DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

first Post.

Old 03-01-07, 12:22 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
first Post.

Hey, this my first post.
I have a Sony STRDG-1000 av system and just got a denon-dvd2910 dvd player.
When I run the thx optimode audio test, I hear slight static in each sound channel after it makes the pink noise. Like for example: Left Channel: Noise-stop-static Center: Noise-stop-Static and so on and so fourth. My old Sony player did not do thi, as neither does my xbox 360, however my Ps3 does do the slight static.
Pleasse not, No static has ever occoured during a film, only during the thx test.
Can anyone help me out????
Zollman is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 12:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Originally Posted by Zollman
Hey, this my first post.
I have a Sony STRDG-1000 av system and just got a denon-dvd2910 dvd player.
When I run the thx optimode audio test, I hear slight static in each sound channel after it makes the pink noise. Like for example: Left Channel: Noise-stop-static Center: Noise-stop-Static and so on and so fourth. My old Sony player did not do thi, as neither does my xbox 360, however my Ps3 does do the slight static.
Pleasse not, No static has ever occoured during a film, only during the thx test.
Can anyone help me out????
Hard to say exactly. Please don't take this the wrong way. The STRDG line from Sony is not very good quality, certainly not up to the level of the Denon player you have connected.

My hunch is that you are hearing the amp(s) and they are not likely to be quieter than they are. With a THD of .7%, that is not very good.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 12:32 PM
  #3  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
whats thd, also the issue is the same with my ps3.
Zollman is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 12:43 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Originally Posted by Zollman
whats thd, also the issue is the same with my ps3.
It is a total harmonic distortion figure, lower is better.

Also hard to say about the PS3 as well. How do you have these connected to the receiver?

Do you also hear the static if you just run the receiver's internal test tones without using the dvd player?
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 12:54 PM
  #5  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
The internal test tones display no static, my old dvd player displayed no static, my xbox 360 displyed no static, My PS3 is connected via HDMI and my denon is connected via coaxil, I tried the denon with optic but the static remaind. Once again, the static only manifists in 2 (denon/ps3) /of 3 (xbox360 plays fine.) dvd players in my home and only during the optimode. my hunch is very uninformed but I think it has somthing to do with sacd decoding circuityr. cause only the ps3 and denon can do sacd's while my old sony dvpns75h and my xbox360 cand do sacd.
Zollman is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 01:09 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
My hunch is the opposite. In order for the Denon to play SACD you would need to have the 6.1 outputs connected. My guess is that the Denon (for sure) and the PS3 (possibly) are passing such a clean signal that you are hearing the amps of the Sony receiver.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 04:53 PM
  #7  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
I am hardly an audiophile, but how can any digital signal be better than any other? pluss what do you mean hearing the Amps???
Please explain this to me as if i was a noob.
Im not but I am not very wise to the inner workings of audio terminolagy.
Zollman is offline  
Old 03-01-07, 05:42 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Originally Posted by Zollman
I am hardly an audiophile, but how can any digital signal be better than any other? pluss what do you mean hearing the Amps???
Please explain this to me as if i was a noob.
Im not but I am not very wise to the inner workings of audio terminolagy.
I am not sure it can be done with a simple explanation. It is not a case of one digital signal being better than the other. You are "hearing" the Sony amps because their quality is not that high when it comes to a noise threshold. The static you are hearing is coming from the Sony receiver.

If you would like to begin reading up try this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_system_measurements
Brian Shannon is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.