DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Connecting PC to Samsung HDTV?

Old 04-24-07, 03:34 PM

Connecting PC to Samsung HDTV?

I just bought a Samsung HLS 5687W (1080p) and I am curious how I connect my PC to it.

Primarily I am interested in watching online movies from Netflix with it.

It mentions a d-sub cable. It looks to me like that is a basic type of cable that is used to connect LCD monitors to a PC. Is that correct?

Also, the manual has a bunch of set up pages on how to configure the display. It seemed a bit confusing to me.

Can anyone provide some direction on the best (and easiest) way to connect the PC to the TV?

Also, what resolutions on the PC will best suit HD TV?

Thanks
Old 04-24-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what outputs do you have on your video card?

you should have a dvi connection on both your video card and your tv. dvi will pass video but no audio.
Old 04-24-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

D-sub generally means VGA, the standard HD-15 connector that's been used for the last couple decades or so for all types of computer monitors. DVI may be your current desired choice, though, digital offers some benefits. You ought to have at least DVI (or HDMI that DVI can easily use) on the TV, the VGA/Dsub may also be available. And the video card will have at least VGA, the DVI might be available. You'll just have to check.

And the best resolution will be native. 1920x1080 in this case.
Old 04-25-07, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what kind of outputs are on the video card. I will need to check. Right now I am using a work PC to test this all out before I consider buying a new PC for myself. So, if I do consider buying a PC, I should make sure the video card has either DVI or HDMI outputs. Got it.

I was able to get everything working with the d-sub with the exception of watching DVDs. Everything is fine for surfing the net, etc. When I play a DVD, the DVD software shows fine (PowerDVD) with the controls, etc. But the image of the DVD does not appear on the tv. It is just a big black empty space. I have tried playing with the resolution on the PC, but no luck. I even tried playing the DVD through Windows Media Player and I experienced the same problem (all controls appear and everything shows fine on the TV except for the actual video for the DVD). Oh yeah, sound comes through fine as well.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Webber; 04-25-07 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-25-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's weird, but it sounds familiar, although I can't put my finger on why. Did you try a couple DVDs? Tweak settings in PowerDVD?

If you buy a new PC, I would be surprised if it didn't have DVI. But check, anyway. It won't have HDMI.
Old 04-27-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the owners manual for my Samsung S5053 plasma it states that you cannot hook a PC up to the TV using an HDMI input, only the VGA. I'm not sure why, but you might want to check your manual as well if you're considering going DVI out to HDMI in.
Old 04-27-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
In the owners manual for my Samsung S5053 plasma it states that you cannot hook a PC up to the TV using an HDMI input, only the VGA. I'm not sure why, but you might want to check your manual as well if you're considering going DVI out to HDMI in.
its due to HDCP (copy protection) being enforced on the TV via the HDMI connection.
Old 04-30-07, 09:10 AM

My issue was that the video card couldn't support both the laptop and TV at the same time when the DVD was playing. Once I turned off the laptop screen and simply fed the video to the TV everything was fine.
Old 04-30-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like your display settings are "cloning" the image. When I do this, I find that the video will only play on the "primary" display. You might want to poke around the display settings for that sort of stuff. Maybe even look into "extending" the desktop to the HDTV instead of cloning so that you can have a dual-head set up.