DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about wattage...

Old 04-14-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question about wattage...

I've got an old 100W Onkyo receiver, and may be setting it up to power some "buttshakers". The buttshakers are only 25w each. From the instructions, if I wire them in seriers, they will handle 50 watts.

So, is it ok to use this receiver with them, as long as I keep the output down to 50% or less?

If something can get damaged, it will be the buttshakers, not the receiver, right?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be OK.

You should also look at rated impedance. (Speaker impedance varies a LOT with frequency, so this is a very "nominal" thing. The rated impedance usually occurs at one frequency and is higher at all other frequencies.)

If the subwoofers are rated at 4 ohms each, then in series they would be 8 ohms. Your receiver or amp is also rated with an impedance it can drive. If it is rated 100 W into 4 ohms, it will probably not be able to deliver 100 W into 8 ohms anyway (maybe 50-75??).

An amp won't be harmed by driving a higher impedance, it will just deliver less than full power. Driving an impedance lower than rated impedance may be a problem, and could damage an amp not designed with protective circuitry.
Old 04-14-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, OldDude.
Old 04-15-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another point is that most of the time, you never go above 1 watt of power in actual usage.