DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sharp Aquos 42" LCD TV

Old 03-07-07, 02:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Sharp Aquos 42" LCD TV

I recently purchased a Samsung 40" LCD flat panel TV (as I mentioned in my other post,) but I'm thinking about selling it to my parents (who are in the market for an HDTV, and they don't care about 1080p,) in order to get a 1080p 42" Aquos. Right now, they're on sale for $2300 Canadian, which isn't bad at all.

But, I remember reading something about the Aquos not being great at 1080p. Is that true? I also remember reading something about it being useless to get 1080p if you're a) relatively close to the TV, or b) if it's not that big (people say that, if it's around 40", or smaller, one wouldn't really notice the difference in definition.) That's bullshit, right?

Do any of you own 1080p Aquos HDTVs? If so, what do you think of them?
Old 03-07-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unless you are getting a 60" TV and are sitting 9' or less from it then it is all in your head.

Those people arent bullshitting you.

Want to see an upgrade in PQ v. your current Sharp? Get a Panasonic Plasma.

So many people have been convinced that 1080p is the be-all. It is NOT just about resolution.

There is ONE Sharp that is 1080p that may come close (but not to) the level of a properly calibrated Panasonic Plasma and it is 3k.
Old 03-07-07, 03:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Right now, my HDTV is in my bedroom and it's about 10 feet from my bed.
Old 03-07-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
Right now, my HDTV is in my bedroom and it's about 10 feet from my bed.

i would not spend the money on the upgrade. the resolution will make no difference at that distance with that size TV.
Old 03-07-07, 03:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Alright. Thanks for the information.

I just really want to keep up to date with technology and I figured that 1080p is basically a necessity these days, especially when I plan to be watching a lot of HD-DVDs, Blu-ray Discs and playing a lot of PS3.
Old 03-07-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can always buy it and try it out and then return if you don't like.

Personally I wouldn't get one for now. Depending on size 40" could be good for a bedroom, but that sounds like something good for now to stay there. Will tide you over for a few years while the market figures itself out with new technology (OLED, etc.) and LCD/Plasma prices for 1080p fall.
Old 03-07-07, 09:02 PM

I have the 42" Aquos in 1080p and love it, and have last years 32" Aquos in my bedroom. I know there have been some banding issues with the new ones but I lucked out and didn't get one, and also heard Sharp will make sure they fix the problem if you have it. I would say if you were going to get a new TV and have the money get one, but don't go out of your way if you don't need a new one, but the parent upgrade might be an easy path. If you want and pics or specific questions I will try to answer them, or at least make up stuff, haha.
Old 03-08-07, 12:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the replies.

I still haven't decided on what I'm going to do, but I'm really considering buying the Aquos. I originally purchased a 32" Aquos, but I returned it to Future Shop (who have terrible warranties on their TVs,) and decided to buy a 42" Sony Grand Wega. However, I bought the showcase model and they shipped it without a box, so it had a couple of paint chips on it when it got here. So, I decided to send that back and I got the 40" Samsung from Leon's because they had a great deal on it. $2000 Canadian with a 5.1 surround sound system (including a 5-disc DVD player,) and also an extra upconverting DVD player.

If my parents are willing to buy the TV from me, I'll most-likely buy the Aquos. It's on sale right now for $2300, which isn't bad, considering it'd probably come to the same thing that my other TV did (because I won't also have to buy a $200 stand.) But, what everyone's been telling me about the dead pixels is really worrying. I don't want to be stuck with a damaged TV (I'd refer to it as that or defective, even if one pixel is dead.) It would bother the Hell out of my obsessive-compulsive ass.
Old 03-08-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then you're probably stuck with going with rear projection, or front projection.
Old 03-08-07, 01:55 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Does the 42" Aquous do 1080p through component?