Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony 60A2020 settings?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony 60A2020 settings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony 60A2020 settings?

Does anyone have any good settings for the Sony 60A2020 TV. I've tried the ones on CNET and I don't really like them that much. I've tweaked them a bit. VIVID seems to look decent for my Cable Box. I did Custom on the PS3, but I had to tweak it. Games looked ok with CNET settings, but Blu-Ray did not look as great, so I tweaked. I just wanted something so I don't have to keep flipping from different settings.

Anyone?
Old 06-20-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't be much help, but I swear there's a forum for this question somewhere out there, like hometheaterspot or something like that.

I could really use it for my Toshiba TV if anybody links to it.
Old 06-20-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Calibration is a factor of so many variables that what is good for one is not going to be good for another. Best think you can do is get a good calibration disc and go to work.
Old 06-20-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Calibration is a factor of so many variables that what is good for one is not going to be good for another. Best think you can do is get a good calibration disc and go to work.
Although, I have multiple sources, and since they are all controlled independently, the disc will not work for the cable box.

Also, the PS3 is Blu-Ray and the 360 is component (with the HD-DVD attachment).

Although, I may try that to see what happens.
Old 06-20-07, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Custom for all of my inputs. Vivid if I remember correctly, just turns the brightness all the way up. Didn't you get the DVE HD/SD combo disc?

I could go through my settings for some of my inputs, but they are not the same for each input, they do differ. If you want and post them when I get off of work.
Old 06-20-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do NOT have the DVE HD/SD disc. Got horrible reviews from Amazon, but that could mean nothing.

I know the settings depend on light in the room and viewing angle, etc etc. I guess I just feel like I want the best. The CUSTOM setting from CNET almost seemed too drab or yellow or something to that matter. VIVID looked good for a Blu-Ray disc last night, but on MLB 07 (PS3) it seems odd.
Old 06-20-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Although, I have multiple sources, and since they are all controlled independently, the disc will not work for the cable box.

Also, the PS3 is Blu-Ray and the 360 is component (with the HD-DVD attachment).

Although, I may try that to see what happens.
I know, but remember, you can simply copy the settings across inputs (if they are both HDMI or component) for the same results. I have my A2 hooked up through both for this very purpose.
Old 06-20-07, 01:37 PM
Retired

Your really need to pick up one of the calibration discs. I'd probably go with Avia as I picked up the regular DVE and found it pretty unituitive. I was able to figure it out, but it was a PITA.

Also, search for the thread on this model at www.avsforum.com. They generally have long threads for every major TV model and odds are several people have posted calibrations there, and you can try some of them and see if you like any, and use them as starting points.

Even DVE stuff sometimes won't look good to you and you;ll have to tweak it a bit to your tests. My DVE brightness settings seemed a bit high for cable to me, though I did the brightness tests several times ton confirm it's right by their settings, so I've bumped it down 4 or 5 notches.