Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can any damage be done by adjusting horizontal/vertical image to eliminate overscan?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can any damage be done by adjusting horizontal/vertical image to eliminate overscan?

Old 05-04-07, 10:18 AM

My TV seems to have a huge problem with overscan, so I made a purchase of the new Digital Video Essentials combo disc. But before I try to make any sort of adjustments, I just wanted to check with the experts to see if there would be any sort of "danger" in going into the service menu and adjusting the horizontal/vertical properties to work to lessen the overscan problem. I would be recording all of the original settings, just in case I'm not happy with the outcome, but, nonetheless, is there any possibility that what seems like a smart, well-done adjustment to me might end up damaging the TV or decreasing its bulb life (it's a DLP)?

If so, I could resign myself to just making some basic brightness/contrast/hue adjustments to help my viewing a little bit, but now it seems like every time I use the TV I notice this maybe 10% overscan problem and sometimes it really grinds my gears. Since it doesn't feel as though it would be a huge adjustment to the TV's actual functioning, I'm hoping it is kind of fool proof and wouldn't really hurt anything, but I could easily be convinced otherwise, as I hear the phrase "more harm than good" a lot whenever a TV service menu is mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any expert advice you can share.
Old 05-04-07, 10:38 AM
X
Administrator

I don't think there would be any problem, especially with a digital set.

Since it's a fixed-pixel device I'm curious why a DLP would have overscan. If you're using a digital connection from a DVD player it seems that there really shouldn't be any. What is the source?
Old 05-04-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't say for sure oon a DLP or any other digital TV but on my analog CRT there is a limit + or - that you should not go beyond or you'll blow a fuse.
Old 05-04-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On a CRT the scan is physically adjusted so you need to be careful not to throw it out of whack. On a digital the picture just moves or shrinks, the panel of whatever sort doesn't change at all. Shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 05-05-07, 01:27 PM

Okay, great. I'll write down all of the settings and give the adjustment a try next week. It's a DLP and has consistent overscan across various inputs (component XBox 360, HDMI HDDVD player, DVI->HDMI cable box, composite DVD player), so hopefully I can bring the overscan down to maybe 2-5% if possible without any problem. Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 05-05-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find 2% just about perfect for everything. I don't miss 2% on shows that are full to the edge, and it blocks out the mess on almost every SD channel.
Old 05-06-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it's typical of plasma sets or not, but my brother's recently purchased set has some overscan. I think it's to make sure there isn't extra picture info (or lack of info, more appropriately) on the edges that could cause burn-in if left on.

With DLP, no, the bulb wouldn't be affected. It burns at a consistent rate no matter what you adjust on the set (unless there's a mode that burns the bulb brighter).
Old 05-06-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All TVs have overscan, SDTVs pretty much need it since NTSC signals are nasty. Usually it's about 7% on these. It shouldn't be a burn-in issue since it usually looks like static on the edges. It's just hideous!

The deal with HDTVs is that you may not need it for most HD sources (some NBC HD shows always need 1-2%) since they usually fill the whole 720/1080 signal, so it's nice to have a set that allows you to turn it off. Or better yet, set the percentage to whatever you want.

It's a little annoying watching football. Those stupid info bars they love to use on the bottom are about 8" up the screen when I have overscan off. It is almost right in the middle.