Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Helios vs. Oppo? Anyone done any research?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-20-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Just curious if anyone owns a Helious X3000 or X5000. I was also curious if anyone has any links or first-hand knowledge of pros and cons versus the Oppo brand.
Old 04-24-07, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oppo vs. Helios

The Helios x-line has network functionality which doesn't make it directly comparable to the Oppo 970 and 981 which don't have it. The Helios network software is first generation, and has some bugs in it. We recommend these players to people who need a networkable player and have the patience to set everything up and deal with a few quirks. As for playing DVDs, the Oppo 981 is probably the best value of any HD upconverting player. It has the same Faroudja chipset used in the Denon 2930, which costs three or four times more. Unlike other players in its price range, it has a full 1-year warranty. The Oppo tech support staff is the best we've ever encountered. The reliability of Oppo product is better than any major brand we sell. The Oppo 970 doesn't use the Faroudja chip, and we recommend this player for people who have smaller TVs, or have regular definition TVs. The Helios players will upconvert over component to HD, which the Oppos do not allow. For this reason, they are an option for people who have analogue HDTVs. If you have any other questions, feel free to email us at: support(at)hkflix.com

Regards,
Jason
HKFLIX.com

Last edited by HKFLIXdotcom; 04-25-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Thanks for the response, Jason. I've been looking into networked capabilities and you've mentioned a feature I'm looking for which is the component option.

I'll be buying from your company once I decide on a few other things. Thanks for the info

P.S. Not sure if you've followed my posts, but I've decided on the Panasonic TH-50PH9Uk (which is why I would like the component outputs on an upconverting DVD player initially).

- DVD P
Old 04-25-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Oppo 970HD can upconvert over component (with a hack) and are the recommended unit for DLPs, not just SD tvs. This is because the Faroudja chipset has some issues with macroblocking. An email to the folks at oppodigital.com will answer any more questiong you may have.
Old 04-29-07, 07:53 PM
omi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 970HD and love its ability to play Xvid and Divx movies.