Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDMI and picture question, please help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Panasonic HT940 (upconverting) Home Theater unit and a 60' Sony LCD. Until recently the picture quality has been very, very good (I upconvert to 720p). A week ago, all 2:35 aspect ratio movies have a slight, thin line on both the top (a quarter inch front he black bar) and bottom (a quarter inch above the black bar) that stretches horizontally across the screen. It's not there on 1:85 aspect ratio movies and not there on full frame movies...any ideas? I've checked to make sure the HDMI cable is plugged in securely...it is. My inclination is a cable problem but I wanted to get some feedback from the smarter folks here. Thanks.
Old 07-15-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really can't be a cable problem with HDMI. If it was, it would be random artifacts on screen, not a defined line. Do you mean the lines are right in the movie picture area?
Old 07-15-07, 10:11 PM

yes, two lines straight across...transparent except they are a darker in color.
Old 07-16-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got nothing. Except to check your settings. Make sure the player is still set to 16:9, the TV similar, etc. Maybe check into "velocity scan modulation" or "edge enhancement" in the TV and turn it down/off if possible. And your grounding, esp cable/sat wires coming in the house.

It just doesn't sound like something the HDMI could cause, or the player's video processing, even if it were dying. It almost seems more likely to be a form of ghosting coming from the LCD, somehow ghosting the black bars in scope (2.35:1) movies.
Old 07-17-07, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
if you have an mpeg noise reduction setting on your DVD player, shut it off.
Old 07-17-07, 11:09 AM

Thanks for your comments and help. I will try a few of the things mentioned. If it doesn't work, I'll take a photo to show exactly what's going on.
Old 07-18-07, 02:00 AM

Okay, one last thing...I don't think it's the television as high def 2:35 movies (from Comcast On Demand) look great with no wierd black bars. What's the best way to ground incoming cable? Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-18-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Okay, one last thing...I don't think it's the television as high def 2:35 movies (from Comcast On Demand) look great with no wierd black bars. What's the best way to ground incoming cable? Thanks for all your help.
Just my .02.

Different sources may look different, I experience this myself. I doubt it is the cable, if you want to check that borrow another hdmi cable and do an a/b test yourself.

It may be a settings/calibration issue. In my case I just got back from vacation and found that my Direct TV receiver had all of it settings wiped, possibly from a power failure? I had to set up the entire box again before I had my Direct TV and HD signals back the way they were.
Old 07-18-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grounding is pretty simple. Get these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=180-065

Then run a ground wire to the electrical pole. Always easier if the cable/sat coax enters the house near the electrical pole. It should already be done. Sat guys usually do it, cable guys often don't. My Dish Network guy did it stupid, so I changed it later.