Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My new project (marquee)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My new project (marquee)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My new project (marquee)

I saw a project on avs forum and decided to work on it myself. I am making a Marquee for the outside of the room.

Here is what will be the face of the Marquee(thanks to dachavez on avs forum for the photoshop):

Here are the supplies:

The supllies are:
1 9x20 print from staples $ 4.24
1 Micheals shadowbox 9"x20" $14.00
1 7/8" drill bit $ 4.99
plastic sheet $ 2.99
rope light $12.99
alum foil and tape already owned

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 07-18-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cut the plastic sheet to match the glass for the shadow box. It helps defuse, and even out the light:

Tape the two peices of backing together, and wrap it in alum foil, I also drilled the hole into the back to get the light connection out.:
Old 07-18-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Attach the clips to the backing and attach the rope light to the backing:

Old 07-18-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here it is without the photo (have to wait 24hrs. for staples to print it.):

Old 07-18-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
I built one as well. Not as nice as yours as I didn't have the printer/photo shop so I paid a few bucks to the OP and he printed for me. I then built the box.

I used a shorter stand of light so it wouldn't be as bright and put in my theater room. Fun, quick, easy project.

I like your "presented in" part. Nice touch.
Old 07-19-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I planning on doing the same thing myself because I'm turning the living room into a home theater & althrough I only have a 32" CRT TV & Sony Home Theater System as my entertainment equipment their both good & I have lots of DVDs so I am just making it look like a nice clean HTR now.
I also am doing 2 frames with the rope light that I will have a photo of the cast of Scrubs on one side & either Seinfeld or The Larry Sanders Show on the other.
It's fun to do this kind of stuff on your own, especially when you don't have alot of money.
Old 07-19-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
I planning on doing the same thing myself because I'm turning the living room into a home theater & althrough I only have a 32" CRT TV & Sony Home Theater System as my entertainment equipment their both good & I have lots of DVDs so I am just making it look like a nice clean HTR now.
I also am doing 2 frames with the rope light that I will have a photo of the cast of Scrubs on one side & either Seinfeld or The Larry Sanders Show on the other.
It's fun to do this kind of stuff on your own, especially when you don't have alot of money.

I am planning on doing something similar with Scrubs. But, I am going to make it a print of the xray with the scrubs logo on it from the begining of the show. Hopefully making it look like a real xray screen.
Old 07-19-07, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
I am planning on doing something similar with Scrubs. But, I am going to make it a print of the xray with the scrubs logo on it from the begining of the show. Hopefully making it look like a real xray screen.
Excellent Idea, I think I might do the same thing!
Old 07-20-07, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent Idea, I think I might do the same thing!

I haven't found a good picture of the x-ray yet, in the next couple of days I will be grabbing a screencap off of the dvd. If I can find a place that will host it that won't resize it I will post it here.
Old 07-20-07, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
I haven't found a good picture of the x-ray yet, in the next couple of days I will be grabbing a screencap off of the dvd. If I can find a place that will host it that won't resize it I will post it here.
Sound good! I'll have too do the same thing with the DVD, try & grab a screencap off the DVD. I'm planning to try & do the same thing with The Larry Sanders Show but I'm trying to figure out what pic I want of who & what. I was thinking about doing ER one like Scrubs as well or try & morf them together or something cool like that.
I also got a really cool poster of all the Law & Order guys but I'm just going to put it in a standard frame & hang it.

Once I save up enough money I am planning on buying a nice black leather couch for my Home Theater (living room) Room but it will take a little while too save up the dough. On a side note, I got a brand new black coffee table that really flows with the rest of the HT Room.
Old 07-20-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are a couple of finished shots (sorry for the blur) I will have to post why it took me so long later as I have to go, but it turned out great!

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 07-20-07 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 04:15 PM

Very nice Keep me updated & I'll keep you updated as things progress with my HT room as well.
Old 07-20-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh the reason for the name

Old 07-21-07, 09:25 AM

Awww... cute Baby, Her names Victoria, cute. How old is she?
Old 07-21-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

6 months.
Old 07-22-07, 07:33 AM

^^^ Well I wish her good health. What's her favorite TV show? , looks like a young Seinfeld fan!, Looks like she's saying "Yada, Yada, Yada!". I'm still trying to figure out what pics I want of the cast of The Larry Sanders Show, I might just have a big picture of Rip Torn or something. I've decided to go with a picture of Sarah Chalke dressed in that sexy nurse outfit that Turk was having a fantasy about.
Old 07-22-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^ Well I wish her good health. What's her favorite TV show? , looks like a young Seinfeld fan!, Looks like she's saying "Yada, Yada, Yada!". I'm still trying to figure out what pics I want of the cast of The Larry Sanders Show, I might just have a big picture of Rip Torn or something. I've decided to go with a picture of Sarah Chalke dressed in that sexy nurse outfit that Turk was having a fantasy about.

She actually likes watching sports with daddy She can't wait to put on her football gear when the season gets started.

I am going to try to get a screen cap of the x-ray today, I might start working on that tomorrow. I love that seen with Sarah Chalke (man is she hot) But it brings up a hole in the story. In later seasons Turk explains how once JD sleaps with a girl she is no longer considered atrrative to him. JD had already slept with Elliot when he started having dreams about her...
Old 07-23-07, 08:30 AM

^^^ I know, I spotted that because I was watching the episode with the fantasy just a couple of days before that was said on the new episode last season (6th). Season 6 was still a good season don't get me wrong, & Scrubs is still better than almost every other TV show (& I watch alot of TV shows!) & it's certainly still the best comedy on television but this past season sadly saw a bit of a decline in quality. I love how Scrubs mixes comedy & drama, but this season they were going more for the drama then for the comedy. Oh, well like I said still better than most of the stuff on the TV.
Scrubs along with The Larry Sanders show is one of the few comedies that make me laugh out loud so many times per episode it isn't even funny. Not even the almightly Seinfeld can make me Laugh like Scrubs & Larry can.
I think season 7 (the final season) will be a knock-out season of Scrubs (only 18 episodes this season). I hope the series finale is good, too many sitcoms have finales that leave you in awww...this is awful. [*Cough*] Roseanne [*Cough*].

Anyways I am still trying to figure out exactly what pics I want. I'm busy this week so I don't know if I will decided but I will definitely have a decision by the weekends end.

When your daughter gets the little football gear on, post some pics! Very beautiful baby. Just remember they grow-up fast!