Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How good (or bad) does a regular DirecTV signal look on an LCD TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-24-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have regular (non-HD) DirecTV going into a standard-def 27" CRT TV.

This TV is dying, so I am looking to replace it, probably with a ~32" Widescreen LCD (This is my bedroom setup).

My DirecTivo box only has coax, composite, & s-video outputs, so those are what I will be using to connect. (At this point, I don't think I am going to be upgrading to HD DirecTV, but may at some point in the future.)

So, has anyone here seen what (non-HD) DirecTV picture quality looks like on a newer LCD screen and care to comment?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-07, 12:28 PM

It's really hit and miss depending on the channel and show. If you're only going with a 32", it shouldn't be too bad though. The bigger the screen, the more pixelation you'll see on a bad program.
Old 03-24-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just did the same thing, for the same reason. Dying 27" CRT replaced with a 32" Samsung LCD. I'm feeding the signal from the DirecTV receiver via Svideo and it looks okay, but doesn't look as good as another SD CRT in the house (which I didn't expect it to). The LCD does look great with my 360 and looks pretty good with the upconvert DVD player via HDMI.
Old 03-24-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you going to put up an antenna for OTA HD? I asked cause I'm not sure why you would want to get a HD display if you had no HD source. Unless maybe you are using as a computer monitor and/or you want something flat to hang on the wall.

shelland, is right. There is no general answer. It depends on the set (even particular model), channel and show. The problem is that the signal from sat is compressed and a HD display really shows this off.

In my theater room, I almost cannot watch dish network (SD). But it is on a 94" screen. I also have a 27" TV in the bar, but I only do OTA HD. Heck even when the show is not HD, at least the signal is still digital so it is pretty good.
Old 03-24-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks pretty good on my 76" screen (4:3 measurements). But my TV has a pretty good processor. As said above, some channels look like absolute garbage on any TV, even a 20" SDTV.