Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Monoprice -- "Where are the instructions?"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to share this.

Last week I ordered some HDMI cables for my brother who has a Toshiba DLP 50" and an upconvert DVD player. On the phone with him on Friday night trying to figure out how they are to be connected. "They didn't come with any instructions!" I wish I was the one who could afford that kind of set-up.

Have yet to hear if they got it all figured out.
Old 05-27-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Not sure of your question but the cables will not/should not come with instructions for hook up. His components (TV, DVD, etc) should.

Also typically there are at least two or three different ways to hook things up, depending on the equipment you have or what you want. For example, do you want audio from your DVD player to come out of your TV or audio system or both? Typically you decide how you want to hook things up THEN order the cables to meet those needs.
Old 05-27-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Yeah, why the hell would cables have instructions? Some people shouldn't be allowed to own the nice equipment that they do, if they can't figure out how to properly use them.
Old 05-27-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, why the hell would cables have instructions? Some people shouldn't be allowed to own the nice equipment that they do, if they can't figure out how to properly use them.
The first time seeing my friend's HD set-up, he had the HD box from the cable co., had spent quite alot $$ on component cables, stretched EVERYTHING to fit 16:9, and still had the TV source set to the cable (coaxial) INput.
Old 05-27-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Xbox69
The first time seeing my friend's HD set-up, he had the HD box from the cable co., had spent quite alot $$ on component cables, stretched EVERYTHING to fit 16:9, and still had the TV source set to the cable (coaxial) INput.

Two of my friends had the same sort of problem. The cable guy neglected to change the output of the Motorola box to 1080i even thought they were hooked up to the component imputs on the tv; not only was everything stretched the box was feeding the TV only 480i. I went into the box's menu and changed the output. The HD pic blew them away. They had no idea they were not getting an HD signal---and this went on for a couple of months without their knowledge. Goes to show some people don't know what the hell their looking at. HD is definetly not a plug and play device like the old standard SDTV. As for the cable guy; most if not all are pretty incompetent when hooking up equipment.

Also, If he had component cables what did he use them for if he used the coaxial imput? Didn't the cable co. give him component cables? They usually do.
Old 05-27-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I try not to watch TV at those people's houses. It makes me cry.
Old 05-27-07, 09:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Not sure of your question but the cables will not/should not come with instructions for hook up. His components (TV, DVD, etc) should.
He wasn't asking a question, but rather poking fun/stating astonishment at his brother bitching about HDMI cables not coming with instructions.
Old 05-28-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
He wasn't asking a question, but rather poking fun/stating astonishment at his brother bitching about HDMI cables not coming with instructions.
Ahh...sarcasm....yea, we had that around here, once.