Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Look ideas for a new plasma?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i just purchased a new 42 plasma tv and already hung in on my wall.

The TV is great but for some reason the way it's placed on my wall just does not look right to me.
(Ill take pics later)
My original idea was to hang the TV on one wall and put all the components against the opposite corner. So this one wall should only have the TV and the speakers. The reason for this is that there is a lot of foot traffic around that wall and sny rack would stick out too much.

1. The first thing i need to do is hide the wires. I dont want to run them through the wall as i dont think i'll stay at my current house for longer then another year.
Can anyone recommend a plate or gutter type system to hide the wires. I'd like it to be large enough to coves a surge protector. My thought was to paint it wall color and be done with it.

2. Should i paint that wall a darker color. It's currently light bage/olive color. I was thinking darker green or burgandy.

3. is there a small rack that only sticks out about 12 inches or so that i can place under the TV to hide the wires and maybe provide placement for a center channel? links would help

if there is a place somewhere with a bunch of pics of setups.. please let me know
Old 07-11-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so i found something liek this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EspjoB2...750#morephotos

but i need it deeper as i'd like to hide a surge protector in it and the power outlet is right under the tv and is very visible.
Old 07-12-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. It would be cheaper just to run them through the wall. If you are talking about just from the floor up to the plasma, that is fairly simple to do. Inexpensive cable channels are only made for electrical, IME. $40 for 1' of hiding cable seems crazy to me when you could spend about $.50 on wall plates and just cut a hole down low behind whatever cabinet you find and another right behind the plasma. Cable goes in, comes out above, done. Invisible.

2. Dark makes a nice background for watching TV, most dedicated home theaters are dark.

3. Sounds like you want a DVD storage rack. There is no equipment rack with such a short depth since equipment is mostly deeper than that. Should be plenty for a center speaker. Or even just a bookshelf.

AVS Forum has a pic section on setups, but they are mostly dedicated theaters with pics of room design and projectors. I'm not sure if they'd compare to what you are trying to look at. Could be a few plasma setups.
Old 07-12-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Style is everything!

www.theevosystem.com

Pro-B
Old 07-13-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Style is everything!

www.theevosystem.com

Pro-B

That's hot, but I built a small 3 panel one with a 37" mount and a single 22" shelf, no speaker mounts nothing (was thinking the bedroom) on their builder site and that alone was 1000 bucks. As a buddy said, for a thousand bucks, I could buy a second TV to hide the wires of the first tv!
Old 07-13-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.reversica.com/products.html
Old 07-13-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yep..i am looking for a cheap solution.. not looking to spend a grand on an entertainment scenter. Plus all i need is a fairly narrow bench or ent center to hide the wires going in to the floor and the plug.