Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the Sony 50" SXRD 1080P Projection set please.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My wife and I bought one of these brand new yesterday for 1,620.00 plus tax. I was wondering what some of you thought of this particular set. It is our first 1080P set and a huge step up from our Sony 30" WEGA set (that is three times as heavy as this 50" set). Also, did we get a good deal price wise? Thanks!!!
Old 06-17-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not a bad price. I bought one in February (last year's model, which is essentially the same as the new models except for cabinet color) from OneCall.com for about $1,600.

I love this TV, and I've yet to see a picture that is as good. It does take some tweaking, as all HDTVs do. A good starting point can be found here, although I got a better result by bumping the color up a few points (maybe 57, I'll have to check when I get home tonight). Be aware that each input has three color setting memories, so you need to make adjustments for each input.

The set does a very good job of upconverting standard DVDs, but I upgraded to the Oppo 981 DVD player and got even better results. DVDs look almost high-def now.

I'll be getting a Blu-ray player toward the end of this year, and I can hardly wait!
Old 06-17-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Good price, and very nice set (I have the 60" A2000 SXRD). Like Mr. Salty said, it will need some tweaking (and there are a lot of adjustments to tweak!), out of the box it's set to "vivid", which is too unnatural looking. I think the SXRD gives you great bang for your buck, so you made a good choice. I certainly have no regrets with mine (and I bought it before the recent price decreases). DVDs look really nice on it, it does a very decent job of upconverting, and Blu-ray discs and HD-DVDs can look incredible (just watched The Matrix HD-DVD last night, and the picture was stunning. Enjoy!
Old 06-20-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm really happy so far with this set. The colors are awesome and it seems to be a nice set for video games.