DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recording VHS to DVD.

Old 03-29-07, 03:58 AM

Recording VHS to DVD.

So I recently brought a Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder from Wal-mart and am trying to figure out how to record from my VCR. I tried using a s-video cable but my VCR doesn't have anywhere to plug it in{which is weird because it's the same brand]. Is there any other way I can do it?

When I turn to channel 4{on the DVD Recorder} There's a blue screen like my VCR asking me to select English, Spanish, etc. but I can't do anything with it.
Old 03-29-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regular VHS VCRs aren't equipped with S-video outputs because the quality isn't high enough to warrant it. S-video is found on Super-VHS.

It's pretty simple. Connect your VCR's composite connections (yellow video cable, red and white audio cables) to the composite inputs of the DVD recorder. Set the recorder to that input (you won't tune to a TV channel, because you aren't recording a TV broadcast).

This should all be covered in the DVD recorder's instruction manual.
Old 03-29-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not to hijack this thread but....

i want to take my wedding video off of vhs, upload it on to my computer, clean it up and then burn it to dvd.

i have the hardware to upload it. it is a plextor external video capture card.

my question is this. i only have an old non "s"vhs with just composite cables. am i sacrificing a lot of quality by using this as opposed to an s-vhs?
Old 03-29-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would imagine that depends on the quality of the recorder that was used to put in onto vhs in the first place. If it only picked up 480i resolution, then no you wouldn't be losing anything by using composite. However, if it was something above that, then yes you would be.

Always the option of sending it somewhere and have them do the conversion for you.

Curious - how are you going to "clean it up"?
Old 03-29-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I would imagine that depends on the quality of the recorder that was used to put in onto vhs in the first place. If it only picked up 480i resolution, then no you wouldn't be losing anything by using composite. However, if it was something above that, then yes you would be.

Always the option of sending it somewhere and have them do the conversion for you.

Curious - how are you going to "clean it up"?

one of my friends swears he has software to run it through.
Old 03-29-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i only have an old non "s"vhs with just composite cables. am i sacrificing a lot of quality by using this as opposed to an s-vhs?
If your wedding is VHS, you can't make it Super-VHS. It is what it is.
Old 03-30-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Actually, if it was an SVHS recorder, it MIGHT be NEAR full 480i resolution like DVD. Regular VHS....it's technically a 480i signal, but it's likely half that resolution in reality. And playing the tape in an SVHS machine with Svideo cables isn't going to change that.

So yes, composite is just fine.