DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Help w/ convincing a friend... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/497866-help-w-convincing-friend.html)

JayDerek 04-13-07 09:40 AM

Help w/ convincing a friend...

that Monster cables aren't the way to go...?

I've tried telling him that the cables from monoprice.com are just as good as the ones you pay an arm and a leg for, but he's not believing me. Are there any articles or anything i can send him to help and convince him??

I've tried telling him until i'm blue in the face, but it's not working.

Thanks for your help...

Brian Shannon 04-13-07 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JayDerek

I've tried telling him that the cables from monoprice.com are just as good as the ones you pay an arm and a leg for, but he's not believing me. Are there any articles or anything i can send him to help and convince him??

Thanks for your help...

Why are you so concerned about how he spends his money? :confused:

You could try doing a blind a-b test for him but it likely would not matter.

jonw9 04-13-07 10:19 AM

You can give him links to places like:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...t=metal+hanger

You can try to explain digital: The signal pretty much get there or it doesn't.

You can point to the 100's of satisfied Monoprice customers.

In the end it is their choice. My neighbor just bought a $5000 plasma, and in his mind he felt expensive cables need to be used with expensive TVs. He did look a little sheepish when I told him I bought 2 HDMI cables and 2 Toslink cables from Monoprice, and it cost about the same as the sales tax on his Monster HDMI! :lol:

Spiky 04-13-07 11:33 PM

I could loan you a 1.5' component cable I made for around $25 for the materials. It is about 2 orders of magnitude above a $200 Monster Cable or Monoprice's cables in quality. And solid enough to knock him out as a last resort. (it doesn't bend much -wink-) Maybe that would put sense in his head if the comparison doesn't.

On HDMI: Frankly, the Monoprice HDMI cables beat anything I've seen anywhere else, including plastic packages saying Monster on the front. Forget price, they are higher quality. Period.

I know an essentially anonymous opinion from the web doesn't mean much, but there is a reason why they call me elitist pig around here.

sniper308 04-14-07 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JayDerek

Thanks for your help...

Have him buy both... the monoprice cables are cheap enough to do that... buy the Monsters somewhere he can take them back without issue and just have him try both. Otherwise just leave it alone and let him spend his money how he wants.

Sdallnct 04-14-07 10:18 AM

IMHO, we are entering a new period of "show off" systems. Many want "full HD" and will only buy 1080p even if it is a 10" screen. They want to be able to say they have 1080p regardless if it make any visible difference or not.

Many still like to buy Bose, as everyone has heard about it. And many like to buy Monster as they feel just saying "oh, and I use only Monster Cable in my system" is a lot more "sexy" then saying monoprice.

Personally, I'd just let it go. You are in a no win situation. If your friend is convienced there is a difference, he will not be happy with monoprice. Let him buy the monster and enjoy his system. You buy monoprice for your system and enjoy it even more knowing you saved all that money. Everyone is happy.

pinata242 04-14-07 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jonw9
In the end it is their choice. My neighbor just bought a $5000 plasma, and in his mind he felt expensive cables need to be used with expensive TVs. He did look a little sheepish when I told him I bought 2 HDMI cables and 2 Toslink cables from Monoprice, and it cost about the same as the sales tax on his Monster HDMI! :lol:

This is so true. My In-Laws bought $4700 worth of tv, receiver, 5.1 speaker set, and cables from UE a few weeks ago and called me to tell me about it and to come over and get it all hooked up. $500 of that was cables, I told them to take them all back.

I went over with my box of cables and was able to get them all hooked up with $12 in monoprice cables, shipped (they just replenished my supply). They were sold cables they didn't even need (HDMI, new component, etc). For fun, I took their receipt and put together a similar shopping cart on monoprice and it was like $38 shipped which is less than the tax they paid on the ones from UE.

What a racket these "name brand" cables are.

kvrdave 04-15-07 12:18 AM

Well, if your friend is going to hook up his Bose system, then he will need Monster cables.

shelland 04-15-07 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Well, if your friend is going to hook up his Bose system, then he will need Monster cables.

As I was reading this thread, I was going to post a Bose reply, but you beat me to it... :)