Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Equipment Compatibility with HD Audio Formats

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, I own a Pioneer receiver that is capable of handling DTS-ES 24-bit/96kHz audio, as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 EX audio. I have been considering purchasing both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player, but am unsure about how they will work with my current audio setup. The receiver is capable of 7.1 channels of surround sound; my question is, with the HD audio formats of Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and lossless PCM, will these newer formats be properly decoded by my receiver, if at all?
Old 05-17-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your Pioneer have 5.1-7.1 analog inputs and/or HDMI with audio capabilities? If so, you should be OK for most of the new formats depending on the player you get.
Old 05-17-07, 04:07 PM

It has the 5.1 analog inputs, and an HDMI w/ audio.
Old 05-17-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, DTS-ES and 96/24 are not the same thing. But the 5.1 analog is compatible with any 5.1 format since it's analog. And if its HDMI accepts audio, it probably can play the 96/24 PCM from the HDMI, so it is digitally compatible too. But I can't say for sure based on this thread, do the specs tell you?
Old 05-18-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
If your receiver only has the analog inputs (no audio processing over HDMI), then for blu-ray you do NOT want a PS3, if you want the newer audio formats. The PS3 does not have analog outputs.

However, I believe just about every current stand a lone blu-ray player does have analog outputs.
Old 05-18-07, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, DTS-ES and 96/24 are not the same thing. But the 5.1 analog is compatible with any 5.1 format since it's analog. And if its HDMI accepts audio, it probably can play the 96/24 PCM from the HDMI, so it is digitally compatible too. But I can't say for sure based on this thread, do the specs tell you?
Based on what I read in the manual, it does accept HDMI audio up to 96/24.