DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

first Post.

Old 03-01-07, 12:22 PM

first Post.

Hey, this my first post.
I have a Sony STRDG-1000 av system and just got a denon-dvd2910 dvd player.
When I run the thx optimode audio test, I hear slight static in each sound channel after it makes the pink noise. Like for example: Left Channel: Noise-stop-static Center: Noise-stop-Static and so on and so fourth. My old Sony player did not do thi, as neither does my xbox 360, however my Ps3 does do the slight static.
Pleasse not, No static has ever occoured during a film, only during the thx test.
Can anyone help me out????
Old 03-01-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Zollman
Hey, this my first post.
I have a Sony STRDG-1000 av system and just got a denon-dvd2910 dvd player.
When I run the thx optimode audio test, I hear slight static in each sound channel after it makes the pink noise. Like for example: Left Channel: Noise-stop-static Center: Noise-stop-Static and so on and so fourth. My old Sony player did not do thi, as neither does my xbox 360, however my Ps3 does do the slight static.
Pleasse not, No static has ever occoured during a film, only during the thx test.
Can anyone help me out????
Hard to say exactly. Please don't take this the wrong way. The STRDG line from Sony is not very good quality, certainly not up to the level of the Denon player you have connected.

My hunch is that you are hearing the amp(s) and they are not likely to be quieter than they are. With a THD of .7%, that is not very good.
Old 03-01-07, 12:32 PM

whats thd, also the issue is the same with my ps3.
Old 03-01-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

whats thd, also the issue is the same with my ps3.
It is a total harmonic distortion figure, lower is better.

Also hard to say about the PS3 as well. How do you have these connected to the receiver?

Do you also hear the static if you just run the receiver's internal test tones without using the dvd player?
Old 03-01-07, 12:54 PM

The internal test tones display no static, my old dvd player displayed no static, my xbox 360 displyed no static, My PS3 is connected via HDMI and my denon is connected via coaxil, I tried the denon with optic but the static remaind. Once again, the static only manifists in 2 (denon/ps3) /of 3 (xbox360 plays fine.) dvd players in my home and only during the optimode. my hunch is very uninformed but I think it has somthing to do with sacd decoding circuityr. cause only the ps3 and denon can do sacd's while my old sony dvpns75h and my xbox360 cand do sacd.
Old 03-01-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My hunch is the opposite. In order for the Denon to play SACD you would need to have the 6.1 outputs connected. My guess is that the Denon (for sure) and the PS3 (possibly) are passing such a clean signal that you are hearing the amps of the Sony receiver.
Old 03-01-07, 04:53 PM

I am hardly an audiophile, but how can any digital signal be better than any other? pluss what do you mean hearing the Amps???
Please explain this to me as if i was a noob.
Im not but I am not very wise to the inner workings of audio terminolagy.
Old 03-01-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am hardly an audiophile, but how can any digital signal be better than any other? pluss what do you mean hearing the Amps???
Please explain this to me as if i was a noob.
Im not but I am not very wise to the inner workings of audio terminolagy.
I am not sure it can be done with a simple explanation. It is not a case of one digital signal being better than the other. You are "hearing" the Sony amps because their quality is not that high when it comes to a noise threshold. The static you are hearing is coming from the Sony receiver.

If you would like to begin reading up try this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_system_measurements