DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

need some cable box DVR help, please

Old 03-04-07, 05:13 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

need some cable box DVR help, please

I need a little help with my Cbale DVR box and my Sony DVR-120 Recorder.

I have everything hooked and good to go or so I thought.

I am able to record a program "live"onto a recordable DVR disc, but when I try to record a program that I saved on my DVR all I get is a blue box that shows up on screen that says "No Signal".

Could someone maybe explain what I'm doing wrong? I know it's hard since you can't actually see the set up, but maybe you might know if I have a cable hooked up wrong.

I have the cable for the tv going into the 'IN' outlet on my cable box. And then I have a cable going from the 'OUT' point on the cable box to the 'IN point on my Sony DVR. From there I have the AV (red & white) leads going from the Sony DVR into the back of the TV and tuned into AV3, including the yellow "video" lead.

Sorry if this seems vague or a simple solution, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
Old 03-04-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you mean "Sony DVDR". Gotta be careful with these terms, they are very similar.

When you say "I have a cable going from the 'OUT' point on the cable box to the 'IN point on my Sony DVR", do you mean the A/V red/white/yellow cables or the single coax like the cable line from the wall?

If it is the single coax, you probably need to set the recorder to channel 3 or something like that. If it is the A/V cables, you probably have set it to the wrong input.

I would recommend using A/V cables for this, btw. If your cable box has two A/V outputs.
Old 03-05-07, 07:28 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

It's a single coax cable that I have connected between the OUT point on the cable point and the IN point on the Sony DVDR.

I have the DVDR set to channel 3, so maybe it's something to do with the A/V leads. I have 2 "ports" on the back of the DVDR with A/V leads in both. In Port 1 I have the red and white in the 'L' and 'R' audio points and the yellow in the 'Video' point. Underneath I have another red and white lead in the 'L' and 'R' points next to the 'S-Video' point.

After writing that it sounds like I have way too many leads back there which is probably the problem. Maybe its the second set of leads I have hooked up.

When I have time I'll check it all out. In the meantime if anyone can offer any help I'd appreciate it.

Sorry about the rambling, but I get frustrated sometimes
Old 03-05-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A/V cables would be preferable to the coax. Svideo (plus the red/white audio) would be preferable to the A/V cables, though. If you have this output from the cable box, use it.

Too many cables is not inherently a problem, but getting confused because of too many wires could be difficult.

Sounds like you just have the DVDR set to the wrong input.