DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help Setting Up New Sony Bravia 40 in LCD TV

Old 03-12-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Help Setting Up New Sony Bravia 40 in LCD TV

I just bought a new Sony Bravia LCD 40 in TV last night.
It's an HD TV. Currently I have DIRECTV with a regular satellite receiver.
My father had a DIRECTV HD receiver he gave me because he just got rid of DIRECTV.

Can I use his HD satellite box ? Do I just have to call DIRECTV and tell them to turn HD on or do I need a new satellite dish as well ?

My Sony has an HDMI input but the satellite box has a DVI connection for HD. What's the best way to hook it up ?

Also I bought a 3 year warranty with the TV for $525. I have 90 days to cancel it and get a full refund. Is it worth it ?

Thanks !
Old 03-12-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you can not hook up the satellite box without first changing the dish you have. you need a dish capable of receiving HD signals.

your best bet is to keep your current dish and go out and get an antenna as an HD add-on for your current set-up.

or, pay a bunch of money for satellite to upgrade you to HD.

$525 for a warrantly?!?!?! WOW. CANCEL it. You should have just put it on a credit card that doubles the warranty and then hoped for the best.

If they changed the main digital board (which is pretty much the only technology inside the TV) it costs less than $400.

They must have drooled when you said yes to that warranty. Where did you get it?

Last edited by SoSpacey; 03-12-07 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-12-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
you can not hook up the satellite box without first changing the dish you have. you need a dish capable of receiving HD signals.

your best bet is to keep your current dish and go out and get an antenna as an HD add-on for your current set-up.

or, pay a bunch of money for satellite to upgrade you to HD.

SoSpacey,

How much is good antenna and how do I hook it up ?
What channels willI be able to get in HD with the antenna ?
Old 03-12-07, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Struz
SoSpacey,

How much is good antenna and how do I hook it up ?
What channels willI be able to get in HD with the antenna ?

there are very expensive antennas, and also cheap ones. there are indoor and outdoor. you need to find out how far you are from towers to determine which would work for you.

i use a cheapo radio shack antenna in my kitchen while i wait to hook up cable in that room. it was $15 and does a pretty good job. i couldn't live with it permanently though.

also, i edited my first post in regards to your warranty.
Old 03-12-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there are very expensive antennas, and also cheap ones. there are indoor and outdoor. you need to find out how far you are from towers to determine which would work for you.

i use a cheapo radio shack antenna in my kitchen while i wait to hook up cable in that room. it was $15 and does a pretty good job. i couldn't live with it permanently though.

also, i edited my first post in regards to your warranty.
How do I find out how far I am from a tower ?
What channels do you get wuth the antenna just local ?

As far as the warranty goes, I wasn't planning on getting the warranty.
I bought it at Sears. It was on sale for $1,999 with 18 months no interest.
If I refused the warranty when I bought it I couldn't add it on later.
If I took the warranty I have 90 days to cancel the warranty and get a full refund, so I choose to get it and then look into if it's worht it.

$525 does seem high for 3 years. But Sears is very good with fixing and replacing items. We've bought a lot of our appliances there and they always done the right thing with their warranties. They gave us a new dishwasher recently when they couldn't fix the old one.

I'm on the fence with the warranty.
Old 03-12-07, 08:35 AM

How do I find out how far I am from a tower ?
What channels do you get wuth the antenna just local ?

As far as the warranty goes, I wasn't planning on getting the warranty.
I bought it at Sears. It was on sale for $1,999 with 18 months no interest.
If I refused the warranty when I bought it I couldn't add it on later.
If I took the warranty I have 90 days to cancel the warranty and get a full refund, so I choose to get it and then look into if it's worht it.

$525 does seem high for 3 years. But Sears is very good with fixing and replacing items. We've bought a lot of our appliances there and they always done the right thing with their warranties. They gave us a new dishwasher recently when they couldn't fix the old one.

I'm on the fence with the warranty.

piece of mind is overrated.

they are only covering the internals of the LCD. an lcd is merely a main digital board that send a signal to the screen.

check what they cover in terms of screen. probably not much. there is usually a high number of pixels that need to be dead in order for them to warranty your screen.

that leaves the main digital board. a main digital board will be less than the price you paid for the warranty.

the panel of connections on the back could also be damaged. but if 1 is damaged, how much could that possibly be?

www.antennaweb.org
Old 03-12-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

piece of mind is overrated.

they are only covering the internals of the LCD. an lcd is merely a main digital board that send a signal to the screen.

check what they cover in terms of screen. probably not much. there is usually a high number of pixels that need to be dead in order for them to warranty your screen.

that leaves the main digital board. a main digital board will be less than the price you paid for the warranty.

the panel of connections on the back could also be damaged. but if 1 is damaged, how much could that possibly be?

www.antennaweb.org
Good points.

I checked out the antenna web site.
I'm 6.7 miles from a PBS station that is broadcasting a Digital channel in a yellow area.
The Bravia has an integrated tuner.
Will an indoor antenna work ?

Last edited by Struz; 03-12-07 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-12-07, 09:45 AM

Good points.

I checked out the antenna web site.
I'm 6.7 miles from a PBS station that is broadcasting a Digital channel in a yellow area.
The Bravia has an integrated tuner.
Will an indoor antenna work ?

What about cbs, fox, abc, nbc?

You need to use that site as a guide. I couldnt answer that question for you. That site should give you distances to each of those stations towers ans also will let you know what type of antenna you might need.
Old 03-12-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just under 20 miles from most of the broadcasting towers (yellow zone), and just use a double bowtie indoor UHF antenna and a 10db antenna signal booster and get all the stations from the green/yellow zones. Unfortunately, the NBC affiliate chooses to broadcast on VHF, so I have to also use a VHF antenna in conjunction to get NBC in HD as well. I just take both antenna feeds and put them into a combiner (really just a splitter in reverse).

For 4 years of coverage, I would not spend more than 15% of the cost of the TV set. At just 3 years of coverage, I would not spend over 25% of the cost of the Bravia set. As SoSpacey suggested, use a credit card that will double the manufacturer's warranty to get to 2 years of coverage for free, and roll the dice on the 3rd year. At least you'll have $525 in your pocket towards another TV in the 3rd year should anything happen, and by then, a comparable TV model should be cheaper anyway.
Old 03-12-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm just under 20 miles from most of the broadcasting towers (yellow zone), and just use a double bowtie indoor UHF antenna and a 10db antenna signal booster and get all the stations from the green/yellow zones. Unfortunately, the NBC affiliate chooses to broadcast on VHF, so I have to also use a VHF antenna in conjunction to get NBC in HD as well. I just take both antenna feeds and put them into a combiner (really just a splitter in reverse).

For 4 years of coverage, I would not spend more than 15% of the cost of the TV set. At just 3 years of coverage, I would not spend over 25% of the cost of the Bravia set. As SoSpacey suggested, use a credit card that will double the manufacturer's warranty to get to 2 years of coverage for free, and roll the dice on the 3rd year. At least you'll have $525 in your pocket towards another TV in the 3rd year should anything happen, and by then, a comparable TV model should be cheaper anyway.

Patman,

$525 is about 25% of $2,000. (3 year warranty)
I had to put it on a Sears credit card to get the 18 months intertest free financing.

I don't know if they would let me return the TV on the Sears card then buy it on my American Express card without bringing the TV back in the original box.
Old 03-12-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about cbs, fox, abc, nbc?

You need to use that site as a guide. I couldnt answer that question for you. That site should give you distances to each of those stations towers ans also will let you know what type of antenna you might need.
CBS, FOX and ABC are all 26 miles away in a yellow- uhf zone.

I can't find NBC ?
Old 03-12-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Patman,

$525 is about 25% of $2,000. (3 year warranty)
I had to put it on a Sears credit card to get the 18 months intertest free financing.

I don't know if they would let me return the TV on the Sears card then buy it on my American Express card without bringing the TV back in the original box.
Just bring in your receipt, tell them you want to return the set, and then re-buy it without the warranty on your Amex. If the 18-months, no finance fee, is important to you, then it's up to you to decide if you want to pay that much for a 2-year extension to the existing 1-year manufacturers warranty for that TV set. Personally, I'd go the Amex route, and roll the dice for that amount of money.

I'm considering a $2000 plasma purchase, but I will probably pay the $200 for 4 total years of coverage, that's a more acceptable amount to pay for a warranty than 3 total years for $525 for a $2000 LCD set. But that's just me.
Old 03-12-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bring in your receipt, tell them you want to return the set, and then re-buy it without the warranty on your Amex. If the 18-months, no finance fee, is important to you, then it's up to you to decide if you want to pay that much for a 2-year extension to the existing 1-year manufacturers warranty for that TV set. Personally, I'd go the Amex route, and roll the dice for that amount of money.
I'm going to cancel the warranty. $525 is too much.
The 18 month deal isn't a deal breaker, I could live without it.
I just don't know if Sears will let me return it without the TV and re-buy it on Amex.
Old 03-12-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just ask them, call them if you don't want to make the trip in person, ask for one of the folks in Electronics. Now you are in the 30-day return window, right?
Old 03-12-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just ask them, call them if you don't want to make the trip in person, ask for one of the folks in Electronics. Now you are in the 30-day return window, right?
I bought it last night.

I just checked the Sony manufacturer warranty.
It's for 1 year parts and labor.
The salesman at Sears told me it was 90 days parts and 1 year labor.
I can use this as an excuse to return it and re-buy it with Amex.

Last edited by Struz; 03-12-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-12-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm using antenna's to get all local channels in HD. But it does depend on your area.

The antenna I'm using for my LCD TV in the bar is a small square outdoor antenna I found at Home Depot. Ran about $40 and it is amplified. I get all the channels no problem.

You can get some cheap antenna that might work off the net. The problem is if it doesn't you got to go thru the pain of returning. I'd check out Radio Shack, BB, CC, Home Depot, Lowes, Fry's, etc and see what they got so if it doesn't work, easy to replace.
Old 03-12-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I'm using antenna's to get all local channels in HD. But it does depend on your area.

The antenna I'm using for my LCD TV in the bar is a small square outdoor antenna I found at Home Depot. Ran about $40 and it is amplified. I get all the channels no problem.

You can get some cheap antenna that might work off the net. The problem is if it doesn't you got to go thru the pain of returning. I'd check out Radio Shack, BB, CC, Home Depot, Lowes, Fry's, etc and see what they got so if it doesn't work, easy to replace.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-12-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just bought a Channel Master 4221 quad-bowtie antenna off ebay yesterday because I wanted to stash this up in my attic, and then use my other antennas in my bedroom when I move my old RPTV HDTV set into the bedroom.
Old 03-13-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from Sears.
I returned it on the Sears credit card and put it on my Amex card.
Now I have a 2 year warranty for free rather than a 3 year warranty for $525 plus tax.

Old 03-13-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You would make Clark Howard very proud.