Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder and ofcourse have a few questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 10:08 PM
DJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

After advice from one person on purchasing a DVD Recorder, I chose a Panasonic model. It has both the DVD Recorder and VHS. The model number is DMR-ES35V.

Does anyone have this model number? I guess I'm just confused on how the chapters are inserted. Apparently it seems that I can only insert chapters when using a DVD-RAM?

What is really the difference between RAM and - and + DVDRs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does the person who has this model enjoy it. It seems like a good recorder. I was hoping to discuss this with a few people or even one for that matter.

Thanks for your help.
DJL
Old 07-09-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On my low end model (no VHS), the chapters can only be manually inserted on -RAM, possibly +RW. On other disc types, it automatically inserts them every 5 minutes or so. You have to get a hard drive model to have better options from Panasonic, I think.

-+R is one time recordable. -+RW is rewritable many times. And +RW has better features than -RW, like selective delete. -RAM is like a hard drive, really. Anything you can do on a hard drive, you can do on -RAM, just slower. And -RAM is much more expensive than the other blank DVDs.

Oh, and I love mine. Chapters aren't a big issue to me, so others may disagree on some points. I usually am recording to keep, so I use -R. The only time I've generally used rewritable of any kind is to get a temp copy to a friend to watch when he missed a show.
Old 07-11-07, 04:15 PM
DJL

Thanks for some explanation about the recorder. I guess what confuses me is why Panasonic is promoting DVD-RAM? What is so great about these Disks that cannot be captured in DVD-R/+R/RW besides that RAM is able to be copied more than once? It does not seem that Sony or Toshiba are promoting DVD-RAM.

It also surprises me that making chapters with this recorder is apparently only possible with RAM disks. I'm just confrused as to why they would do that.

Finally, does anyone know where to buy DVD-RAM disks? Is DVD-RAM a new way of recording on DVD or have they existed for awhile? I understand that most DVD players can't read them so I'm confused again on what good they are.

Thanks and sorry so many questions,
DJL
Old 07-11-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Yea, Panasonic has a thing for RAM. Don't know if all, but I've seen regular Panasonic dvd players that play RAM. Only user I can thing of is to use RAM disc to record shows to watch and then erase and use over, ala VHS.
Old 07-11-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Walmart has DVD RAM discs.