Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Yamaha receiver powers off by itself while in use

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Yamaha RXV795 AV receiver. I have been using it without problems with 3 different Sony DVD players for about 8 years. A few weeks ago my Sony DVD changer died (within 8 months of purchase) and I decided to stop buying Sony products due to poor reliability. I bought a Yamaha DVD changer and hooked it up to my receiver. While I never had a problem using this receiver with the Sony players, with the Yamaha DVD player, I am experiencing too many problems. The receiver powers off by itself after a few minutes of playing a DVD via the Yamaha changer.

I am now at a point where I am thinking of returning the Yamaha player and going with a Panasonic changer. But if anyone here can give any helpful suggestions I will appreciate it.

The Yamaha DVD changer model that I bought is DV-C6860. It plays PAL DVDs and is a multi-region player as well. Due to these features I am feeling reluctant to return it, but I need surround sound, and the lack of it while using this player is a big drawback.

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 06-09-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-09-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It shouldn't power off unless there is a short somewhere. Check your wires, maybe a speaker wire has frayed or you bumped it.

Have you tested it well to see if it is only with the DVD player? I'm trying to think of an electrical reason for it shutting off due to the connection between player and receiver. There just shouldn't be anything. Not to say it's impossible, weird stuff happens. What is connecting the 2?
Old 06-10-07, 08:37 AM

I used to have a monster optical cable connecting the old Sony DVD player to my Yamaha receiver.

The Yamaha DVD player only has co-axial digital out. So I use a new co-ax cable to connect the two. I will have to connect some other source and see if the problem repeats there also...
Old 06-10-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Is the Yamaha power cord plugged into an outlet on the receiver? If so, try another separate outlet.
Old 06-10-07, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Is the Yamaha power cord plugged into an outlet on the receiver? If so, try another separate outlet.
They are plugged in separate outlets.

I borrowed a Sony from my friend and tried it today. The receiver works with no problem at all....It is indeed weird.
Old 06-11-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin
They are plugged in separate outlets.

I borrowed a Sony from my friend and tried it today. The receiver works with no problem at all....It is indeed weird.
Ok how did you connect the Sony?

You wrote

So I use a new co-ax cable to connect the two
Can you try another coax? Definitely sounds like a short, was the connector tight on the coax? When the receiver turned off did the player turn off too?
Old 06-11-07, 10:44 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be something wrong with the Sony causing it to send a surge through the coax which is causing the receiver to shut down.

I had problems with an old Sony CD player that was doing that, though the current it was running through my system only caused problems with the digital cable box. Well, that and shocking you when you touched any unconnected cable that was in the loop.
Old 06-11-07, 10:47 AM
Suspended

overheating?
Old 06-11-07, 11:08 AM
Retired

That's what I was meaning by sending a surge back to the receiver. My old Sony component was doing that, and then the receiver would shut off to prevent overheating.

Sounds like the same could be happening to his, given that the other player he hooked up to it didn't cause any problems.
Old 06-11-07, 06:13 PM

Actually it was the new Yamaha DVD player that was causing the problem (and it was connected via a co-ax). I connected the Sony to the receiver with a TOSlink optical cable and there were no problems. Unfortunately the Yamaha player does not have an optical out ...

To answer Brian's question, when the receiver turned off the player did not turn off.

Edited to add:

I did a side by side comparison with the Sony and Yamaha DVD players using the same co-ax cable. I plug in the co-ax into the Sony DVD player and hit Play, the receiver runs fine. I stop the Sony, pull the co-ax out, and plug into the Yamaha DVD player, and hit Play, the receiver shuts off. I power on the receiver again, it immediately shuts off again. I guess Yamaha DVD players are not compatible with the Yamaha RXV795 receiver. It is a darned shame, because the picture quality of the Yamaha (especially the black level) is remarkably better than the Sony, plus it is multi-region hackable and plays PAL/NTSC.

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 06-11-07 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take the brand new player back, something is wrong with it. Don't test it anymore, in case something does happen to the receiver.

For the record, there is very little chance that the optical cable could do this, so it was wise to test the Sony with the coax.
Old 06-11-07, 11:42 PM
Retired

I agree. Just exchange the player, sounds like you probably got a bad one that's sending surges to the receiver for some reason.