DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Is there a bluetooth capable universal remote yet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/498142-there-bluetooth-capable-universal-remote-yet.html)

kvrdave 04-16-07 05:52 PM

Is there a bluetooth capable universal remote yet?

Still haven't bought one, but now have a PS3 to add to my remote control woes. But, naturally, the PS3 is bluetooth so that it is a pain in the ass.

Anyone know of one, or is there some other thing PS3 owners are doing?

Sdallnct 04-16-07 06:18 PM

No, no universal remote. I'm waiting patiently as well.

There is a sort of work around. If you do a google you should find information on how to use some of the old PS2 remote doggle or something. However, this only allows control of the movie, once the PS3 is powered up. The PS2 hardware work around will not power up or down your PS3 as far as I can tell.

kvrdave 04-16-07 06:56 PM

Okay, given that, and about $50 in Amazon GCs, I saw the Harmony 880 refurbished for $99 and picked it up. If I am able to get down to 2 remotes, I will have done well.

Sdallnct 04-16-07 07:19 PM

I have the 880. I LOVE IT! Other then my recent PS3 purchase it is the only item I paid full price for, but it is worth every penny! Awesome, awesome remote.

And I do have PS3 activity set up on it. It does the following,

Turns on my receiver and to the proper input
Turns on my projector and turn it to HDMI
Sets my monoprice 5 X 1 HDMI switcher to input 5 for the PS3
Turns down the lights in the room to my normal low watching level

But of course it cannot do anything with the PS3 :(

I've gotten kind of use to using the control for movie watching. I have not picked up the PS3 DVD remote. But might.

They had some quality issues for a while with the batter and cradle. So I'm sure that is why it is refurbished. Mine the battery would not sit tight. I about sent back but decided to just put in a very small folded piece of paper to act as a shim to make the battery sit tight. Works perfect. Also, it would not sit in the cradle properly to charge. I like the remote so called Harmony and they overnight-ed me a new cradle under warranty and it works perfect. Since then no problems at all.

kvrdave 04-17-07 10:34 AM

Good to hear. I plan on picking up a new receiver in the next few weeks, so I will probably hold off on setting it up until I have that in place.

Spiky 04-17-07 07:05 PM

RF universal remotes have never been able to control RF-capable devices. Now, BT is universal in itself so that could very well be different. But I wouldn't expect too much unless other devices begin using BT internally. One video game machine won't make the remote industry take notice.

Sdallnct 04-17-07 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
RF universal remotes have never been able to control RF-capable devices. Now, BT is universal in itself so that could very well be different. But I wouldn't expect too much unless other devices begin using BT internally. One video game machine won't make the remote industry take notice.

Actually, I think it will on a small scale. I would expect to see someone come out with a remote that is both IR and bluetooth. Or perhaps a USB doggle of some sort to control the PS3 with a IR remote.

Yea, it would be a specialty item, but if I remember, Harmony has a 360 remote for the Xbox. While it will control a number of things, its market is the Xbox crowd.

The thing with game machine owners is the built in market. Most companies would assume that anyone that purchases a game machine has money to spend, so there should be a maker to step up and try to take advantage of that.

Sdallnct 04-17-07 08:38 PM

Here is how to use the older PS2 hardware to get IR on your PS3. If I can pick up one cheap on ebay, might do it.

http://www.remotecentral.com/articles/ps3-ir-remote.htm