DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Well, looks like my 3 month old TV just Died!

Old 02-21-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, looks like my 3 month old TV just Died!

I went to power on my Insignia tonight and boom, no picture. All I get is a nice flashing led display at the bottom where the Insignia display is going from blue to orange.

Called Insignia Tech support and spoke with their outsourced tech support who was of no help. So, they referred me to Best Buy in home service. Spoke with a nice guy there who is going to have a tech come out to the home. They are supposed to call tomorrow to set up a time to come out.

I am pretty sure nothing will get fixed. The TV does have a 1 year warranty at least.

I did however decide to call the Best Buy I purchased it at to see if they would have some compassion, which they didn't since I was past the 30 day return.

All was fine up until tonight, obviously. The set is a 27 inch NS-27LCD. Buyer beware!
Old 02-21-07, 09:03 PM
X
Administrator

I thought Insignia was a Best Buy house brand. Based on that (mis?)information I would never touch it.
Old 02-21-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I thought Insignia was a Best Buy house brand. Based on that (mis?)information I would never touch it.
Yup yup, Best Buy house brand! According to the insignia rep, it is still under warranty and can be fixed. The manual even states it is under 1 yr warranty.
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Rumored to be made by Orion (Toshiba).
Old 02-21-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Rumored to be made by Orion (Toshiba).
I heard the same thing Josh.
Old 02-22-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought a MAG computer LCD 4 years ago. MAG is a Best Buy has brand but the panel was made by Samsung.

The same Samsung panel was twice the price.

The MAG is still running strong.

These re-badged panels should all be forced to let the consumer know who made it.
Old 02-22-07, 10:10 AM
X
Administrator

MAG isn't a Best Buy brand. They're also sold at Staples and by various distributors.

They've been around for a long time and have a pretty good reputation.

http://www.maginnovision.com
Old 02-22-07, 10:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Is that 1 year parts AND labor or just parts and 90 days labor? Hope it costs you nothing for the repair.
Old 02-22-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X
MAG isn't a Best Buy brand. They're also sold at Staples and by various distributors.

They've been around for a long time and have a pretty good reputation.

http://www.maginnovision.com

then i am wrong about the brand. it definately is a BB brand.

VPR Matrix was the brand...sorry.

it was a "porshe designed" LCD made by Samsung.
Old 02-22-07, 12:41 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, I can believe that about VPR Matrix. I bought a few of their CRTs at BB for a client a year or so ago. I think one of them has since died.
Old 02-22-07, 03:01 PM

calling the store will get you no where. I work best buy cs so I know how this process works. You definitely need to there have the tech come to your house, without him/her there will be no exchange or repair done. If they authorize an exchange, the tech will give you a printout when he comes to your house. IF and when the exchange is authroized by the tech, you'd have to go to your local bby and pick out another inisgnia. cannot switch brand since this will be a mnf exchnage. see warranty info on tvs here
http://www.insignia-products.com/t-w..._I-LC26Q1.aspx
Old 02-22-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by amd555
calling the store will get you no where. I work best buy cs so I know how this process works. You definitely need to there have the tech come to your house, without him/her there will be no exchange or repair done. If they authorize an exchange, the tech will give you a printout when he comes to your house. IF and when the exchange is authroized by the tech, you'd have to go to your local bby and pick out another inisgnia. cannot switch brand since this will be a mnf exchnage. see warranty info on tvs here
http://www.insignia-products.com/t-w..._I-LC26Q1.aspx

That would be fine by me. I called BB today since they said someone would call today but didn't and was told that I was misinformed and that I should receive a call by Monday. I was told that they cannot find anyone in my area. I find it amazing that in the whole Philadelphia area, there is no one.
Old 02-22-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured I would call again, ask a few questions. Turns out, the person I spoke with today didn't even log our conversation as required. The guy I spoke with tonight told me that if no contact is made by Monday afternoon, then to request to speak with a supervisor. I asked what if no one can come and fix it, he then said an exchange would be arranged. I asked, based on his experience, the chance of an exchange without a tech coming to look at it is about 10-15% (in his opinion.)

I'll probably call again tomorrow and bother someone else. Might ask for a supervisor then instead of waiting until Monday.
Old 02-23-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update!

Good news! Got a call from Best Buy just a few minutes ago and was told that since the could not find a tech in my area, they would begin the process for exchange. I was told I could hear from them as early as Monday so I can go in and make an exchange.

Wooooohooooooooooooo!

The good thing is, if this happens again within a year, I will kinow they will not have anyone to fix it and free exchange again!
Old 03-03-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after a week of bullshit, I was told that all along I could have just returned my TV to the store for an exchange. I ended up getting a store credit and bought a 32 inch Westinghouse which I absolutely love!