Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Puchased the HTR projector last night

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Mitsubishi HC3000, and have ordered a fixed 100 inche screen. Now the real work begins. Will finish repairing some walls and begin painting today, probably do more shopping for HTR loungers. I've a $5000 budget, and it's not going to leave a lot for cute decorations and such things. I do believe that the girl friend is going to gift me the theater popcorn maker.

Last edited by MrVette99; 07-04-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-04-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yea, $5,000 isn't a huge budget when you look at all the fancy HT stores, and such. But actually, you can do a lot with it. About three years ago, I initially built by home theater for $3,000 including six theater chairs. Now I started with a X1, but still, it can be done.

You have got to be willing to do a lot yourself and be willing to play around. As for decorations, you can often save a lot there. Instead of buy 4-5 $75 Dolby signs, find some hi-res images on the net, burn them to cd and take them to Target and have 8X10 prints made for a few buck. Then a $7.00 frame and you are set.
Old 07-04-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Just don't skimp on a theater popcorn maker.
Old 07-04-07, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just don't skimp on a theater popcorn maker.
I'm not much of a popcorn eater, but it would look nice to have off in the corner. She'll purchase high end, if I do a good job on the room. If I do a crappy job, it will be a hot plate and Jiffy-Pop.

Old 07-04-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you have another room you can put the popcorn maker in? Most (including me) do not put it in the theater room. They have lights, they will make the room smell. Luckily I was able to build a bar right next to my theater room. But even if you only have a hall or something, you might think about putting outside the room, near the entrance or something.

This is the one I have and recommend. I love it. It has a slightly larger kettle which will handle the 6oz pre-measured packs even tho it is a 4oz maker.

http://www.concessionstands.com/s.nl/it.A/id.448/.f

I got it from one of the sponsers over at AVS when they had a power buy.
Old 07-04-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, how did you hook yours up to an AC outlet. I was reading the manual on these and they have a special type of AC plug? And they need to have no other appliance on the same circuit?
Old 07-04-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, how did you hook yours up to an AC outlet. I was reading the manual on these and they have a special type of AC plug? And they need to have no other appliance on the same circuit?
Not these smaller units.

The Gold Medel Fun Pop that I have is truly a smaller version of a pro-machine. It plugs into a normal outlet. In fact, I have it plugged into a power strip with several other items including by bar frig. Here is a pic,

Now if you get over the 8oz units, then yea you better read carefully on if it needs 220 or a dedicated unit.

I had a tough time deciding between the 4oz and 6oz units. So I went with this one as it is a slightly larger unit overall and has a slightly larger kettle then most other 4oz units. This means it can hold several batches of the 6oz packets when we have a lot of folks over for movie night.

I love popcorn, but hate microwave popcorn. I love this machine. I'm always the one that ends up cleaning it, but it take about 5-10 tops. Easiest to clean when the kettle is still warm. But even if it is not, warm water does the trick. The entire kettle comes out easily and can take to the sink.
Old 07-08-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I found descent budget seating here: http://www.4seating.com

I was suprised by the quallity. Very good for the price.
Old 07-08-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You need to do some research over at AVS. I'm pretty sure 4seating is NOT a fan favorite and believe they have had some issues.
Old 10-06-07, 03:46 PM

I'm about a week away from showing movies. I had to do a ceiling mount for the projector, which required me moving a power outlet, wall sconces was a big pain. Pulled carpet for the first time to run the speaker cables. I did most of the work during the summer and had to install a swamp cooler in the garage and duct it up thru the attic and vent it into the room. Cool and completely silent, just the way it has to be. But with My Luck, now that it's almost showtime -- the weather is cooling off.

I'm now waiting on the furniture, and a 32 foot component video cable. In the meantime just some more minor wall/ceiling repair.

I've only ordered four chairs for the 1st go, and will order another 4 later if it makes good sense. Budgeted $5K, but have only spent $3935. Another 4 chairs and I'm over, but they're really nice comfortable seats that everybody will enjoy. Oh, and I may have to spend more then I like on the curtains at some point. Not absolutely required but will complete the look of the room, so it's 95% likely to happen.

Still gots the girl friend too, so well see what kind of popcorn machine I might get.
Old 10-06-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the update.
Old 10-06-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the update.
Yea...but we need pic's.

How else are we going to steal ideas?
Old 10-13-07, 12:34 PM

The room is now functional. Lots left to do, but if I was to do nothing more, this is a fine fine job and will be a source of great movie viewing pleasure.

My Home Theater Room
Old 10-13-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Very nice.
Old 10-13-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good job!!!
Old 10-13-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's so much fun having a big screen, isn't it? After I first got mine up, my father starting telling people, "oh, Jeff doesn't have a TV anymore. He has a wall."
Old 10-14-07, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
It's so much fun having a big screen, isn't it? After I first got mine up, my father starting telling people, "oh, Jeff doesn't have a TV anymore. He has a wall."
Oh Yeah. Larger then life takes on a new meaning. What I cannot get over is that nothing is sacrificed in this expansion. Certainly not all have the means to do this, but anybody that can and doesn't just hasn't been introduced to what is an HTR. I did this on the cheap and have a totally custom very cool movie dedicated movie room.