Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Seeking recommendations for my first home theater set-up...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Here's what I'm working with:

Sony KDF-E42A10 42" LCD Rear Projection Television
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player
11x13 living room
Up to $500 budget

I'd like to get the best sound that I can (of course). Aesthetics isn't a major concern, neither are wires -- speaking of which, I'll probably need cable type/hookup suggestions as well.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 07-11-07, 06:42 PM

If you're talking $500 for a receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, you're not going to get anything all that great. I know there are some threads over at AVS about budget systems. You might consider a refurb Onkyo receiver and then speakers suggested over there. I don't recall specific brands.

I bought the following 5.0 system for our living room for $167 shipped, and have been very happy: http://www.satelliteguys.us/v-receiv...peaker-ht.html
Old 07-12-07, 12:09 AM

Thanks for replying! And yes, I realize my limitations in regards to the budget. I'm looking over the system you have now. I like the looks of "the new budget champion."
Old 07-12-07, 10:10 AM

I just helped a friend set up 5.1 audio in his basement, and was pretty impressed with what I put together for him. Bought everything online, and total (including shipping) came to about $750. This was for an Onkyo receiver, Velodyne 10" sub, and Polk Audio speakers for the rest.

My 7.1 system at home was about $3500, and is definitely better, but he really got a lot of bang for his bucks.
Old 07-12-07, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by shelland
If you're talking $500 for a receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, you're not going to get anything all that great. I know there are some threads over at AVS about budget systems. You might consider a refurb Onkyo receiver and then speakers suggested over there. I don't recall specific brands.

I bought the following 5.0 system for our living room for $167 shipped, and have been very happy: http://www.satelliteguys.us/v-receiv...peaker-ht.html
What receiver are you using?