Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Factory remote or harmony?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a sharp home theater whihc is a surround sound system and 6 disc dvd changer/player. Nothing special but I don't have the remote, they want $50 shipped for the factory remote. I would rather have a harmony remote but I want to make sure I will be able to use all the functions as the factory reset....turning up and down volume, changing digital/line, full functionality from 6 disc dvd changer, ect.

Will the harmony remote have the capabilities to do these things?
Old 05-03-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy enough to find out. Go to Logitech's web site for their Harmony remotes. Once there you can set up an online account where you can set up a remote before buying. Tell it what equipment you own and program it how you like. You'll then be able to see if there are any commands that it won't handle for you.
Old 05-03-07, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac
It's easy enough to find out. Go to Logitech's web site for their Harmony remotes. Once there you can set up an online account where you can set up a remote before buying. Tell it what equipment you own and program it how you like. You'll then be able to see if there are any commands that it won't handle for you.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And then you can teach those commands to the Harmony so you will be able to use them.
Old 05-04-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
And then you can teach those commands to the Harmony so you will be able to use them.
Don't you need the original remote to teach the new remote?
Old 05-04-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
Don't you need the original remote to teach the new remote?
No you don't because buttons can be customized on Harmony. You can get brand new 520's on Ebay for $50-$60.
Old 05-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
No you don't because buttons can be customized on Harmony. You can get brand new 520's on Ebay for $50-$60.
I was thinking of getting a new learning remote and was wondering how it worked. On my older Sony Universal remote I needed the older remote to teach the functions of said remote. I could plug in the codes that Sony had in the instruction book but that was limited since it only was only able to do basic functions i.e. play, stop, rec. etc. If I wanted the Universal to have every function of the original I had to have the original remote to teach it.
Old 05-04-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Harmony online database has all of the info on the original remotes just waiting to be transfered to the Harmony that you buy. So the Harmony is learning from the original but it gets the info from the database so you don't need the factory remote to program it. The are some remotes from some manufacturers that might be incomplete in the database but if you have the original you can teach the missing commands to the Harmony. Then the next to you connect to the Harmony web site it will add that info to their database for others to use.
Old 05-05-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chipmac
The Harmony online database has all of the info on the original remotes just waiting to be transfered to the Harmony that you buy. So the Harmony is learning from the original but it gets the info from the database so you don't need the factory remote to program it. The are some remotes from some manufacturers that might be incomplete in the database but if you have the original you can teach the missing commands to the Harmony. Then the next to you connect to the Harmony web site it will add that info to their database for others to use.
Thanks for the info.

You sold me on getting one!
Old 05-05-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
harmonys rock.
I didn't have to do any 'learning' or code entry with mine. As long as you don't have like the first beta player or some brand new major high end device, odds are it'll be in their database.
I'd definitely get a harmony instead of buying a single-device remote for fifty bucks.
Old 05-07-07, 12:04 PM

Just got a Harmony 659 over the weekend at a closing Comp USA & it's an amazing remote. Easy to setup, easy to change to your own specs, easy to learn from another remote if you want to program say the vol buttons on the DVD portion to control the receiver. Excellent remote, well worth the $70ish I paid & I should've bought one long before now. Their database had most the commands already & the remote was able to control devices & buttons no other universal remote has been able to for my receiver & DVD player. There were even some commands that the regular remote for my receiver didn't have. Would highly recommend a Harmony to anyone in need of a remote to control every controllable piece of entertainment in their lives or living room.

Mine controls: Living Room TV, Living Room Monitor, Receiver, DVD Player, XBox 360
Old 05-08-07, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I've found out that my remote will operate my bookshelf stereo, as well as an oscillating fan. I'm just waiting for Harmony to add the "Man Remote" funtionality.