Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

More Mits. DLP Concerns

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

More Mits. DLP Concerns

Old 03-04-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Mits. DLP Concerns

I was watching The Departed last night and in the beginning scenes where Matt Damon in the classroom at the police academy, it shows him sitting in front of a grey wall.

This wall on my TV was all blocky (macroblocking?) and moving, the color wasn't steady. I have read that Departed is a good transfer, and I have the Oppo 970HD, so those shouldn't bring in this kind of problems. This is in addition to the calibration issues I discussed in my 970HD review thread.

I am out of my BB return policy (30 days right?) so I am trying to figure what to do next. I have the PSP, so I can call them again. However last time the guy that was sent out didn't really know what he was doing when he replaced the image unit in the tv (for noise issues). He replaced the unit but did not service menu adjustments, nor do I think he knew how.

This is where I think the issue may lie, but to take another day off work to meet the repairman who doesn't know what he is doing is annoying. Is there a way to ask for a competent company when getting a repair.

Is it possible to return/exchange the set at this point?
Old 03-04-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Departed DVD isn't one of the better transfers to judge picture quality. It's a grainy film, and that causes some artifacts to show as the compression of the grain is tough for standard DVD and its diskspace limitations.

Last edited by Patman; 03-04-07 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If most of your standard DVDs look bad on this TV set, then you probably do have a TV problem.
Old 03-04-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The animated ones look fine, but I am guessing they would. Most "films" have some problems that I notice.

Is there a way to calibrate my set (greyscale) that doesn't require a bunch of specialized equipment? Can I go to Home Depot and find a paint chip for the correct grey to adjust to or something.

Essentially this TV was free as a replacement from another faulty set. But I still want to be satisfied with the image.
Old 03-05-07, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DLP causes rainbows and brain damage, can you really trust a TV that grew up with the calculator?
Old 03-09-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If DLP causes brain damage then my cellphone is a phaser with stun and kill setting.
Old 03-10-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Zollman
DLP causes rainbows and brain damage, can you really trust a TV that grew up with the calculator?
Some people should be banned.

For fun: Single-chip DLP is rainbows, it does not cause them. The issue is whether or not you see them as rainbows. And whether that bothers you.