DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need your Advice: My Setup (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/494921-need-your-advice-my-setup.html)

Barry 03-11-07 03:56 AM

Need your Advice: My Setup

Been some years & have loss touch what's the newest & greatest?

I bought some years ago & still very happy with my setup.

Receiver: Pioneer Elite 49tx
TV: Pioneer SD:533

Thinking of buying a HD-DVD Player.
Thing is my tv & Receiver doesn't have HDMI.

I may sell my tv & buy 50" LCD or Plasma?
Should I just replace my tv & run HD-DVD player via HDMI?
Hate to get rid of my Receiver paid $3,000.00 for it.
Can I not just run the audio to Receiver I have & not via HDMI?

Thanks much!
P.S. If I buy a new tv? is it ok if only 720P or best to get 1080P?

Sdallnct 03-11-07 10:30 AM

Been some years & have loss touch what's the newest & greatest?

I bought some years ago & still very happy with my setup.

Receiver: Pioneer Elite 49tx
TV: Pioneer SD:533

Thinking of buying a HD-DVD Player.
Thing is my tv & Receiver doesn't have HDMI.

I may sell my tv & buy 50" LCD or Plasma?

Yes. IMHO no need to have any HD sources if your display is not HD. The plasma is a flat panel. The LCD is available as a rear projector and flat panel but don't think they have as big as 50" flat panel LCD yet. If they do I'm sure they are pretty pricey. Also if you are looking at RP's don't forget DLP and LcOS.

Should I just replace my tv & run HD-DVD player via HDMI?

You could. I do that.

Hate to get rid of my Receiver paid $3,000.00 for it.

Don't blame you.

Can I not just run the audio to Receiver I have & not via HDMI?

Yes you can. That is how I have my set us since my receiver has no HDMI. HDMI for video to my display and optical or coaxial to my receiver.

Thanks much!

P.S. If I buy a new tv? is it ok if only 720P or best to get 1080P?

Yes, in this size 720p is fine. But that is IMO. I and from I have read is that on a small set like this sitting at a reasonable distance, your eyes simply cannot see all the resolution in 1080p.

hdtv00 03-11-07 01:01 PM

Well thats a pretty nice reciever you could use the 7.1 analog inputs and let the hd-dvd player do the decoding of the true hd or whichever audio stream. Id do that before Id go throwing that beast into the bedroom or something .

The rest is up to you. I prefer BIG screens giving it a real theater feel. But each his own.

Mr. Salty 03-11-07 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yes. IMHO no need to have any HD sources if your display is not HD.

The TV he has is an HDTV, despite having "SD" in the model number. And it's a nice one.

If your Pioneer HDTV still has a good picture and you're happy with it, I see no need to replace it except for the convenience of a built-in tuner and/or HDMI inputs. You can connect an HD-DVD player via component cables.

Sdallnct 03-11-07 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The TV he has is an HDTV, despite having "SD" in the model number. And it's a nice one.

If your Pioneer HDTV still has a good picture and you're happy with it, I see no need to replace it except for the convenience of a built-in tuner and/or HDMI inputs. You can connect an HD-DVD player via component cables.

Oh, no I didn't know that. I assumed since he was talking replacing, that it was a SD 4:3 set. Yea, I agree with you. Why replace it unless you want bigger. Use component cables.

So he has a nice HD TV and evidently a nice receiver...why are we talking relacing them again? Just for HDMI? IMHO that alone is not reason enough.

Spiky 03-11-07 07:50 PM

No, it's not a nice one, it is a friggin' awesome TV! This is the model that was raved about for years, esp after a good calibration. Costco sold so many of the 64" version, it probably bought them a few new stores. I was just about on my way out the door to get one when I decided 90" might be fun.

HDDVD can be run over component outputs as long as they don't flick on the ICT flag on the discs themselves. I wouldn't get rid of a Pioneer CRT model unless it was broken or the large box absolutely had to go in favor of a flat panel.

I expect Shelland will be here any second to praise this TV properly.

Barry 03-13-07 12:29 AM

You guys are the best!
Truly appreciate all the great advice!

Will do keep my setup as is.
I'll just go ahead & buy a HD-DVD Player.
Glad to hear component will work just fine!

CaptStormy 03-16-07 03:03 PM

My understanding and please correct me if i am wrong is that component cables will work great for 720P. If you want 1080P depending on the make/model of the TV you will need to use HDMI. BUT as stated earlier, just use HDMI for Video (If you have the HiDef DVD) and optical cable for the Receiver! No reason to replace any equipement.

Mr. Salty 03-16-07 03:27 PM

His TV is 1080i, not 1080p, so component will work fine. HDMI did not exist when his TV was made, so it is not an option.

Barry 03-17-07 04:54 AM

Should I upgrade to this TV...Your thoughts please!

Mitsubishi WD-57732 57-inch Medallion Series
1080p DLP Rear Projection

Onecall has it for $1900 shipping included.
This way I have built in HD Tuner + HDMI I need for HD-DVD Player, etc.

Do u feel is better then what I have now with my Pioneer?

Another benefit is going from 53 inch to 57 inch.

Thanks much!

Sdallnct 03-17-07 12:14 PM

IMHO, the most important thing for a display is picture quality. And based on what everyone else is saying you have a display that has an excellent picture. Why change? Of course bigger is better, but you already have a decent size set. It is not like you are starting from a 27" set or something.

For my money, I wouldn't switch. I'd use component.