DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center channel or reciever or HD ...

Old 04-22-07, 10:41 PM

Center channel or reciever or HD ...

Ok, so I have a gift card with a little more than $400 on it from Best Buy from my parents who bought an open item TV. I posted in HD-Talk to see if maybe it is time to try to upgrade to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. You can read that post in all its glory here if interested, but the short of it is Thor's post has more or less convinced me to wait out HD discs and upgrade my sound first. Right now I have a Onkyo all-in-one setup, the HT-R320. Its decent for the room i have, which is not very large. But I do think maybe it is time to step up the surround sound. I have always been told center channel is the most important speaker if you can't get everything at once (which I can't). But should I upgrade the center channel before the reciever or reciever then speaker? And I've been looking at the H/K AVR247 (link) is this a good reciever to upgrade to? And what about center channel speakers... I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any insight you may have!
Old 04-22-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand your budget. You want to add to your $400 or keep in within that budget? You want speakers and receiver? Only speakers? What? Do you have a sub?

Most feel the Onkyo is a decent receiver. Depending on model a good one.
H/K = good...very good imho

Why are you talking only about your CC? What other speakers do you have? While the speaker police won't come, it is generally prefered that all speakers match in tone. And if you can't match all, at least the fronts and CC.

If you do a search here you will find the "usual" suspects of recommendations for speakers,

KEF, Celestion, Paradigm, NHT, Boston, Klipsch and a few others.
Old 04-22-07, 11:54 PM

Well I want to eventually upgrade all my speakers and reciever, but I can't afford it all at once. I have the $400 gift card and I could obviously spend more if needed, but in the near future probably only $200-300 more. I know that won't get me all new speakers. So I thought maybe I could spend 400-500 on a reciever now or get a new CC (I assume a good CC is not going to run that high.

If I'm only upgrading one at the moment which should I do first, CC or reciever?
Old 04-23-07, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

keep what you have, get HD
Old 04-23-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You could buy a center channel speaker for $50 from Radio Shack which would do you just fine. Because all a center channel does is output the mid-range such as voices so you don't need anything too powerful, especially since you're buying a $400 receiver anyway. Of course, if it was a Denon AVR-5805CI or something, I'd say get a more powerful center channel, but since your receiver is not going to be putting out that much in the center channel, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Thor. Don't worry about HD or Blu-Ray at this point.
Old 04-23-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Assuming your have speakers now in your HTIB, I would not buy new speakers unless you could buy the set. Buy at BB limits you as I don't know what all they carry, but I doubt you will have much real selection. Maybe in their dedicated HT stores though.

And in total respect to DVD Polizei, I'd say the H/K will throw out enough power for any reasonable speakers you may get. Don't let the watts fool you, it is a powerful unit. And IMHO, you would being doing a dis-service to the H/K by going cheap on speakers. Do you need audio to be processed by HDMI? If not, you might look at the H/K AVR-147 about $100 less.

Check out this link for some options,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=495905

Also, SVS famous for their subs has a nice 5.1 speaker system for a grand that gets good reviews. And AVR123 get well reviewed. And someone else had a 5.1 speaker set up for fairly cheap like people seemed to like for the money, but I can't remember who.
Old 04-23-07, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You could buy a center channel speaker for $50 from Radio Shack which would do you just fine. Because all a center channel does is output the mid-range such as voices so you don't need anything too powerful, especially since you're buying a $400 receiver anyway.
That is not something I would consider myself. The reason being, while the center channel is critical and you certainly don't need "power" in it, you want to make sure your center speaker matches your front speakers so you have a consistent sound stage across the front speakers. Do you want a plane to fly across the screen, and you hear a plane in the left speaker, a lawn mower in your center, and a plane again in the right? If you're planning to upgrade all of your speakers, maybe make your decision (even if you'll be buying in pieces), then buy the center that will match the fronts you'll be buying eventually.

Onkyo tends to be a pretty good receiver, even the ones that come with HTIB, so my first thought would be to keep your receiver for now and upgrade the speakers first. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of any of the speaker brands that Best Buy carries, so that kind of limits you. (IMHO) So maybe I'd consider upgrading receiver first - Yamaha or HK - then upgrade speakers later as you can afford to. (and preferably somewhere besides BB IMHO)

As much as I'd love to get a High Def DVD player, I tend to agree with waiting to see what happens with the technologies, unless you have the money to spare (which it doesn't sound like you do). Although if you're into gaming, you could argue for going with the PS3.

When I started putting my HT together, I had a 25" TV with a 2 channel rack system. So I had all kinds of choices to make. You're a step ahead of where I was since you at least have surround sound. The order of my purchases was:
1. 5.1 receiver (with existing floor-standing fronts)
2. center channel
3. sub
4. fronts (moving old fronts to rear)
5. surrounds
6. HDTV

What are your listening habits? HT vs music? If you listen to a lot of music, maybe even upgrade your fronts first so you get a lot of use out of them (moving the old fronts to the rear, which are probably better than your current surrounds), then get the matching center channel later? I love my Paradigm speakers, but they aren't available at Best Buy. I loved them so much that I budgeted pieces at a time so I could get what I really wanted. It was painful to wait, but worth it in the long run! My particular models were quite a bit over your budget (my center alone was almost $400), but they have some great sounding options for much cheaper. Give them a listen at a dealer if you have one close.

I can't say I helped much because I was all over the board, but you certainly have a lot of options...
Old 04-23-07, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
And someone else had a 5.1 speaker set up for fairly cheap like people seemed to like for the money, but I can't remember who.
I have the Paradigm Monitor series in my HT, but have Yambeka Audio in the living room. I have been very happy with them considering I paid about $160 shipped for a 5 speaker set. Read a thread on these speakers here: Satellite Guys Yambeka thread.
Old 04-23-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could buy a center channel speaker for $50 from Radio Shack which would do you just fine. Because all a center channel does is output the mid-range such as voices so you don't need anything too powerful, especially since you're buying a $400 receiver anyway.
I couldn't disagree more.

First, speakers aren't "powerful." They have power-handling limitations, but they themselves aren't powerful. But regardless, that is no reflection on how well they reproduce sound. A center channel does more than reproduce dialog; it also handles sound effects and music.

A $50 radio Shack speaker, for example, likely has cheap paper cones and a poor tweeter, so forget anything resembling high frequencies.

An excellent and reasonably-priced center channel speaker is the Paradigm CC-190, which sells for about $250. Of course, as shelland wrote, you want your speakers to be matched sonically, so consider what you will eventually get for your mains as well.
Old 04-23-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been quite involved in audio for many years. I've DJ'd since the early 90's (although gave it up in the late 90's), and I've come across cheap-O speakers ad nauseum in clubs which did just as well as the expensive ones. We could argue acustics here as a club doesn't necessarily have the frequency response as a home theater would/should but most people don't even hear above 18Khz anyway. Suffice it to say, I've played through a lot of speakers and rarely found some which impressed me. Of course, I have a pair of those in my living room and I will not sell them--makes moving a bitch though.

No way in hell I'm spending $250 on a center channel speaker when my $400 reciever is more than likely not even capable of exploiting it (H/K AVR247 is 85W PEAK x 7 channels--which means ladies and gentleman, you probably won't get that when you crank the volume up to it's highest because you'll get severe distortion). Personally, I have a Denon AVR-5700, and I could justify a $250 CCh speaker possibly, but if I'm spending $400 on a receiver, that's a little much. At least you didn't recommend Bose.

True, you do want to match your speakers sonically which is why a $400 receiver rated at 85W Per Channel, is not going to exploit a $250 CCh speaker appropriately. In this case your recommendation of the Paradigms would be overkill for the receiver mentioned. But of course, if the OP will be upgrading receivers in the near future, then ok.

My suggestion would be to look at Cambridge SoundWorks MC100 CCh speakers for starters ($80 each, 100HZ - 20KHZ, 10-100W, INJECTION MOLDED COPOLYMER CONE). And they go all the way up to $400 and more if you need to brag or are deaf.

The CC190 isn't bad, and on paper it looks a tad better (90db vs.86db but could you tell the difference?), but it's up to the OP. If he does go with Mr. Salty's recommendation, then I would oblige that center speaker with a pair of Cinema 220's at $200 each.

Unfortunately in this case, I disagree with Mr. Salty to some degree.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-23-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you have a relatively small room, which i do, i do not think you need anything better than what you already have. Your Onkyo receiver is perfect for a small/mid-sized room good. I've been using the same Kenwood speakers which I got in a HTiB since 2000 along with a Pioneer VSX D812 receiver and am perfectly happy. If youre not completely satisfied with your current setup, get some new front (left, right, center) speakers and use them with your current receiver.
Suggestions-
Fronts
Center

Last edited by JZ1276; 04-23-07 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been quite involved in audio for many years. I've DJ'd since the early 90's (although gave it up in the late 90's), and I've come across cheap-O speakers ad nauseum in clubs which did just as well as the expensive ones. We could argue acustics here as a club doesn't necessarily have the frequency response as a home theater would/should but most people don't even hear above 18Khz anyway. Suffice it to say, I've played through a lot of speakers and rarely found some which impressed me. Of course, I have a pair of those in my living room and I will not sell them--makes moving a bitch though.
You can't compare the listening environment of a club to what you'd want to hear in a home theater. A club is geared toward volume and shitloads of bass, not audio quality.

No way in hell I'm spending $250 on a center channel speaker when my $400 reciever is more than likely not even capable of exploiting it (H/K AVR247 is 85W PEAK x 7 channels--which means ladies and gentleman, you probably won't get that when you crank the volume up to it's highest because you'll get severe distortion).
You've got to be kidding me. Do you know anything about H/K? An H/K receiver most certainly is high enough quality to warrant a good-quality speaker. You seem to be hung up on the notion of cranking things to ear-bleed levels, which most people simply don't do at home.

I have a similarly-powered Onkyo receiver that provides more than enough punch for well-designed speakers. I like listening to music and movies at reasonably high volume levels and I've never come close to overdriving the receiver.

My suggestion would be to look at Cambridge SoundWorks MC100 CCh speakers for starters ($80 each, 100HZ - 20KHZ, 10-100W, INJECTION MOLDED COPOLYMER CONE). And they go all the way up to $400 and more if you need to brag or are deaf.
Cambridge makes some good stuff and is worth considering. I'd also recommend Athena as a low-cost alternative (available from Best Buy).

But as to your comment "if you need to brag or are deaf," again, you seem to be hung up on volume. Sound quality has nothing to do with volume.

A cheap, poorly designed center channel speaker will sound little better than a clock radio.

The CC190 isn't bad, and on paper it looks a tad better (90db vs.86db but could you tell the difference?), but it's up to the OP.
Don't evaluate how speakers look on paper. Go listen to them against each other. That's the only way you'll know what sounds good to you.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-24-07 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No way in hell I'm spending $250 on a center channel speaker when my $400 reciever is more than likely not even capable of exploiting it (H/K AVR247 is 85W PEAK x 7 channels--which means ladies and gentleman, you probably won't get that when you crank the volume up to it's highest because you'll get severe distortion). Personally, I have a Denon AVR-5700, and I could justify a $250 CCh speaker possibly, but if I'm spending $400 on a receiver, that's a little much. At least you didn't recommend Bose.
The H/K is more then adequate to handle very nice speakers. Even a $250 CC. Don't confuse H/K's watts with that of other companies. Heck even their $3,500 AVR 745 puts out "only" 85 watts per channel.

I currently have 2 H/K's. One in my large living room (15 X 40 w/10' ceilings) and one in my theater room (12 X 15 w8' ceilings). They are more then powerful enough. My living room one is 40 watts a channel while my theater room one is 45 watts per channel.

Besides cost is pretty meaningless. I have listened to $250 CC's that I really didn't like. I have listened to some I really liked. Speakers regardless of cost sound different from each other. So the important thing is to listen.
Old 04-23-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been quite involved in audio for many years. ....

No way in hell I'm spending $250 on a center channel speaker when my $400 reciever is more than likely not even capable of exploiting it (H/K AVR247 is 85W PEAK x 7 channels--which means ladies and gentleman, you probably won't get that when you crank the volume up to it's highest because you'll get severe distortion). .....

The CC190 isn't bad, and on paper it looks a tad better (90db vs.86db but could you tell the difference?), ....

Seriously, are you for real? You clearly don't understand the technical details of audio, regardless of how many discs you've turned. I'm not sure how being a DJ qualifies you to be an expert on speakers, my DJing career didn't teach me a damn thing except that people who drink ought to not be allowed in public.

1. What are you comparing the HK 85 watts to? An Onkyo 100 wpc $400 receiver? The HK is ~2.5 times more powerful. Course, you can't get an 85 wpc HK for $400.

2. 90db/86db is a reference to the speaker sensitivity, I presume. Neither is better than the other, that is essentially a measure of loudness, that's all. And YES, a 4db difference should be easily noticeable, esp to the amp, which will have to work more than twice as hard to get the same volume out of the speaker rated 86db.

3. Judging speakers by their price tag is a strange way to claim a point.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-23-07 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 01:49 PM

You can't possibly be serious. If you are, please, for everyone's sake, stop trying to "help" people. Please OP and anyone else who reads this, do not listen to this huge load of crap.

True, you do want to match your speakers sonically which is why a $400 receiver rated at 85W Per Channel, is not going to exploit a $250 CCh speaker appropriately. In this case your recommendation of the Paradigms would be overkill for the receiver mentioned. But of course, if the OP will be upgrading receivers in the near future, then ok.

The CC190 isn't bad, and on paper it looks a tad better (90db vs.86db but could you tell the difference?), but it's up to the OP. If he does go with Mr. Salty's recommendation, then I would oblige that center speaker with a pair of Cinema 220's at $200 each.

Old 04-24-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arsmith7
......... But I do think maybe it is time to step up the surround sound. I have always been told center channel is the most important speaker if you can't get everything at once (which I can't). But should I upgrade the center channel before the reciever or reciever then speaker? And I've been looking at the H/K AVR247 (link) is this a good reciever to upgrade to? And what about center channel speakers... I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any insight you may have!
I'll side step the fury in the thread and give you these pieces of advice.

Yes the center channel is the most important speaker in a surround sound system. It handles most of the dialog.

If you can't get everything at once (and many people can't) perhaps you should start to save for what you want instead of buying pieces that may or may not work together when you get everything.

Yes the HK is a good receiver, BUT I always advise buying speakers first. Why? Too often people fall in love with a box with lots of buttons and lights and buy it. Then they get some speakers and discover that the flashy receiver they bought can't drive them properly.

Finally you could add a new/better center to your current system but if I were you I would not do it. Why? The tonality of the speakers will be off and you would not be getting the full potential from the center. Even if the dialog were better the rest of the sound would be sub standard.

Keep saving, and go to stores and begin to listen.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-07, 05:53 PM

No way in hell I'm spending $250 on a center channel speaker when my $400 reciever is more than likely not even capable of exploiting it
Well crap - I wish someone would have told me that about 5 years ago. I've got an apparently crappy $400 Onkyo TX-SR604B running speakers that I now realize I spent way too much on. Anyone interested in my Paradigm Monitor 7s ($700/pr), cc370 ($329), adp370s ($599) and ps1000 ($400) so I can buy something cheaper? What is the recommended ratio so I can spend the right amount for my receiver?

Or would I be better off buying a $2,000 receiver for my existing speakers?

Old 04-24-07, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If you can't get everything at once (and many people can't) perhaps you should start to save for what you want instead of buying pieces that may or may not work together when you get everything.

Yes the HK is a good receiver, BUT I always advise buying speakers first. Why? Too often people fall in love with a box with lots of buttons and lights and buy it. Then they get some speakers and discover that the flashy receiver they bought can't drive them properly.

Finally you could add a new/better center to your current system but if I were you I would not do it. Why? The tonality of the speakers will be off and you would not be getting the full potential from the center. Even if the dialog were better the rest of the sound would be sub standard.

Keep saving, and go to stores and begin to listen.

Good luck!
I can't say I disagree one bit. You're not differing much with my rant above. The problem is that he's looking to apply a $400 Best Buy gift card. What speakers do you recommend buying at BB?

That's the primary reason I said he might want to go with the receiver first, since he already has that money to spend, and I'd be more likely to recommend some of their receivers than their speakers.

While going HD-DVD/Blueray would definitely not be my first choice, simply because of the uncertainty of their future, the fact that he has the money in hand might move that up my priority list. If I had a $400 BB gift card burning a hole in my pocket with his existing equipment, I might take the plunge with HD-DVD. That would take basically nothing out of pocket - and I'm not sure if the deal has ended, but Toshiba had a special giving either 4 or 5 free movies with purchase.
Old 04-24-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shelland
I can't say I disagree one bit. You're not differing much with my rant above. The problem is that he's looking to apply a $400 Best Buy gift card. What speakers do you recommend buying at BB?

That's the primary reason I said he might want to go with the receiver first, since he already has that money to spend, and I'd be more likely to recommend some of their receivers than their speakers.

While going HD-DVD/Blueray would definitely not be my first choice, simply because of the uncertainty of their future, the fact that he has the money in hand might move that up my priority list. If I had a $400 BB gift card burning a hole in my pocket with his existing equipment, I might take the plunge with HD-DVD. That would take basically nothing out of pocket - and I'm not sure if the deal has ended, but Toshiba had a special giving either 4 or 5 free movies with purchase.
Honestly? Unless there is a Magnolia as part of the Best Buy there I would not get anything from their regular store. Find someone to take the gift card for cash.
Old 04-24-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Honestly? Unless there is a Magnolia as part of the Best Buy there I would not get anything from their regular store. Find someone to take the gift card for cash.
I'll go back to my recommendation of Athena speakers if he's stuck with Best Buy. I don't know if they keep them in the store any more, but they're available online. Is it possible to use gift cards online?

But then you have the problem of not being able to listen to the speakers before you buy. So, yeah, finding a Best Buy with a Magnolia would be best.
Old 04-24-07, 07:13 PM

There is a BBY w/ Magnolia about an hour away. I might make the hike this weekend unless I've talked myself out of buying everything.
Old 04-24-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by shelland
Well crap - I wish someone would have told me that about 5 years ago. I've got an apparently crappy $400 Onkyo TX-SR604B running speakers that I now realize I spent way too much on. Anyone interested in my Paradigm Monitor 7s ($700/pr), cc370 ($329), adp370s ($599) and ps1000 ($400) so I can buy something cheaper? What is the recommended ratio so I can spend the right amount for my receiver?

Or would I be better off buying a $2,000 receiver for my existing speakers?

Whatever floats your boat, sweety.

90W into all 7 channels and yet you have speakers which appear to accept twice that amount (given the Paradigm 7 specs anyway). But hey, it's your money. I just recommended the OP check the specs of his receiver, which I guess, is not the favorable thing to do? A receiver rated at 90W max rarely outputs that amount, and if it was at max volume, it would probably sound distorted because the amps aren't rated to be blasted at full volume.
Old 04-24-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Spiky
Seriously, are you for real? You clearly don't understand the technical details of audio, regardless of how many discs you've turned. I'm not sure how being a DJ qualifies you to be an expert on speakers, my DJing career didn't teach me a damn thing except that people who drink ought to not be allowed in public.

1. What are you comparing the HK 85 watts to? An Onkyo 100 wpc $400 receiver? The HK is ~2.5 times more powerful. Course, you can't get an 85 wpc HK for $400.

2. 90db/86db is a reference to the speaker sensitivity, I presume. Neither is better than the other, that is essentially a measure of loudness, that's all. And YES, a 4db difference should be easily noticeable, esp to the amp, which will have to work more than twice as hard to get the same volume out of the speaker rated 86db.

3. Judging speakers by their price tag is a strange way to claim a point.
There are many different setups which are used--not just a "bassy dancefloor". Your particular DJ career didn't teach you anything about acoustics, and that's fine.

1. Not sure what you're saying. I simply stated the wattage should be appropriately matched to the reciever and speakers. Or are we matching dollar figures like I was just accused of doing.

2. No kidding. I was assuming you and others took into account the damn sensitivity ratings. If a sensitivity rating is higher, you won't need as much wattage to power the speaker. So, am I wrong. Feel free to talk the professionals around here and tell me I'm wrong.

3. I wasn't judging speakers by their price point. I was offering speakers at the OP's price point. Duh. I thought that was the original intent of the post. If you re-read what I posted, you'll understand I was NOT comparing speakers by price although it may have appeared to be because I was simply stating the price of the speaker--such as "that $250 speaker" versus "that Paradigm CC-190". So please, don't get caught up on price. Obviously some of you actually are caught up on price it appears. If you want me to only refer to the products by their model name, then fine.
Old 04-24-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever floats your boat, sweety.

90W into all 7 channels and yet you have speakers which appear to accept twice that amount (given the Paradigm 7 specs anyway). But hey, it's your money. I just recommended the OP check the specs of his receiver, which I guess, is not the favorable thing to do? A receiver rated at 90W max rarely outputs that amount, and if it was at max volume, it would probably sound distorted because the amps aren't rated to be blasted at full volume.
The Paridgm recommends for the Monitor 7's (if that is what we are talking about) an amp between 15 watts and 180 watts. Or are are saying Paridgm is wrong?

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...1-2-4.paradigm

There is no need to "match" watts for speakers/amps. It is more about quality then quantity. And as mentioned you cannot simply go by the ratings on the receiver. My 40 watt H/K is significantly more powerful then the 85 watt per channel Sony it replaced. And per Paradigm would be just fine for their speakers.
Old 04-24-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A receiver rated at 90W max rarely outputs that amount, and if it was at max volume, it would probably sound distorted because the amps aren't rated to be blasted at full volume.
Honestly, who in the hell drives their receivers to their maximum in a home theater environment? Do you have a 500-seat auditorium in your basement?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.