DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bought oppo 981 - which TV to get now?

Old 03-11-07, 02:04 PM

Bought oppo 981 - which TV to get now?

Hi,

I bought an Oppo 981 DVD player. I could have bought an HD DVD player, but I have no disks, so I thought the Oppo would do for now.

Big question is now: which TV to get? I was thinking max size of somewhere around 42", budget is about $1,500 CDN (yes, I live in Canada).

I would be hooking up the Oppo to the TV, and also my computer. I likely will go for satellite TV as well, don't know if I'll go HDTV or not as yet. I have a separate sound system (5.1), so the TV does not have to do any of that.

I think I need either a plasma or an LCD - the room I will have the TV in is rather bright (large windows).

I would like a TV that would last me for a little while (5 years), so expandability (HDTV if I don't get it right away) would be a plus.

I don't know very much about HDTV either. Could anybody point me to a "HDTV for noob's" website?

What are your recommendations for my TV? Thanks!
Old 03-11-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would look into the Olevia or Westinghouse brands of LCDs. Good value for the $545 US that $1500 CAD translates into.
Old 03-11-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL! Nice slam on the canucks there, Josh.

The Crutchfield website has some great FAQs and advice for people. They even have a special Canadian site now. Look under "learning" or "planning" links on the site.
Old 03-11-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, the Canadian dollar is pretty strong compared to the US dollar these days.