DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Samsung 50" DLP vs. Sharp Aquos 42" LCD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/494782-samsung-50-dlp-vs-sharp-aquos-42-lcd.html)

Wick 03-09-07 08:50 AM

Samsung 50" DLP vs. Sharp Aquos 42" LCD

I'm sorry for creating a billion different threads about my TV situation, but I just wanted to ask one more question and I figured that it deserved its own thread. I'm not trying to spam or anything.

I've been asking a lot of questions lately and I've heard worrying information. I've heard that LCDs are bad for dead pixels and that warranties won't cover one dead pixel (they won't do anything until there's a group in one area, or so I've heard.) So, I've started thinking about a DLP TV, but I'm not sure if I'd rather go for a DLP or an LCD. I've been told that the LCDs have better picture quality, but someone on another forum just told me that DL?Ps actually have better picture quality than LCDs, and that LCD HDTVs are actually the worst sometimes for PQ.

Right now, the Aquos is on sale while supplies last, and the store near me only has 1 left in stock, as well as its display model (which I would never buy.) I'm thinking about getting it, BUT...if DLPs are actually that good, then I may consider buying one of the new 50" Samsung 1080p DLP TVs that Best Buy is advertising (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...om_Flyer_Pages.) Except, it seems like that model doesn't feature any HDMI ports...

What would be best to go with if:

I'll be using it for HD sports, movies and video games, mainly.
I'm looking for the best picture quality possible between the two?

I've heard something about needing to replace bulbs in DLPs every 3 years or so, and that doesn't sound too interesting. I'm also worried about the fact that the bulb will decrease in quality as it dies, so my TV PQ will drop drastically (or will it?) But, on the LCD side...I'm really worried about dead pixels.

Wick 03-09-07 09:32 AM

I just read a bit of a review of 1080p on Cnet and it said that they had a problem with a 1080i Blu-ray signal, through the 46" Sharp Aquos. That's kind of worrying. Supposedly it softened the picture, so that they couldn't give an accurate comparison.

Any thoughts?

Patman 03-09-07 09:48 AM

Have you actually stared at the DLP and LCD models you are interested in buying for at least 20-30 minutes straight? Reading's one thing, seeing is believing.

RE: DLP - If you are concerned about SSE (silk screen effect - sparkly-ness of the screen during bright white/yellow/orangish scenes that follows your line of sight), or want brightness control, at least look for a DLP model that has iris adjustment to ratchet down the lamp output because the bulbs used in these new fangled sets pretty much just burn as brightly as possible (different from the CRT guns whose brightness is a function of controlling its output per color gun), and the DLPs achieve brightness control in different ways. Personally, I just can't watch the DLP sets for too long of a stretch, and that's sort of the point when you buy a TV, to stare at it without a lot of fatigue for at least an hour or more. If you do check out the Samsung DLP models, at least check out the Mitsubishi DLP models as well.

RE: LCD - some replacement warranties won't do anything for the LCD set until 1% of the pixels show up as defective, and 1% could be 100's of pixels. Always read the fine print on the return policy and extended warranty coverage. A video calibrator friend of mine doesn't much care for the Aquos line of LCDs from Sharp (black levels not so good).

Sdallnct 03-09-07 10:44 AM

I don't know where you plan on putting this set, but I'd go with the Samsung if for no other reason then size. 42" is not that big by today's standard, and while you might initially think 50" is getting too big, you get use to it real fast and starting thinking about going even bigger.

Bulb life is a non issue IMHO. You are literally talking pennies a day. And since the DLP sets are typically less then an equivalent LCD (if you can even get one that big) are already saving more then a bulb or two in the initial cost. You may want to recalibrate your set after a couple of hundred hours, but the overall quality will not go down significantly till it is time to replace.

Wick 03-09-07 11:18 AM

50" is actually pretty big, considering I'll have the TV in my bedroom. I'd only be about 8 feet from it. I'm just not sure if I want to get another LCD, or whether I want to get a DLP.

SoSpacey 03-09-07 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wick
50" is actually pretty big, considering I'll have the TV in my bedroom. I'd only be about 8 feet from it. I'm just not sure if I want to get another LCD, or whether I want to get a DLP.

i dont know what you obsession is with "upgrading" to 1080p. At an 8' viewing distance, 50" will still not be large enough to see the resolution change to 1080p.

My buddy just bought a 73" to accommodate his 9' viewing distance.

At 8' on a 50" your eyes are still only going to "see" 720 anyway.

If this is a bedroom TV, just pick up a Plasma or LCD.

If you want to really see an upgrade in PQ over your current set get a 720p plasma.

Sdallnct 03-09-07 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i dont know what you obsession is with "upgrading" to 1080p. At an 8' viewing distance, 50" will still not be large enough to see the resolution change to 1080p.

My buddy just bought a 73" to accommodate his 9' viewing distance.

At 8' on a 50" your eyes are still only going to "see" 720 anyway.

If this is a bedroom TV, just pick up a Plasma or LCD.

If you want to really see an upgrade in PQ over your current set get a 720p plasma.

I'd agree with all of this, and specifically recommend the Panasonic 42" plasmas (there are like 3 versions, but the pic is the same on all. Just depends on the features you want). I have seen the panny plasmas set up well and they are the single best pic I have seen by any display.

tygloalex 03-09-07 12:20 PM

I"m not entirely sure that that Sammy 50" DLP is the same one I'm considering, but it is a little bit cheaper at Circuit City (like 1600US vs. 2000CA, not sure which is higher). Also, if it is the same one, it has 2 HDMI ports.

Patman 03-09-07 02:44 PM

The 42" Panny Plasma is now $999 at HHGregg this weekend.

Sdallnct 03-09-07 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
The 42" Panny Plasma is now $999 at HHGregg this weekend.

Such a sweet deal. Awesome Pic. I'd get one, but really wanting to look at 46" sets.

nateman 03-09-07 09:12 PM

personally im a CRT tv kind of guy, i still think they give off the best picture. if i were to choose between LCD & DLP i would choose DLP hands down. I have had experience with both. DLP through not the greastest picture ever is better than the picture than a LCD tv i think. LCD tvs give off shitty picture in my opinion and the dead pixel thing is very annoying.
since this is a bedroom tv im not sure weither a DLP would be a good choice through, 50's is big for a bedroom tv and sitting or laying to close to one could hurt your eyes. alot of people use LCD tvs for the bedroom and in that case i would have to agree and go with LCD through i don't like the picture.
i would still choose a CRT tv but LCD would be a second choice for the bedroom i guess.
Dlp is good for a larger room.

Patman 03-09-07 09:50 PM

LCDs are too bright for the bedroom, they are better off in a living room with ambient daylight conditions. My eyes burn after watching a LCD set for too long.