DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Clean slate - tell me what HDTV to buy.

Old 04-15-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clean slate - tell me what HDTV to buy.

I'm in the market for an HDTV. I just moved into a sweet new apartment and will be purchasing it as much for decoration and guest entertainment as for personal use. I may watch one or two movies a week and maybe 4-5 hours of HDTV programming. The rest of my tv viewing will probably be done on my current 27" tube tvs in either the bedroom or the office - usually just leaving them on for background noise. I'll keep my tivo in the bedroom on the old tv.

One of the problems I have with HDTV in general is that I can always see artifacting. I realize that is probably the fault of the cable companies and not the tvs, but if there is anything I could do to minimize that, I'd be thrilled. Also, I'd like my SD picture quality to be as good as possible.

I've been primarily considering the a 42" or 50" Panasonic plasma. I'm open to just about anything, however, and have been intrigued by the Sony LCD projection sets - it seems like it'd be hard to go wrong with a KDF-46E2000 for just under $1000.

Based on all that, what models/technologies should I be looking at?
Old 04-15-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, I have no interest in buying the bottom of the line or an entry-level unit. I also don't necessarily need the top of the line - I want to the unit with the best price/performance ratio.
Old 04-15-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys can do a search here we have talked many a time about HD recommendations.

However, the Panasonic plasma is probably the most recommened tv around these parts (and most other site). Just very hard to go wrong at that pq vs. price point.
Old 04-15-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would go the opposite way with LCD (one specific set in particular).

I strongly recommend SONY 46 XBR-3, both for excellent picture quality (see my other posts) and astonishing design. Will match your new suite perfectly.

Pro-B
Old 04-15-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best bang-for-the-buck currently is the Panny TH-50PX60U for $1500-$1600 (check Fry's and BrandsMart, as well as the usual places).
Old 04-15-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BigPete
One of the problems I have with HDTV in general is that I can always see artifacting. I realize that is probably the fault of the cable companies and not the tvs, but if there is anything I could do to minimize that, I'd be thrilled. Also, I'd like my SD picture quality to be as good as possible.
Yeah, that's generally going to be the provider's fault. Unless you want to back up til it looks tiny, you are going to be stuck with it. You can try checking local reception issues to get the best cable/sat provider. Or antenna reception issues.
Old 04-16-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Projector and impress everyone. Simple as that you ask me. For only $850 I mean seriously bang for your buck and panny I laugh.
Old 04-16-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just remember that with a projector, you'll need control of the lighting conditions in the room for the projector to perform to its best.
Old 04-16-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Circuit City has the new Panny Plasma models for under $2000. I'll likely get one of those this year. I believe they have a new Hitachi model that has 3 HDMI inputs.
Old 04-16-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From what I can tell, the new Panny 42" TH-42PX75U is around $1520, and the new Panny 50" TH-50PX75U is around $2375. These are 720p models.

The older 720p Panny 50" TH-50PX60U is likely to be found on clearance at CC for under $2000.
Old 04-16-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Just remember that with a projector, you'll need control of the lighting conditions in the room for the projector to perform to its best.
That would be true of any display.
Old 04-16-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Projectors need more lighting control than LCD flat screens, and to a lesser extent with the new plasmas with the anti-glare screens. Plus, you may have to deal with fan noise with the projectors.
Old 04-16-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TH-50PF9UK 50" Professional Series 1080p HD Plasma Display
Old 04-16-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Projectors need more lighting control than LCD flat screens, and to a lesser extent with the new plasmas with the anti-glare screens. Plus, you may have to deal with fan noise with the projectors.
What is "more"?

Also it greatly depends on the projector and the screen. Most new digital projectors are very bright and can easily be watched in moderate light. I watch day time football games with large windows open all the time.

Again with newer projectors, fan noise is not an issue.
Old 04-16-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you'll be able to get away with more ambient light with a direct-view TV than a projector and still have a very good viewing experience. It would be great if there was a list of some new projector models that are resistant to ambient light (i.e. daytime viewing in rooms with windows and some form of blinds/shades, or with the lights on in the room and still have a non-washed out image on the screen).
Old 04-16-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand what you are saying and while there is some merit to it, things are much better with the newer units. Unfortunatly it is much harder to test.

Also if you have less then idea light control, then a grey screen can be helpful as well.

And don't get me wrong. My project looks its best when the room is pretty dark. But it is more then watchable with some light. I often watch Lettermen/Leno with enough lights on to read by as I sometimes that is the only time I have to read the paper.
Old 04-16-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
TH-50PF9UK 50" Professional Series 1080p HD Plasma Display
And I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio that if you buy this from an authorized dealer, you get a 42" 720p Pioneer plasma for free!
Old 04-16-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it's a matter up to the OP to decide how much lighting control he need if he were to go projector over direct-view, so we'll leave it up to him.

Me, I have a 3-bulb (60W each) light fixture on in my living room, and watching 24 on my new plasma as I type this post, I can't imagine enjoying the same video image in the same conditions if I were watching it via projector. On average, projectors need more 'dedicated' facilities in my estimation, and that's just one consideration for projector ownership. That's all I was getting at.

At work, we are getting a new projector dedicated for video conferencing, and I'll be interested to see how well it works with the lights on in the room, as it would be silly to turn off the lights in the room during a video conference session since the other side couldn't see the people in the room, making the video portion of the meeting a moot point.