DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo DV-970HD Issue

Old 05-03-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oppo DV-970HD Issue

I'm loving my new Oppo player and have taken advantage of some R2 discs recently, especially being able to view PAL discs as well as NTSC. I recently purchased a new Region 2 PAL disc and when it loaded into the player, it displayed "WRONG REGION" on the screen and would not get to the menu prompt screen. I promptly checked the disc for damage and it appears to be fine. I own other R-2 PAL discs that play without a problem. Anybody else experience this on their Oppo?
Old 05-03-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please tell us what disc it is.

Also, have you double-checked the region setting on your player to make sure you didn't accidentally set it to something else?
Old 05-04-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's one of the Jools Holland series: Later: Legends with a host of various music performances. I have been playing the Damned: MGE 25th Anniversary Tour DVD with no problems, but they both appear to be Region 2 PAL discs. I wasn't aware of a region setting on the Oppo since it played the other PAL disc without incident.
Old 05-04-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure they actually have a region code restriction in addition to being PAL? It's possible they are actually Region 0.

On my Oppo DV-981HD, the way to change the region coding is this:

Enter the player's setup menu (the player's menu, not a DVD menu) by pressing Setup on your remote. Then enter the numbers 9-2-1-0 on your remote, and a hidden menu will come up on your TV screen showing you what region the player is set to. Then just enter the region you want, and then exit the setup menu.

You can leave the player set for Region 0, but you may occasionally encounter a disc that has "Region Code Enhancement" (RCE), which won't play on a Region 0 player. In that case, you will have to set the player for the specific region of the DVD you're wanting to play.
Old 05-04-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Salty! Worked perfectly.