Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upconverting DVD player issue.. please help.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am vaguely knowledgable on all of this so some help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a mitsubishi WS-55809 widescreen rear projection TV, 1080I capable. It doesn't have dvi or hdmi inputs. I recently purchased a Momitsu V-880-DX DVD player and am upconverting it to 1080I 60hz via DTV component input. There is a noticable difference in the clarity and I am happy with the picture, probably the best that I will get from this TV. But there seem to be issues with the signal and I am not sure if it's a defective DVD player or some type of compatability issue.

When playing DVDs, the menu screens either disappear (screen goes blue) and most of the time the previews and opening DVD mumbo jumbo gets wavy and distorted. WHen the screen turns blue, I can just press menu on the remote and it will appear again on at the disc menu and the movie itself will play fine. Macrovision is disabled on the unit, etc.

The distortion or blue screen seems to happen predominantly on non anamorphic dvds. 1080I will make the image wavy and distorted across the bottom but it is fine when switched back to 480P.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.