DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD-A/SACD with Oppo? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/493285-dvd-sacd-oppo.html)

atlantamoi 02-22-07 06:02 AM

DVD-A/SACD with Oppo?

Have an Oppo 970 on the way to replace my Philips 642. I'm buying this for the upconvert capabilities for DVD playback, but I was also impressed it can play DVD-A and SACD. However, I only have 5.1 setup right now through optical (I'd need a new receiver and better back speakers for the true DVD-A experience I believe).

My question is would I notice a difference between a DVD-A soundtrack vs. 5.1 DTS with my current configuration?

Brian Shannon 02-22-07 06:56 AM

I have never heard of a DVD-A soundtrack. DVD Audio is a competing format for SACD (Super Audio CD) and is a music with some video possibly on the disc.

Perhaps someone else has more info.

jonw9 02-22-07 07:38 AM

I found this in another forum. I also recall reading that the Oppo converts DVD-A and SACD to another (digital?) format before outputting.

Oh, you can get DD and DTS just fine over coax and optical from any DVD, but DVD-Audio is a separate format (sort of a sub-set of DVD) that includes an audio format called Meridian Lossless Packets (MLP) that is a high-resolution audio format using lossless compression (similar to the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio formats being offered on HD-DVD and Blu-ray). DVD-Audio discs typically also include a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS track for compatibility with standard DVD players, but it's the MLP track that is (was) the format's main reason for existance. The only way to get that MLP track is to either use multichannel analog output or one of the digital connections I mentioned before (HDMI v1.1 or higher, IEEE-1394, DenonLINK, ...).

atlantamoi 02-22-07 07:57 AM

Okay, that does answer my question. A DVD-A music disc would probably only use the DTS track for my 5.1 setup. I think I'd need to buy better back speakers (and one extra rear speaker?) plus have a receiver that can use HDMI or six composite cables. Let me know if I'm wrong. Not willing to dish out the extra bucks for all that at the moment.

Brian, I may have used incorrectly terminology by saying "soundtrack". I was just talking about the audio from DVD-A (music, that is).

hdtv00 02-22-07 05:58 PM

yes youll need 5.1 analog in reciever. dvd-audio and sacd are 5.1 channel only not 6.1 you wouldn't need a back center. Kinda of lame if you want to move to hd-dvd or bluray you'll want a reciever that does hdmi 1.3 which I see almost none of, but you wouldnt be lost you'd still have the 5.1 or higher analog inputs and let the hd dvd player decode the trueHD audio thats on some hd-dvd titles , which sounds amazing by the way. A reciever with dual 5.1 inputs would be best.

Pistol Pete 02-25-07 06:17 PM

If you are using the component-output hacked firmware, SACD playback breaks for a couple seconds between songs. Later firmware versions fix this problem, but the component output is disabled on commercial DVDs.