DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Help me pick a 1080p TV! (please?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/499540-help-me-pick-1080p-tv-please.html)

Nefarious 05-25-07 08:12 AM

DLP bulb replacement is about every 3k-4k hours. So figure every 2-3 years.

I thought the Sony's looked nice when I was in the store the other day but I think they have name mark-up. I've also heard that their customer service is woeful but I can't speak to that with any first-hand knowledge.

How do you define affordable? Are you looking to stay in a particular price-range?

DJ_Longfellow 05-25-07 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
DLP bulb replacement is about every 3k-4k hours. So figure every 2-3 years.

I thought the Sony's looked nice when I was in the store the other day but I think they have name mark-up. I've also heard that their customer service is woeful but I can't speak to that with any first-hand knowledge.

How do you define affordable? Are you looking to stay in a particular price-range?

I guess I was looking to stay around the $2000 range. Although, I may wait until the end of the year, we'll see on that. The Mitsubishi DLP's have been like $1600ish, so that appeals to me. I love my current Mits also, so that is tempting. But 2-3 years to replace a bulb...that sucks. Do extended warranty's cover that?

Nefarious 05-25-07 10:51 AM

The protection plan my brother got through OneCall for his Samsung DLP is for 5 years and covers the first bulb replacement. I guess it depends on if you intended to do the protection regardless of bulb. Because replacement bulbs are about $173 for the Samsung (not sure on Mitsu -- but I imagine comparable) and if the plan costs more than a bulb then it wouldn't be worth it. But if you plan to buy a protection plan regardless then you can count the bulb replacement as a plus.

You can get a 50" Panasonic Plasma for under $2k. But if you want bigger and need to stay under $2k then you will likely want to looks at DLPs.

gimmepilotwings 05-25-07 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I can close blinds/curtains to limit light, but a front projector always seems like you need it near black....plus, it just won't work in my room.

Any 55"+ Plasma that are affordable and decent? What about the 1080p Sony SXRD TV's?

Also, how often would someone replace a bulb in a DLP?

Well, I just went from a 62" Mitsu DLP to the 60" Sony SXRD (KDS-60A2020) and I love it so far. My lamp in the Mitsu went out at 3800 hours. People are saying that they are getting 8000+ hours out of their SXRD lamps.

Actually, I have heard that the Sony CS is outstanding.

DJ_Longfellow 05-26-07 08:54 PM

I may look at the Sony a little more closely...although, I may wait until XMAS time to see what is out there (that is usually bonus time at work...I hope, at least). That would be the ideal time, but I always want things now....we'll see if I can wait 6 months.

Is it relatively easy to change a DLP bulb? Is it like changing a light bulb?

Nefarious 05-26-07 10:00 PM

Is it relatively easy to change a DLP bulb? Is it like changing a light bulb?

A few more steps but no more complicated. Download any Samsung manual and they have instructions you can see along w/ images. Basically unscrew a plastic panel and slide out a tray, pop out the old bulb, pop in the new and voila!

Make sure you wear cotton gloves or something similar to keep fingerprints off the bulb. It can make it burn out faster from the oil on your skin otherwise.

cultshock 05-27-07 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Well, I just went from a 62" Mitsu DLP to the 60" Sony SXRD (KDS-60A2020) and I love it so far. My lamp in the Mitsu went out at 3800 hours. People are saying that they are getting 8000+ hours out of their SXRD lamps.

Actually, I have heard that the Sony CS is outstanding.

Good choice, (I have the 60A2000). :up: 8000 hours is the rated life on those bulbs, so I hope mine can last that long. I haven't had to contact them for anything (knock on wood!) but I've also heard that Sony is pretty good to deal with in case of problems (I've heard worse things about other companies)

DJ_Longfellow 05-27-07 11:01 AM

One more question....any have any opinions in the JVC ILA TV's? I would normally stay away from JVC, but they seem decent.

Spiky 05-27-07 09:17 PM

JVC makes excellent TVs. Over the last 10 years, they've had more consistent quality than Sony, although I'd probably rate Sony higher right now. Being a sister company to Panasonic may have something to do with this.

And for LCOS, they and Sony are often the only 2 choices.

Nefarious 05-27-07 09:45 PM

Seems like I just read on Bruzzi's site that Panasonic owns just over 51% of JVC.

DJ_Longfellow 05-29-07 11:22 AM

Thanks for the JVC info....now, does anyone actually own one? How is LCOS compared to DLP? Apparently DLP will die on me, how long will an LCOS last?

cultshock 05-29-07 05:18 PM

LCoS is very good IMO. For me, it was better than DLP because there is no possibility of headaches, "rainbows" or eyestrain like there could be with DLP, so that's what sold me on it. I chose the Sony SXRD, but when shopping around I checked out (and researched) the JVC ones too. They seemed to be very good sets, but for me the Sony edged them out a bit, so I went that way. Not sure what you mean by DLP's "dying" on you, but both of these technologies involve bulbs that burn out, so you have to consider that.

Spiky 05-29-07 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Seems like I just read on Bruzzi's site that Panasonic owns just over 51% of JVC.

Matsushita is the parent company of both. JVC is the newbie of the 2, I think it's been part of MEI for 50 years.

DJ_Longfellow 05-30-07 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
LCoS is very good IMO. For me, it was better than DLP because there is no possibility of headaches, "rainbows" or eyestrain like there could be with DLP, so that's what sold me on it. I chose the Sony SXRD, but when shopping around I checked out (and researched) the JVC ones too. They seemed to be very good sets, but for me the Sony edged them out a bit, so I went that way. Not sure what you mean by DLP's "dying" on you, but both of these technologies involve bulbs that burn out, so you have to consider that.

Thanks...how long does a LCoS bulb vs a DLP bulb last? Just curious.

Also, anyone know if prices will fall much more soon? When is the ideal time to buy televisions? I may wait until XMAS time, but knowing me, I want one sooner than later.

LCD and Plasma still are too pricey for the size I am looking for.

Josh H 05-30-07 10:24 AM

Not necessarily prices falling, but Black Friday always has the best deals of the year on HD sets.

DJ_Longfellow 05-30-07 11:48 AM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Black Friday....although, do we see namebrand TV's on sale? It usually seems like Westinghouse or Vizio or something to that matter....although, we'll see this year.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep my looking.

gimmepilotwings 05-30-07 12:23 PM

There are two good times to buy TV's The end of January/early Feb. for Super Bowl Parties, as well as new models are being shown at CES in Vegas, bringing down the previous year's models. (Sort of like buying a new car in August or Sept. for the same reason)

Black Friday is pretty good too, but you usually see off brands on sale, like the Vizio or Apex.

DJ_Longfellow 05-30-07 12:55 PM

Well, I could wait until January/February also....good points. That would be "ideal", but that is a long time ;)

So, any answer to my LCoS vs DLP bulb life question?

RichC2 05-30-07 01:15 PM

I personally perfer the image on DLP sets compared to LCoS. But I know many people have different feelings on the subject (I also disagree with the 1080p argument on 50" sets, though I was sitting pretty close to the TV.) That and the best seem to be from Sony, who I refuse to purchase from again thanks to some truly horrible CS experiences (with cameras and a smaller TV).

I need to pick up a new set, and prices seem to continually be dropping (Buddy bought a 56" 1080p DLP for $1499 which isn't half bad).

Josh H 05-30-07 01:46 PM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Black Friday....although, do we see namebrand TV's on sale? It usually seems like Westinghouse or Vizio or something to that matter....although, we'll see this year.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep my looking.

Name brand ones are on sale too, just not the mind-blowing doorbusters in general.

For instance, Circuit City had a 42" Samsung DLP for $799 that usually goes for $1100-1200. Several other sets were marked down as well, just not as much as the off brand crap.

RichC2 05-30-07 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H
Name brand ones are on sale too, just not the mind-blowing doorbusters in general.

For instance, Circuit City had a 42" Samsung DLP for $799 that usually goes for $1100-1200. Several other sets were marked down as well, just not as much as the off brand crap.

Seems like that set is always on sale http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail~dp...~557.0000.aspx (w/ Shipping Rebate ends 5/31)

Josh H 05-30-07 02:39 PM

Wow, that's a damn tempting deal...but I really want a 50" set so I'll continue holding off.

RichC2 05-30-07 02:51 PM

Isn't that great of a set anyhow, black grass effect ftl :P still, for the price, you can't beat it.

Spiky 05-30-07 05:23 PM

Well, I could wait until January/February also....good points. That would be "ideal", but that is a long time ;)

Got Costco? Black Friday deals really had to struggle just to match Costco's every-month coupons last year. This month there was a 32" LCD for $400.

Lamp life is dependent on the model and the mfgr, not the technology it shines through. RPTVs have smaller lamps (I mean less wattage) than FP models, so they tend to last longer and be cheaper. But then, people turn their RPTV on/off like it's a tube TV, which shortens the lamp life faster than simply racking up the hours. The key is to not flick it on and off all day like you would with a tube or flat panel. If you are watching TV and stop for dinner but are going back to the TV, just leave it on. The extra hour will be less hazardous than restriking the lamp to turn it on again.

cultshock 05-30-07 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
But then, people turn their RPTV on/off like it's a tube TV, which shortens the lamp life faster than simply racking up the hours. The key is to not flick it on and off all day like you would with a tube or flat panel. If you are watching TV and stop for dinner but are going back to the TV, just leave it on. The extra hour will be less hazardous than restriking the lamp to turn it on again.

Good point, the stress on the bulb from turning it off and back on again could shorten it's life more than leaving it on for an hour or so while you have dinner, go to the store, etc. I'm always careful about that. It's a whole different way of thinking, compared to CRT sets, but you get used to it. :)

As mentioned, it depends on the make/model. My set has a bulb that is rated at 8000 hours. If it actually lasts that long, I won't complain, the amount of time that my set is on means the bulb could last up to 4 years. Hell, by then I'll probably want to buy some new fancy TV anyway. :lol: