DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV's with Built-In DVR - anyone own?

Old 02-21-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TV's with Built-In DVR - anyone own?

Does anyone own a TV with a built in DVR? I noticed OneCall had a decent price on a 62" Mits with built in DVR. I was just curious how does it work exactly?

I currently have a Comcast DVR so everything is controller there....

However, with the Mits, can I just plug my coax cable directly into the TV and record stuff or do I need a CableCARD? (I was trying to avoid the latter as Comcast likes to charge a lot). Also, if I could get rid of my DVR from Comcast I would save money (or put it in a different room...which is what the wife wants).

Thanks.
Old 02-21-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you would need a cable card to receive the digital channels, but I am not certain. My Mits only gets the analog channels and the music channels w/o the cable card.
Old 02-21-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You would need a cable card to receive digital cable channels, although it can probably receive analog cable channels without a card. If this is an HD DVR in the TV, it might be able to pull in some free local HD channels off the cable line. Many cable companies transmit local channels in QAM format (for free), which most HD tuners can accept. But that won't include stuff like HBO or ESPN.
Old 02-21-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pay $0 per month for my Comcast CableCard, and it was $35 for installation. Wouldn't mind a TV with a DVR, but I don't have one. Do they come with some kind of guide so that you don't have program them by time and date like a VCR? You don't get a program guide via CableCard, although my TV does have TVGuide listings that it populates from some signal the cable company sends. Not nearly as complete as the program guide, especially for the digital and HD channels.
Old 02-21-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Does anyone own a TV with a built in DVR? I noticed OneCall had a decent price on a 62" Mits with built in DVR. I was just curious how does it work exactly?

I currently have a Comcast DVR so everything is controller there....

However, with the Mits, can I just plug my coax cable directly into the TV and record stuff or do I need a CableCARD? (I was trying to avoid the latter as Comcast likes to charge a lot). Also, if I could get rid of my DVR from Comcast I would save money (or put it in a different room...which is what the wife wants).

Thanks.

yeah, i believe there is a law against charging a lot for cablecards. cable providers are only allowed to charge a nominal fee to cover costs.
Old 02-21-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Comcast started charging me like $6.95 + $5.00 for a CableCARD since I already had a cable box. It was free for a while, then they just randomly started charging.

I'll stick with my set-top box....seems easier and more complete than the TVGuide thing. Oh well, back to looking for a TV.
Old 02-21-07, 10:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think those tvs with built-in dvrs have the TVGuide, which works great for something you don't have to pay for monthly. The only "but" (there's always one) is what happens when analog gets turned off. TVGuide receives all the info (time, shows, descriptions, etc) through analog. Will or will they not have a fix after the cutoff. We have a Sony dvr so we are in the same boat as everyone else regarding TVGuide's info.