing, what chairs I would get and what I was putting in the front row.

I used 2X6's on end of course + 3/4" OSB. So little over 6". When I found these chairs I realized the 2X6's were not in the right location to screwn into, plus I wanted a little higher. So I layed a 2X10 flat on the riser, screwed that into the 2X6 "joists" and the chairs in to the 2X10. So I have an effective 8" riser and wish I had a little more.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-28-07 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
BTW I am impressed everytime I see pictures of your theater. I have a small room and I really don't like the color as a theater, but we had just painted it as a craft room and I am to cheap to repaint. I am slowly getting things done the way I like them though.
Thank you. You will find out this "hobby" is a never ending project. I'm still tweaking. Since those pic's above I have added a new posters and Pic's, gotten a new pj, etc. In fact lately I have been spending a lot of time calibrating that new projector.

Oh, and I just recently put new carpet down....it goes on and on....
Old 07-30-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Bargain. Jealous. I would love those for a second row.
Old 07-30-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand the flair of authenticity these provide, but there is no way in hell I would put them in my HT and actually expect anyone to use them. I much prefer my overstuffed reclining seats. Then again, maybe my fiance wouldn't fall asleep 20 minutes into every movie if I made her sit on one of those.
Old 07-30-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I understand the flair of authenticity these provide, but there is no way in hell I would put them in my HT and actually expect anyone to use them. I much prefer my overstuffed reclining seats. Then again, maybe my fiance wouldn't fall asleep 20 minutes into every movie if I made her sit on one of those.
For me, it has nothing to do with "flair" or "authenticity". For me it was a simple matter of space. "Overstuffed reclining seats" are great but are space eaters. As you can see in my pic, I got 6 theater chairs. In the same space I would have gotten 3 maybe 4 recliners.

Right now my front row is a couch. But will be 4-Berkline 088's. So I will have seating for 10 not including kids on the floor. And since my theater seats rock & have arms that lift, they are comfortable.

I have a family of 4, my parents live 4 houses down. So having 6 to watch a movie is a regular event. So I wanted comfortable seating for 10. I simply could not have done that with overstuffed recliners for all 10.

Also there is a cost issue. You can typically get 3-4 used theater seats for the cost of one overstuff recliner. But for me the issue was space.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-30-07 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But why not wooden stools? You could probably get 12 or 15 of those in there?

But seriously, I hear ya. Fortunately, my audience is usually two, and rarely three or four. I also use my HT for my regular TV viewing, as well as my PC use, which means I'm in there for many hours a day. At that rate, comfort takes precedence over utility.
Old 07-31-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
But why not wooden stools? You could probably get 12 or 15 of those in there?

But seriously, I hear ya. Fortunately, my audience is usually two, and rarely three or four. I also use my HT for my regular TV viewing, as well as my PC use, which means I'm in there for many hours a day. At that rate, comfort takes precedence over utility.
Well I won't argue that these are as comfortable as a recliner. But I think they are a lot more comfortable then you are giving them credit. They are not like a barstool. Yes, I use our theater for every day watching as well. No PC usage, tho have been surfing a little thru the PS3. These chairs are comfortable for a couple hours at a time. And it was not only a "width" issue, but a front to back, issue. Even if I could have lived with 3-4 seats on the rear row and 4 seats on the front, I didn't have enough room front to back without moving the front row way to close.