DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I "think" my home theater is Complete...for now

Old 02-26-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I "think" my home theater is Complete...for now

So it has been a long time I have been sitting on the following equipment in my family room...

ProScan 36" SD Tube
Pioneer non-progressive DVD player
Yamaha RX-V595a Receiver
Sony Speakers from a HTIB
PS2
Denon CD changer
Series 2 Tivo

Since December, I have been starting my upgrade and I think I am done for now....

Pre-December:
New DVD player

December:
Plasma
PS3

January:
Tivo

February:
Receiver
Speakers

Current System:
Panasonic 50px60U

Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver
Paradigm Reference Series Millenia 200s front
Paradigm Reference Series Millenia 20 center
Paradigm Titans Rear
HSU-VTF2 sub woofer

Sony NSP75 Up converting DVD player
Playstation 3
Tivo Series 3
Denon CD Changer
Onkyo Turntable

Upgrading went much smoother than I thought it would have. I had been holding off on speakers for 5 years and thought I was going with the Studio series but then I heard the Millenias. Got a great deal from a store closing a location in NJ. I got the Yammy for ~40% under selling price at the same store.

I have a love/hate attitude with the electronics buying process.
Old 02-26-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice!

Beware those 2 little words that foretell your future......

"....for now"
Old 02-27-07, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How goes the S3? I saw one for ~$650...still too high for my tastest. Perhaps around $300...probably same for winner of HD/BR war.
Old 02-27-07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
How goes the S3? I saw one for ~$650...still too high for my tastest. Perhaps around $300...probably same for winner of HD/BR war.

I havent even set it up yet. It is in my rack and waiting for cablevision to install the cable cards.

I paid ~$615 for it. I only bought one now because I could transfer my lifetime from my S2 if I bought it before 1-30-07. I HATE monthly fees.
Old 02-27-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice system! Congrats!!! As Spiky said, "for now" only lasts so long

I haven't upgraded my system in over 6 months - a personal best!
Old 02-28-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Nice system! Congrats!!! As Spiky said, "for now" only lasts so long

I haven't upgraded my system in over 6 months - a personal best!
trust me, i chose those words carefully

but honestly, after dropping over 6k in the last 2 months it will be a while before I upgrade any more.

I MAY sell off the Yamaha receiver for a slightly larger one (2k series) when they are released at the end of the year.
Old 02-28-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my plan. Instead of bumping up a few hundred bucks in receiverdom every couple years, next time it is upgrade time I will just upgrade to a preamp. Then the time after that, an amp. Instead of two mediocre receiver upgrades, I'll be where I really want to be.

Or maybe vice versa, but I expect my reason for upgrading will be new codecs, so the preamp portion comes first.
Old 02-28-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Here's my plan. Instead of bumping up a few hundred bucks in receiverdom every couple years, next time it is upgrade time I will just upgrade to a preamp. Then the time after that, an amp. Instead of two mediocre receiver upgrades, I'll be where I really want to be.

Or maybe vice versa, but I expect my reason for upgrading will be new codecs, so the preamp portion comes first.
Excellent plan. My next upgrade is going to be a big one - a real room for my system. I'm not really in the market for a condo for at least another year, but a room that lends itself to audio is going to be a high priority.
Old 03-01-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just made a similar post few weeks ago, then I woke up. Are we really every truely done lol. I do feel a lot better now knowing I have some pretty damn nice compents across the board now. Nothing major lacking. So maybe a screen for me left and I'm done till something breaks. So congrats enjoy it while you can hehe.
Old 03-01-07, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by hdtv00
I just made a similar post few weeks ago, then I woke up. Are we really every truely done lol. I do feel a lot better now knowing I have some pretty damn nice compents across the board now. Nothing major lacking. So maybe a screen for me left and I'm done till something breaks. So congrats enjoy it while you can hehe.
I dont think we are ever truly done, but i do think we finish "stages".

Maybe its better I say I accomplished my short term goals, but I have still reaching for those long-term ones.

I actually just finished a big addition on my house and made sure I put in a full basement...17 x 17 with 8' ceilings. I built it with the thought in mind of making it a theater room.

I am going to build in slow. It will be framed out shortly and then I will spend some time doing all the wiring first, then the sheetrock/paint/decorating, and finally the purchase of the equipment.

So no, it is never really done.
Old 03-01-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I started my dedicated theater room about three years ago. And "finished" it pretty quickly. I have had some minor changes like new posters, some new lighting.

But at christmas upgraded the PJ to HD. Which make me want to build a slightly bigger and different material screen. So over the next couple of months I'll do a stagged upgrade

New screen
Paint the rest of the room
Re-hang drapes for better light control
Get rid of crappy carpet for something else
Old 03-01-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am closing in on 4 years for my theater.

Other than adding an Oppo recently and adding to the decor, I am pleased with the result and I spend my time enjoying it.

There is always something better, I simply choose to ignore those things for now.
Old 03-01-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I am closing in on 4 years for my theater.

Other than adding an Oppo recently and adding to the decor, I am pleased with the result and I spend my time enjoying it.

There is always something better, I simply choose to ignore those things for now.
Like you, I'm not a huge upgrade guy (but I have recently gotten the HD70 and PS3). But I'm finding myself paying more attention to the room itself. I find the room/decor really adds to the overall experience. Some very directly (like I need to re-hang the drapes for better light control), others is more purely for the looks (I hate the color of the carpet in the room).

I should be home more and have more time in March/April, so I'm hoping to spend some time working on the room.
Old 03-01-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I actually just finished a big addition on my house and made sure I put in a full basement...17 x 17 with 8' ceilings. I built it with the thought in mind of making it a theater room.
If not too late, change those dimensions to non-square. Audio problems galore with square rooms. Or, if too late, maybe throw in some built-in cabinetry to change the squareness. Just knocking off 2' on one side should do it. Or adding, of course.
Old 03-01-07, 10:26 PM

If not too late, change those dimensions to non-square. Audio problems galore with square rooms. Or, if too late, maybe throw in some built-in cabinetry to change the squareness. Just knocking off 2' on one side should do it. Or adding, of course.

it is not actually square. the room has six corners. 2 90 degree corners on the "screen" side of the room, and 4 45 degrees on the opposite.

_______A______
/ \
/ \
l_______________l
l_______________l
l_______________l
l_______________l
l_______________l
l_______________l
l_______________l
B
aort of like this ^^^^but wih sharper angles.

If "B" is 17' then "A" is 10'

EDIT: my attempt is not coming out right. just picture the room as an overhead view that looks like the facade of a ski chalet house, or half of a Grecian pool.
Old 03-02-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds excellent for a theater. Wider in the back to arrange seating.
Old 03-03-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think I'll ask this question in here instead of starting a new one. I'm very much due for some upgrades. I have a lower end Kenwood receiver that can only do DTS, 12-year-old floor standing Klipsch speakers, AudioSource front speaker and cheapy DesignAcoustics rear & subwoofer. I honestly don't know anything about AudioSource or DesignAcoustics (they were hand-me-downs).

The only part of my setup that might be a keeper are the Klipsch speakers and my new Oppo DVD player. I really want to take advantage of DVD-A with my Oppo. All of my speaker connections are hooked up through bare wire as opposed to RCA-type jack and jill connections. It's been so long since I've looked at speakers are they mostly bare wire conncections or cable-style today? I briefly looked at a DVD-A capable receiver and it seemed everything is set up for simple plug-in cables.

I don't know if I'm making any sense here , but what type of connections do most speakers use today?
Old 03-03-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I don't know if I'm making any sense here , but what type of connections do most speakers use today?
Depends on the speaker. Cheaper speakers us a push button that grabs bare wire.

Nicer speakers usually have a multi-way (I think use to be called 5-way) binding post. These allow different types of connection: bare wire, spade lugs, pins, banana plugs and one other that I can never remember.
Old 03-03-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Nicer speakers usually have a multi-way...
Got it. That actually helps me to know if I go shopping.
Old 03-03-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Got it. That actually helps me to know if I go shopping.
More info here....

http://stereos.about.com/cs/glossary...waybinding.htm

And is what they generally look and and I say these are the most popular on todays speakers (except on cheaper speakers),

Old 03-03-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey wheres the pick for bi-wire hehe i feel left out since mine has two of those for each speaker. Only thing I might add is look for a reciever that has TWO 5.1 inputs might save yourself some hassle later on. That way one for dvd-audio(which is amazing fyi) and one for later use when you need it.
Old 03-03-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Upgrade the center speaker to match your Klipsch first. Subwoofer a close second.

Klipsch are excellent for home theater due to all the speaking in TV and movies. Their horns really come across crystal clear. It's so effortless to hear even quiet conversations in movies, sometimes I just sit and listen to the clarity without paying attention to the actual show.

Getting into music is another story. I love the sound of DVD-A through my Klipsch compared to CD, but it is easy to recognize that if I had different speakers I would enjoy music even more. Esp classical music. The strings and piano are clearly not the best through Klipsch. So weigh your usage. HT vs high-end music. And, of course, your budget would come into play.
Old 03-04-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Upgrade the center speaker to match your Klipsch first. Subwoofer a close second.
Cool, probably will do this. I was reading about how DVD-A uses each speaker equally. I'm certainly not going to go buy six floor standing speakers, but would a really good 5.1 setup still show an improvement with DVD-A vs. DTS?

edit: I noticed in another thread talk about a refurbished Onkyo. I've never really had bad luck with refurbished, so I'd do this with little worry. Is this a pretty good receiver to bump up to the inputs I'd need from my Oppo (for DVD-A)?

ONKYO TXSR503 http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKTXSR503 Oh, and the 504 is available from Onkyo's site for $169 shipped.

7.1 setup for me might be a big, fat pain. I have hardwood floors with multiple open doorways between the receiver and back of the room (even going straight to speakers right behind the couch would go over hardwood). This 7.1 stuff might have to wait for another room.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 03-04-07 at 10:48 AM.