DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   How Good/Bad do DIVX format movies/shows look on Plasmas ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/497096-how-good-bad-do-divx-format-movies-shows-look-plasmas.html)

Original Desmond 04-03-07 11:16 PM

How Good/Bad do DIVX format movies/shows look on Plasmas ?

Hey guys

I do download a lot of tv shows. I am a little worried that they won't look very good on a 42 or 50 inch plasma. I accept they won't be perfect but am hoping they will still be watchable.

So for a standard divx tv show release (350 meg for a 42 min tv show), how good/bad do these look on a 42 or 50 inch plasma ?

Thanks heaps

Mr. Salty 04-04-07 03:06 AM

I don't have a plasma, but I do watch a lot of DivX encoded videos on a 50-inch Sony SXRD via a DivX-capable Oppo DVD player. They look almost as good as DVD. Really good detail for the most part, but a bit more artifacting, particularly in static backgrounds due to the higher compression. But certainly more than watchable.

JZ1276 04-04-07 03:40 AM

if it's a good rip, they can look very good....the best ones are TV show rips from HD sources

kahuna 04-04-07 04:30 PM

I have a 42" LCD and have a HTCP hooked up to it. I watch nothing but Korean drama episodes in divx format ripped from HD Korean channels. I have the HTPC connected to the LCD by DVI/1080p and these Korean Dramas/episodes look way better than our local korean channels showing them on a digital cable channel.

griffidm 04-04-07 05:05 PM

I have a 50" Pany plasma and do watch quite a few divx movies and shows. It really depends on the quality of the rip but for the most part they are pretty darn good. Very watchable. Oh, and I use the Oppo 970 upscaling player.

JZ1276 04-04-07 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by griffidm
I have a 50" Pany plasma and do watch quite a few divx movies and shows. It really depends on the quality of the rip but for the most part they are pretty darn good. Very watchable. Oh, and I use the Oppo 970 upscaling player.

do upscaling players actually upscale DIVX movies, or just DVD?

griffidm 04-04-07 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
do upscaling players actually upscale DIVX movies, or just DVD?

I use the HDMI hookup set to 760p. I don't think it is really upscaling the divx movies but I mention it because that is the player doing my decoding of the files. If I burn the files to DVD format then it does perform the upscale does show an improvement. BTW, I really like the OPPO.

Original Desmond 04-07-07 08:00 PM

ive now got my new plasma and i am amazed at how good these divx files look

very happy :)

Patman 04-15-07 09:06 AM

I have my Panny TH-50PX600U set up now and I am using the Philips 5960 DVD player, and I was impressed by how good the divx files look on it as well. I just copy the files to a USB stick and play it through the 5960's USB input.